Freemium

Discussion in 'Rants & Accomplishments' started by Wolf, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Wolf

Wolf Master of Commas

Friend Code:
    GwPG
    Multi Player Raid#:
    N/A
    How do you begin to talk about a subject that can turn the passive to persistent players to rage. As a posted member my personal opinion need not be stated here.

I will instead use the comments and reports that have been used to describe the trend in the various mediums relating to the subject, including DENA, The Guardian and MAC World

I begin with Southpark, I’m sure most of you are familiar with it to some degree.
    It is here I first heard the term freemium. Understandably, satire can be seen in many ways, I felt some light of truth to some of it so, I will skip the review and get to the five principles of a successful freemium game as told.
    1. Simplicity : A player must be enticed with a simple game loop.
    2. Compliments: Make sure you’re making the gamer feel special and good about themselves.
    3. Fake Currency: Train the players to spend fake currency.
    4. Switcheroo: Offer the customers a way to spend their real money for fake virtual dollars, so they’ll forget they’re spending money
    5. Waiting Game: Make the game about waiting, but make the player pay not to wait. and the game needs to be barely fun.
    I believe number 5 can be ignored, as is the problem of trying to be overly funny. although waiting for events is a consideration further along
    Next, we look at who owns and distributes the game, DENA, or whom many feel should say.

“just give us the money Lebowski or we fuck’s you UP”
    -The Big Lebowski-

Nintendo and DeNA have also agreed to form a capital alliance. Under the capital alliance, Nintendo will acquire 15,081,000 of DeNA's treasury shares, which corresponds to 10.00 percent of its total outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. DeNA will simultaneously acquire 1,759,400 of Nintendo's treasury shares, which corresponds to 1.24 percent of its outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. The payment is due April 2, 2015.
    President and CEO of DeNA.Guidance for Quarter Ending June 30, 2015
    • Revenue: 37.7 billion yen
    • Operating profit: y3.4 billion en
    Profit for the period attributable to owners of the parent: 1.1 billion yen

"Cole, how many ways, can I tell you to shut the fuck up"
    -True Detective-

Now .I don’t know much but I do understand, BILLION. what ever your feelings are this is a business and money is the reason for the season. enough of this let’s try The Guardian.

“Free-to-play didn’t seem “evil” as its fiercest critics claimed: it was just a catch-all term for games that would make their money from in-app payments rather than upfront purchases.More and more, the most popular mechanics within freemium games feel designed to make us pay, rather than to delight us so much that we want to spend money.”
    “I’d feel the pressure to buy more of it. Suddenly, it didn’t seem fun.”
    “a wave of games with diligently-studied monetisation but no original spark to their gameplay.”

So, sometimes she has a good time and sometimes she don”t. I get that, I guess, being divorced twice. The point that the paying players support the game with revenue, keeping the innovation moving forward and stalls the fall into obscurity. When was the last time you heard the word,AngryBirds?

“ It’s over Johnny”
    - Rambo,First Blood-

Now Mac world

“Under freemium, the incentive is all cock-eyed. The goal is instead to create a game that’s compelling initially but frustratingly slow and obstacle-strewn later on, so the player is encouraged to spend real-world cash to skip ahead, or to seek the cheap gratification of collectibles or overpowered upgrades. Balance, a finely graded difficulty curve, a pleasurable and satisfying user experience - none of this is considered at all.” “Games in those days would be built entirely around the need to attract passing youngsters with flash and user-friendly design in early levels, and then to impose absurd difficulty spikes once they were hooked, to get them pumping in 10p after 10p.”

There seems to be a theme emerging. Some are concerned over the ability of others to control their urges. I wonder, if it is to shame those who find pleasure in such fare.

“Shame, ding ding ,Shame,ding ding”
    -Game of Thrones “

Ok, i”m bushed. I play the because I like it and I don’t do anything, I don”t like unless ordered. I have stated in the past, the community offers more enjoyment sometimes than the game. I watched a while before joining this forum, it’s got moxie. Stellar staff and original posters. As, I started with Southpark, I will end.

“Freedom ain’t free, it cost’s a buck O’ five”
    -Team America-

My point, for Felixier

I have stated my personal opinion about this in past posts, It is clear to anyone who reads the threads here, there are many who can play without pay and max the game while others fight and too often lose money or mythriil and do what is called here “Rage Quit”. My investment has always been for my own gratification and any loss is understood going in. I found more to like than just the game. I found this place.

Wolf out

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    guaje, Blu and Elskidor like this.
  2. Evil Crusader

Evil Crusader The Very (N)Ice Cream Mod

Medals:
    From my Steam signature: "live Freemium or die p(l)aying". Nuff said.

Wolf likes this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf Master of Commas

Friend Code:
    GwPG
    Multi Player Raid#:
    N/A
    You always make me wish I had found this forum, when iI started playing
    "Live Evil"

Evil Crusader likes this.
  4. Blu

Blu Well-Known Member

I am currently, and have always, lived off my luck :)

But damn, the 100 gems is actually accumulating.

Wolf and Evil Crusader like this.
  5. felixier

felixier Salt Lord Staff Member

Friend Code:
    9BVy
    Uhh... you had a very interesting post here. But it kinda fell off at the end. Not really sure what the point was or your opinion on the matter, and would love to see more to better understand what you are trying to say :)

6. Wolf

Wolf Master of Commas

Friend Code:
    GwPG
    Multi Player Raid#:
    N/A
    Too kind, I added a statement in the post to help

play on my friend

felixier likes this.
  7. felixier

felixier Salt Lord Staff Member

Friend Code:
    9BVy
    Excellent summary and something everyone playing should read before playing a freemium game like this one :)

Wolf likes this.
  8. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member

Medals:
    Quite the interesting read and really that's the economic genius in freemium games. It's the very reason I can never start paying--because I'll always be compelled to try for more. Once the floodgates are open they aren't easy to shut.

Wolf and Evil Crusader like this.
  9. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member

Medals:
    Essentially it's like trying meth.

10. Evil Crusader

Evil Crusader The Very (N)Ice Cream Mod

Medals:
    Nope. That is cheaper (and healthier) :p

Wolf likes this.