4* Abilities dead?

Discussion in 'Abilities & Soul Breakers' started by Tamrin, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Tamrin

Tamrin Member

With all the recently released 5* abilities gifted in the events of late. It's safe to say that the vast majority of 4* abilities are totally out classed and will be forgotten about. With obvious exceptions such as breakdowns and life siphon.

So a message to any new player's or anyone who might be curious, don't bother with:
    Ninja, monk, samurai, combat, dragoon 4* abilities they are dead. :'(

talsa88 likes this.
  2. Vic

Vic Absolute Warlord

Sure if you have a lot of major orbs for 5* hones. I still find various 4* abilities making it into setups. Most of my characters tend to carry one 5* ability (r2-3) and one 4* ability (r4-r5).

3. OhCanada

OhCanada Impostor Mod Staff Member Moderator "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    Don't forget wrath! I'll sometimes bring a 4* spell or spellblade just to hit a weakness if the upgraded version is taken by someone else. I sometimes use 3* abilities like element jumps for characters that don't have any better access.

4. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Absolute Warlord TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    YNvY
    Plenty of good 4* abilities. Phantasm has uses, as does Gust for AoE wind. Bladeblitz and samurai stuff helps on clearing trash. Banishing Strike dispels things. Leeching Leap is very good. Several good things in the magic tab.

smeezus likes this.
  5. Vetis09

Vetis09 Active Member

Friend Code:
    iKmU
    i think certain classes have some limited use of their 4* if the 5* is honed. Blm for example I would prefer 5*. Summons however 4* is still good. Whm has tons of 4* to use. Breakdowns and breakdown dances are good. Most of the status inflicting abilities are at 4* level and needed sometimes for medal conditions. I'd say about 50% are dead to me personally as better 5* options and I had materials to hone.

NoisePilot likes this.
  6. talsa88

talsa88 Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    gYeG
    This is why I wish the creative team behind the game would get...uh...creative? Their current method of changing the game up is just increasing difficulty level by increasing stats, and OCCASIONALLY including some other gimmick (like the Mandragora battles). The problem with this is that it's the textbook definition of power creep, and it means that, at the expense of fun or unusual gameplay, they are perfectly fine power creeping old stuff out of existence.

This seems like an unreasonable expectation out of a phone game - this desire for gaming variety over just power creeping stuff - but for a series built on interesting RPG gameplay changes (that still mostly fit a similar mold), it shouldn't be unreasonable. All it could take is stuff like more use of interesting status ailments (mega-Sap that you need Memento of Prayer for! Multi-hit debuffs to make stuff like boost and faith viable!) or elements like battles that make you take out certain enemies first (Seymour's first fight from X, even required Steal in the original!)

Unfortunately, the dev team has opted for the choice (read: blatant, and bland, power creep) that will simply require certain soul breaks (read: money). If you don't agree with me, then tell me one magicite dungeon that can't just be curb stomped with a few select relics. They pretty much all have one or two things that differentiate them, usually superficial things (see: Fenrir randomly giving himself haste and blink, more of an annoyance than a true strategy change). Otherwise, their only "new" element that might require significant adjustments is their increased stats and their resistance to debuffs.

Then again, I'm also tipsy :Ded:

Tamrin likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Active Member

Friend Code:
    5mJF
    The 4* spellblade are good to Man, do heavy damage and with bartz is incredible!

8. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Absolute Warlord TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    YNvY
    Maybe. I'd advise honing 3* spellblades instead of switching to 4*. They're not that much better, and a lot less people can use them.

9. Omuno

Omuno Dedicated Warrior

Friend Code:
    SYCF
    Yeah, the damage abilities are pretty much obsolete, still, they could be used as a backup skill for some people that only have 4* access for the ability school.

There is still some 3* that have a niche use, especially on the White Magic school.

Tamrin likes this.
  10. Tamrin

Tamrin Member

It's not only 4* abilities have fallen out of use. It's 5* aswell Does anybody use Barrage, Doppleblade, Flare, Flare strike, Odin, Mug Time, Flashing Blade?
    I think talsa88 is right. Rather than fixing or updating things adding 3* abilities or something everything is just higher and higher.

11. lucifer316

lucifer316 Official RKF Underworld Contact Tyro's Dad

Medals:
    I just used Mug Time. There was a Condition that recently called for Slow.

ZWei likes this.
  12. Vetis09

Vetis09 Active Member

Friend Code:
    iKmU
    talsa88 likes this.
  13. robaisolken

robaisolken Official RKF Technique Instructor

Please, I just start JP TODAY. You already count me as jp player now?

Tamrin and OhCanada like this.
  14. Vetis09

Vetis09 Active Member

Friend Code:
    iKmU
    Given you follow the meta change, give us the info on chat, and prepare for things six months in advance..... yes I do count you as a jp player.

Tamrin likes this.
  15. OhCanada

OhCanada Impostor Mod Staff Member Moderator "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    fixed

16. Vetis09

Vetis09 Active Member

Friend Code:
    iKmU
  17. Tamrin

Tamrin Member

I look forward to overhauling abilities. I did notice they've changed the animation for ruinga for some reason. Don't think that the actual skill is any different though.

(I certainly don't use 3* Spell-Blade btw as it's so easy to r5 the 4* with the new dailies)