A Historia Crystal Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Kantolin, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Kantolin

Kantolin Airborne Mod Staff Member Moderator Forum Advocate Dragoon Master

Kantolin's Historia Crystal Guide

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a lengthy guide on Historia Crystals, one of the new and rather neat things that Final Fantasy: Record Keeper has thrown our way! I'm hoping this helps explain, well, how they work and how you should probably level them.

As a huge disclaimer... I've spent a lengthy chunk of time doing 'passive math', and have hit the point where I give, haha. If my math is incorrect, please point me at more accurate math and I will readjust ^_^

I am needlessly verbose, and thus this is long. SUMMARILY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TL;DR: Pick your strongest realm and spend your rats tails getting that Historia Crystal up to as high as you can, hopefully at least 80/99. If one of the soon-upcoming Dreambreakers is one you're targeting, that increases that realm's HC's value to get up in levels. Historia Crystals are still very strong outside of their realm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Table of Contents~
    - What is a Historia Crystal? Also a Terminology list.
    - What do Historia Crystals do? Be way more specific, please.
    - Lists of effects
    - How do I get at those Rat's Tails to level it up?
    - Special Case: The current FF9 Dreambreaker
    - Okay... how exactly should I be leveling these things?
    - How long can I expect all this to take?
    - Dreambreaker Order
    - Final Reminders

- What is a Historia Crystal? Also a Terminology list.

A Historia Crystal is basically an alternative to a Magicite Deck. They are aimed more firmly towards Realm-based content (Dreams, Torments, Dreambreakers, Weekly events) than elemental content (Magicites, Fat Chocobo).

At the bottom of your party setup screen, there is a small icon that lets you toggle between using Magicite or using a Historia Crystal. When a team is saved to your favorites, it remembers that choice.

You get all Historia Crystals from stepping into the Cardia section of the game; once you've stepped in amidst the cutscene you'll have all the Historia Crystals at level one, with a single Historia Crystal for each realm.

Historia Crystals use items known as 'Rat's Tails' to level up. Rat's Tails are the same as growth eggs (which are for characters) or arcana (which are for magicites); these are similar, just for Historia Crystals.

At first, your Historia Crystal is level-capped at level 50, just like characters. To break their level cap, you have to complete the appropriate realm's torment. If you have already cleared the torment in question, you do not have to complete it again for this purpose. Each level of torment you clear gives you an additional level cap boost, to a maximum level cap of 99, again like characters.

(To use a specific example: The FF9 torment is called 'The Final Jest'. The Final Jest, Part I has a difficulty of 240, and lets you break your FF9 Historia Crystal from a max level of 50 to a max level of 65. Part 2 lets you break that FF9 HC again, to a new max level of 80. Completing part 3 with any time gives you the final max level cap of 99).

Historia Crystals essentially don't get experience on their own. Or more accurately they sort of do, but they get 1/1000th the experience that a character would get, which really boils down to 'basically nothing'. That is sufficiently low that it's not worth bringing them around when you're dailying or grinding in favor of magicite, since at least magicite gets something out of it.

Terminology I'm using:
    - HC: Historia Crystal. It's easier to type HC for shorthand sometimes.
    - Rat's Tail: Items used to give experience points to your Historia Crystals, to level them up
    - Node: 'Passive' bonuses that your Historia Crystals give to characters. You can see these via long pressing on the Historia Crystal.
    - 50/65: The first number is the Historia Crystal's current level, while the second number is the Historia Crystal's current level cap. So this specific example means the HC is level 50, and its current level cap is 65.
    - Magicite Deck: A given set of five magicite. People arrange them into 'decks', as though they were a hand of playing cards, to ensure you have the passive effects you need.

- What do Historia Crystals do? Be way more specific, please.

You activate them like magicite. Unlike 3* - 5* magicite, they are available immediately to be summoned, and are then instant cast. (For the curious, this is also how 6* magicite work)

When you activate them, they have an 'entry' effect. Then periodically, they will jump in for a 'follow-up' effect. Each Historia Crystal does a total of three follow-up attacks. After the third, you can call them a second time in a match. This paragraph is identical to magicite, as a note, but is being listed here for completion.

Equipping a Historia Crystal bolsters your entire party. If you long click on any Historia Crystal, you will see a section with 'Historia Effects'. Each of those nodes provides its benefits in a way identical to magicite passives.

Most of these nodes effects everyone in your party. The three exceptions are the three 'sky blue' colored nodes, which only effect people of the same realm as the Historia Crystal.

At the top of the Historia Crystal is its stats. When the game determines 'Exactly how much of a stat boost do you get from equipping this Historia Crystal', it is based on those stats. You can 'link' characters to the Historia Crystal to power up the Historia Crystal's stats. The linked characters increase their percentage by clearing certain tasks, listed if you long press on a character. The characters you pick to link do not need to be in your party for any benefit; all they do is power up the Historia Crystal's stats.

The damage of the entry skill and the damage of the follow-up attacks depend entirely on how many times the Historia Crystal's level has been broken. So a level 50/65, 60/65, and 65/65 Historia Crystal will do the same damage. Leveling it up bolsters the stats and the nodes, not the damage.

Next up comes more specifics on each of the nodes, but that is the gist of what they do. Remember that most of a Historia Crystal applies to everyone in your party, not just people from the Historia Crystal's realm. It does get better in its realm, though.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Lounas, cactusJed and Roche like this.
  2. Kantolin

- Lists of effects

~Historia Crystal Entry effects~
    No Level Cap Breaks: Four hits (3,000 each), then one hit of 10,000.
    One cap break (50/65): Four hits (5,000 each), then one hit of 30,000. Party gets Omni Elemental Boost level 1
    Two level cap breaks (65/80): Four hits (7,000 each), then one hit of 50,0000. Party gets Omni Elemental Boost level 1
    Three level cap breaks (80/99): Four hits (9,999 each), then one hit at 99,999. Party gets Omni Elemental Boost 3

All of these damage numbers are non elemental and flat numbers. Effects that lower 'all damage' will affect them (So magicite/Odin Rage modes that reduce all damage will reduce them accordingly). They are bolstered by the appropriate realm chain.

~Historia Crystal follow-up effects~
    No Level Cap Breaks: One hit, (5,000 damage)
    One cap break (50/65): One hit, (10,000 damage). Target gets Omni Imperil level 1
    Two level cap breaks (65/80): One hit, (20,000 damage). Target gets Omni Imperil level 1
    Three level cap breaks (80/99): One hit, (30,000 damage). Target gets Omni Imperil level 1

The Historia Crystal will do three of these follow-up attacks. Just like the entry damages, all of these damage numbers are non elemental and flat numbers, and effects that lower 'all damage' will affect them. They are bolstered by the appropriate realm chain.

~Historia Effects~
    Stat Boon: Boosts Atk, Def, Mag, Res, and Mind
    Health Boon: Boosts max HP
    Critical Boost: Boosts Critical hit chance and critical damage
    Anti-Damage: Reduces physical and magical damage taken
    Fast Act: Reduces delay (Your abilities charge faster)
    Healing Boon: Boosts how much you heal
    Surging Power: Boosts your damage the higher your HP

Ancient Echo: Attack: Boosts damage dealt by [realm] heroes
    Ancient Echo: Protection: Reduces damage taken by [realm] heroes
    Ancient Echo: Blessing: Increases damage dealt and reduces damage taken by [realm] heroes in synergy.

The top seven nodes effect everybody in your team. Ancient Echo: Attack & Protection bolster only the realm that matches the Historia Crystal, while Ancient Echo: Blessing only effects the realm that matches the Historia Crystal in synergy.

It is worth noticing that most of these effects boost your whole team.

~Historia Link Missions~
    In the Historia Crystal long press menu, you can long press on a character to both view these 'missions' and to change linked characters. The cap is 100 points, although you can go above that if you'd like.

Universal - Everyone has all four of these:
    - Reach level 99 (40)
    - Unlock all Job Spheres (10)
    - Unlock all Legend Spheres (10)
    - Use Thirty Life Crystal Water (10)

Everyone then has three of these, depending on character:
    - Use thirty Power Crystal Water (10)
    - Use Thirty Aegis Crystal Water (10)
    - Use Thirty Null Crystal Water (10)
    - Use Thirty Magic Crystal Water (10)
    - Use Thirty Spirit Crystal Water (10)

Then everyone has one of these two:
    - Reach Magia level 25, then Magia level 50 (15, 15) (Total of 30)
    - Unlock ten Record Board tiles, then Unlock Twenty (15, 15) (Total of 30)

As a reminder, the linked characters do not need to be in your actual party for any reason. Their presence and the strength of their link levels up the Historia Crystal, which then effects everyone in your team regardless of realm or person.

Really, the majority of a Historia Crystal buffs everybody, haha, just not the three sky blue colored nodes.

- How do I get at those Rat's Tails to level it up?

Right now, we can't farm these - they come in a limited weekly/monthly quantity. There are a series of Cardia missions which get you rat's tails, and you get rat's tails from completing dreams, torments, and dreambreakers. You can view the missions, and which ones have been done, by going to the Cardia section of the game, clicking any of the three categories, and then clicking 'Citadel of Trials' in the upper right corner.

One set of Missions are weekly. These are always the same:
    - Master (1 ... 7) Cardia dungeons with a difficulty of 180 or higher
    - Master (1 ... 7) Cardia Dungeons with a difficulty of 450 or higher

There is then a Monthly set of missions, which depend on the current dreambreaker:
    - Master the [Realm] Torment with three or more [realm] heroes (1, 3, 5) times.
    - Master the [Realm] Torment, part 3, with three or more [realm] heroes (1, 3, 5) times.
    - Master the [Realm] Dreambreaker dungeon

These have two general directions for earning Rat's Tails, which depend on how far you are in game progression.

Option A: There's no way I can clear a d??? dungeon

No sweat. Every week, clear any easiest difficulty torment. Pick a realm where you have a strong awakening, and make sure you bring at least three people from that realm, and you're golden. The easiest difficulty torments are well within reach, especially as you start powering up a Historia Crystal.

Then every month, try your darndest to get whatever the realm's monthly is via beating that realm's easiest difficulty torment in specific. Again, you can bring two people from out of realm, so if you are weak in a realm, bring a strong awakening and maybe chain from out of realm, give both of them your mako mights, and then have three people from the realm frantically throw healing around to keep them alive.

For this first week, try to beat the FF9 torment seven times, to knock out both missions at once.

Option B: I can beat a d??? dungeon! Yay!

Every week, do that seven times. Try to get one d??? run on auto so you can quickly do it and avoid some burnout. If the monthly is in a realm you can do, try to struggle it down the requisite five times. And if you can beat the dreambreaker, then, uh, wow haha, get that done too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - Special Case: The current FF9 Dreambreaker

Normally, the 'Master the Dreambreaker' mission requires you to actually beat the dreambreaker boss. But for this first month, the FF9 Dreambreaker (Deathgaze) will allow you to master the fight if you can deal at least 10% of Deathgaze's HP and petrify someone in your team. This will cause you to master the dungeon, giving you Garnet's Dress Record and a giant pile of rat's tails from the mission. This won't work on any other Dreambreaker, mind you.

It's definitely worth trying to get that done! Here are a few tips for this cycle.
    Petrification skills: Break Strike (4* Spellblade), or Break (4* Black Magic). The Break spell is much more accurate - you have a 78% chance of petrifying yourself with it, while you only have a ~50% chance of petrifying yourself with break strike... but maybe you'll have an ability slot open on Steiner and not Vivi/Kuja. Or both!

The goal is 450,000 damage, and you have 15 of Deathgaze's turns to do it in before he kicks you out of the fight.

Deathgaze will always do the same moves every time. He'll open with a piercing wind attack on slots 1, 3, and 5, then physically hit everyone for piercing damage, going up one rage level.

On turn 3, he does Wind Barrier. This gives him haste, protect, shell, and an atk/def buff. You can counter the first three buffs with dispel, while the second requires Marcus or Zidane to throw Mug Bloodlust at him.

Turn 4 is the first big concern - he utilize Ultimate Demon's Claw, hitting everyone for piercing physical damage which also saps them 100% of the time. Then turn 5 is ice damage to slots 2, 3, and 5, followed by Maelstrom on turn 6 which 'sets everyone's HP equal to 1'. If you are still sapped on turn 6, you pretty much always will die.

Having a form of regen kick in right after the turn 4 sap can buy you some more turns - either that, or have someone sit on their turn and use an instant heal during Maelstrom's animation and hope the game registers your instant heal before the sap tick. Regen sources are Angel Song (Bard 5, Eiko or Garnet can use this) or Memento of Prayer (White 3, Beatrix and Kuja can use this, in addition to the dedicated white mages). Quina has a BSB which is an astra as well, as a note, so it can pre-empt the sap. Quina also has a glint+ that is regenega, which counters and is countered by sap, so if you're just looking at 10% that may be plenty.

As a note, he does Ultimate Demon's Claw (sapping you) on turn 9, and Maelstrom (HP=1) on turn 11, so you'll need another regen there.

OSBs are fantastic here. If you have Steiner's realm chain, open with it. If you have a historia crystal, open with that right after the first rage level increase - unless you have 6* magicite you won't have time to wait for a regular magicite to charge. You can afford to have one out of realm character, but their damage will be halved - that probably means your out of realm character needs to be either a chain (Wind chain maybe?) or a healer/supporter. Very little in the first 15 turns is not piercing, so Tyro isn't a great choice for godwall, but he may be for attack or crit boosts. You're going to get hit a /lot/, and be sure you have your petrify person petrify someone (probably themselves). You may have to use the RW healer to help Eiko keep up, if you don't have strong healing kit.

For me personally, OSBs are what pushed me over the finish line - Steiner threw an OSB which got me the numbers I needed.

It's hard, but good luck! You have until July 8th to complete the mission, but they may patch out 'petrify and 10% is victory' before that, so I'd try to tackle it as soon as possible!

Lounas and Roche like this.
  3. Kantolin

- Okay... how exactly should I be leveling these things?

This answer depends heavily on where you are in progression, so let's cover the short-answer ones first, then D will be much longer haha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stratum A: I only have 4* magicites, or don't even have 4* magicites yet (Still on 3*s, haven't done magicites yet at all, yadda).

Pick a realm with someone who has a strong awakening or sync for you, or your favorite realm otherwise. Get that particular Historia Crystal up as high as you can - your goal is 80/99, but really the moment you hit 50/65 it'll be great. Bring it everywhere, it's tremendously better than your other options and will be for a good long time. Remember that to break its cap, you have to beat the appropriate level of torment - definitely worth struggling to beat the middle-difficulty torment so you can have at /least/ a 65/80 HC. Remember that you only have to do 10% of a torment now to count as completing it, and the cap-break items are all 'first time rewards' so it's okay that you didn't master.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stratum B: I have 6* magicites.

Your magicite deck will likely outperform your Historia Crystal deck outside of dreambreaker/torment situations. You should look at the upcoming dreambreakers and see - which ones do you think you have a good chance at? Pick one of those and pump up your Historia Crystal - it'll have to be at least 85/99 in synergy to compete with a well made 6* magicite deck, and you really want it higher. Try to aim for a realm that is less mono-elemental (your water deck will probably do fine in a FFX setting, but your FF3 team is probably multi-elemental and will be harder to Magicite up properly), but really, aim for the realm that you think you can dreambreaker, as they are hard and what Historia Crystals are for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stratum C: I have 5* magicites, but they are uninherited.

An 80/99 Historia Crystal is better than your magicite deck. Since it is generally better, you're likely to end up using it for various Odins and your remaining 5* magicites. Try to find a realm which has characters you're likely to use for a few of these - if you're definitely going to rock Xezat, Kelgar, and GogoV in the future, then the FFV Historia Crystal is probably up your alley. Do remember, though, that most of what a Historia Crystal gives you is realm agnostic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stratum D: I have 5* magicites, and generally a pretty strong magicite deck

This is the tricky situation to be in, haha.

From here it's a bit of a tradeoff. In realm content, once you get to 80/99 the Historia Crystal is /probably/ better, but it's less clear cut. But let me look at out of realm content.

You can customize your magicite deck to do 'exactly what you want'. The things you focus on will likely have larger direct buffs than your Historia Crystal, although it's hard to get /everything/. Magicite sometimes have unusual effects - anything besides imperil or empower is something a Historia Crystal simply cannot do, so if you need Phoenix' healing or Lakshmi's astra then it's Magicite or bust. Deathgaze's hand of vengeance is also a thing that Historia Crystals simply do not have. Magicites buff your elemental chain (admittedly by 'four' by the time they're done), and the empowers and dampens can be life saving. Magicites also get actual XP, so

Historia Crystals do a lot more damage, and it's basically guaranteed damage. A level 80/99 will always break every Odin's savage mode, no matter the damage reduction, while wind weak or earth weak Odin’s defense increases might mean that a magicite wouldn't break savage mode even with their /entry/ sometimes (This happened to me). A Historia Crystal, conversely, will break savage mode even with every followup, regardless of if chain just went down or hasn't gone up or whatever else is going on. HC's essentially give Omni Element Boost 1 or 3, and then give imperil 30% - the imperil is spread out a little bit, but the HC is then available immediately in the fight and thus can get its three followup hits more quickly. Finally, HCs give buffs to a lot of things you might not have had otherwise - it can be hard to squeeze on the defense boosts /and/ the crit damage /and/ the fast act /and/ everything else you need.

So it's up in the air. The right answer is probably to act much like the 6* magicite example above - take a look at 'what dreambreakers are you considering'. Give a secondary nod to Odins you're clearing/working on, or d??? torments you'd like to get on farm. You definitely want to push up to 80/99 at least - and maybe higher, since your magicite deck can cover you where a Historia Crystal would falter.

~~
    In basically all cases, I'd recommend against making a bunch of level 50/65 Historia Crystals though. They're neat, but you're almost certainly better off using a non-realm 80/99 than a 50/65 on realm. Going from 80 to 99 is a lot of rat's tails, though - it's basically necessary to have HCs compete with 6* magicite, below that it's kind of up to you at that point what you want to do.

- How long can I expect all this to take?

Just doing the easy difficulty torments:
    Doing two weekly missions, and the monthly mission, will let you get a Historia crystal to 65/80. One weekly and the monthly actually gets you pretty close, haha, but not /quite/ there. (You might make it with the 'cleared torments' rat's tails).

It will take about four weekly missions and the monthly mission to get a Historia Crystal to the 80/99 range. So in about a month, you can have similar power to a well honed 5* magicite deck. Not bad!

It'll take awhile to hit level 99 with this, though - a touch under 13 weeks. But a level 80/99 HC will serve you very well and is a good end goal, and the 65/80 is a good stopgap.

~~

If you're doing the harder difficulty torments as well:
    Doing one weekly mission and the monthly mission /just about/ puts you at level 80/99. Getting rat's tails from clearing various torments will probably get you to the 80 marker at least.

From there, it will be a little over five more weeks before your Historia Crystal hits 99.

If you can do the Dreambreaker mission once (Remember, you can 10% and petrify someone for the FF9 one! You won't be able to for others nor in the future), that cuts it down to five weeks with room to spare (Actually 4.6 weeks, in case you can get enough rat's tails from beating actual torments and stuff).

~~
    In all cases, definitely prioritize clearing the monthly, it gives you a lot more rat tail XP than the weekly.

- Dreambreaker Order

At least, this is the order they went in in Japan:
    FF9 , FFT, FFV, FFXIII, FFIII, FFVII, FFXIV, FFVIII, FFII, FFIV, FFXI, FF0, FFX

And the next two announced are FFXV and FFVI.

- Final Reminders

I have said this several times, but! Historia Crystals are very strong options even out of realm content, and even if you don't have people from the same realm as the HC in your party. They're of course /better/ in realm content, but keep them in mind when you're doing magicite and odins and weekly events and the like - if you're struggling to break a savage mode, or need some extra imperils, Historia Crystals may come to your rescue.

I actually just used a FF9 Historia Crystal against Wind Weak Odin, to great effect. I was struggling with a lot of aspects of the fight (Syldra didn't even break rage at /all/ against rage 3, ugh), but swapping to my Historia Crystal helped push me over the finish line, which I am very happy about. :D So if you're struggling with a fight, maybe a Historia Crystal can help you.

And uh... I spent a few days doing a lot of math. So while I /think/ my numbers are correct, if they aren't and someone can point me at more accurate numbers then I will jump at that and make corrections, haha. In honesty, from swapping from my 5* magicite deck to my Historia Crystal, it feels like my numbers are correct in practice, but hey.

~~~~~~~~~

Credits:
    A lot of the information came from reddit, particularly this page:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/f3q6vm/everything_you_need_to_know_about_historia/

Dreambreaker order came from here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/h0fxz4/dreambreaker_order/

And... uh, while I can't think of anything specific I got from Gamefaqs, the FF:RK gamefaqs board tends to give me information for guides like this, so for completion:
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/114492-final-fantasy-record-keeper

~~~~~~~~~
    Comments and questions are appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Lounas, cactusJed, Wolf and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kantolin

Keeping this post stockpiled in case I need to do any revisions, or just in general in case I wish I had kept another post open. :p And to make sure the PDF version uploaded.

To repeat the TL;DR in case...

TL;DR: Pick your strongest realm and spend your rats tails getting that Historia Crystal up to as high as you can, hopefully at least 80/99. If one of the soon-upcoming Dreambreakers is one you're targeting, that increases that realm's HC's value to get up in levels. Historia Crystals are still very strong outside of their realm.

~Updates~
    June 15th: Added a section about the FF9 Dreambreaker, and the 10% petrify mission clear option.

Comments and questions are appreciated! :cecil:

Lounas, cactusJed and Roche like this.
  5. OhCanada

OhCanada Impostor Mod Staff Member Moderator "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    QPHf
    Great guide Kant! You may want to add the petrify cheese for mastery of the dreambreakers since the reward is substantial and time locked. It seems like it would fit well in your "- How do I get at those Rat's Tails to level it up?" section!

Lounas and Kantolin like this.
  6. Wolf

Wolf Advocate/Patron

Full Legend Characters:
    any character with AASB
    OUTSTANDING WORK:)

Kantolin likes this.
  7. Kantolin

Thanks for the responses! :D

I was hesitant to do that since I wasn't really planning on having this be a living guide, haha, but you make a good point. ^_^ It has been added to a new section just under the Rat's Tails, along with some tips! Thanks for the suggestion!

cactusJed likes this.
  8. cactusJed

cactusJed Absolute Warlord I am a Cactus

Friend Code:
    XRef
    Full Legend Characters:
    *chants*
    Living guide!
    Living guide!
    Living guide!

9. Starkiller

Starkiller Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    I wouldn't try to go beyond level 80 for now, it's cost prohibitive and you will probably want these for every dreambreaker. If your magicite decks are all set or you have tons of the level up material, you can use historia crystals in your daily teams. I've been too busy to bother w/ the Dreambreaker, but I have all the tools.