Ability to focus on early

Discussion in 'Abilities & Soul Breakers' started by Slaynen, May 18, 2015.

1. Slaynen

Slaynen New Member

Hi !

New to the game, i m now lvl 20

I still haven't use any of my orb to save money
    Was wondering which abilities worth it ? Should i sell my orb is no 1 star worth it ? What should i aim for ?

Thanks for your help

Seigyoku likes this.
  2. Seigyoku

Seigyoku Dedicated Warrior

Hello, and welcome to the forums! :)

All abilities are useful, especially because most characters have specific limitations on what rarities they can use for their ability classifications, and because lower rarity abilities don't need so many orbs to hone (rank up to have more uses) compared to the higher rarities. Before I suggest anything to make, try to hold onto your Summon Orbs as long as possible, or at least until you're sure you want a particular summon. We'll be getting Summon spells for free during later events, and orb-spending is a harsh investment since they only come from Events as well.

Beyond having one each of Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Water and 1-2 of Cure... Boost and Blade Bash will be useful for a long time, the first one because it increases melee damage output by ~50% for a party member, and the second one because it will be your only source of Paralyze for a while. Other than that, experiment with the other 1* abilities if you'd like, and make statuses as needed by target scores (more on that later).

For 2* abilities, try and upgrade what you like and find effective - there are many black and white magic spells that have direct upgrades from their 1* varieties, including Fire->Fira, Blizzard->Blizzara, Thunder->Thundara, Water->Watera, and Cure->Cura, as well as a new Bio. It'll be good to at least update your cures and your elemental Black Magic when you get the resources together. You'll also get access to the Combat Ability Double Cut in the Physical tab, which is the standard Ability most melee characters get to use until you can reliably make 3* abilities.

There are many boss fights that require a target condition - sometimes they want you to exploit an elemental weakness, sometimes they want you to inflict a status, and so forth. You should only make status-inflicting abilities when necessary, but feel free to experiment with statuses and attacks if you'd like. (One thing: Don't make Hold. It is bugged at 1%.) When you get higher leveled (~35-50), that would be around the time when you've gotten a better grasp on how you want to further advance your abilities and start collecting 3* orbs. Just don't pick up Thundaga unless you want a duplicate ability to work with on a second mage, because we'll likely be getting it for free during an event.

Two more notes:
    • Cloud and Cyan are normally-obtainable characters that possess Samurai Ability classification, and so are able to use Retaliate, found in the Other tab. With it active, they can evade almost any physical attack and counter with a melee attack for free. You can use this opportunity to have your mages thwack them as well, allowing them to attack the enemy through the Retaliator. It's good to work with when your offensive mages run out of magic, which is easy to do this early without honing, and something your healer can abuse.
    • Cloud is capable of using the Spellblade Ability classification, and so can use the Elemental Strikes listed in the Other tab. If you like using him, this is a handy way for him to deal extra damage based on a boss' weakness! Just remember to mind your mages as well - Elemental Black Magic of the same rarity is often far more powerful when used by a proficient mage, and require more orbs.

Hum, that should be enough of a roadmap for you to work with for now... Hope that helps you well for now!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. Elskidor

Elskidor Foundation Member

Well I wouldn't sell any of them really, but I would focus on each of the elemental spells, strikes and grab the break abilities. Various stages will have score conditions that give you an idea of what to also make, but as far as honing I'd prioritize elements, cures and breaks first until you feel set.

Seigyoku likes this.
  4. AlmostGenius

AlmostGenius New Member

Damn seigyoku!....laid down extremely useful tips! I believe celes also uses spellblade....and tyro can just about use them all but is pretty neutral in stats so never an elite melee or mage, but can be used as either

Evil Crusader likes this.
  5. Slaynen

Slaynen New Member

That's an incredible answer
    Thx guess i ll be conservative and try to unluck double cut et retiliate as soon as i can !

thX :D

6. Evil Crusader

Evil Crusader The Very (N)Ice Cream Mod

Medals:
    Never sell Orbs, at most only the Minor ones. If you're really in a pinch, simply farm a bit the first FF7 map or the Daily Dungeon for the Gils you need.