BSB Fest ("Soul Breakout") Banners Reviewed

Discussion in 'General' started by SmoothJK, Jun 23, 2016.

1. SmoothJK

SmoothJK Foundation Member

Medals:
    *Hey guys, it seems this thread is still active and getting views. If you are interested in seeing the Big Bridge / BSB banners announcement and details, go check out lilyWhite's superior thread here: http://recordkeeperforum.com/threads/june-mvp-letter-—-big-bridge-soul-breakout-starts-june-25th.4713/#post-77644.

Instead, I'll turn this into a review thread and my personal opinions. Better than nothing, right? I'll start with Phase 1 and work my way down.

Phase 1
    Objective Score = 9.0/10
    Personal Score = 8.0/10
    TL;DR: Great relics all around, but some of us already have a lot of the best ones. Plus, the highlight of the banner--Cecil's BSB--makes a return shortly in an excellent banner (Adult Rydia 1).

• Excalibur (PCecil BSB): To me, the most desirable relic in all phases. It turns an already good character into a potential powerhouse, particularly against bosses with Holy weaknesses. But even in other fights, the boost to Holy damage is notable, and the self-Cura burst command also makes him pretty much an unkillable tank. The best existing relic for the protagonist of my favorite FF.
    • Excalibur (Celes SSB): Everyone needs to have a good Runic/Grand Cross relic in their back pocket, and who better to wield such power than the OG, Celes? Add to that an SSB-level attack, and this is a relic with tons of utility. (I already have it though.)
    • Peacemaker (Lightning SSB): This is a relic a lot of people chased, and even with Lightning's BSB, it's still worth getting (but not chasing too hard). On top of the usual stat upgrade for mastery, the lightning element can really come in handy in the right situation and can be the superior choice to her BSB. I do want.
    • Chocobo Brush (Relm SSB): One of the top 2 medicas in Global right now. Curaga level with heavy regen, so it is always useful in any situation. One could argue that Magic Blink is a better secondary effect, but you can't go wrong with this one.
    • Thunder Gloves (Beatrix SB): A useful relic on a useful character. Basically, it's an Edgar's Drill clone. Single target damage with a 50% party-wide DEF boost. Handy to have for sure.
    • Kefka's Cloak (Kefka SB): While mage meta isn't the optimal way to go these days, it's still fun and relics like this one can really help a lot. Hastega and a 20% MAG boost is nothing to sneeze at.
    • Heroic Scarf (Mog SB): A bit outdated and no longer as prized now that every tough boss is resistant to breaks, this is still a useful relic. It reduces enemies' ATK and MAG by 50%, is AOE, but does no damage. It stacks with other breaks and breakdowns, along with dances that Mog can use. Still useful, but there are often superior options for healers in general.
    • Wyrmfang (Vanille SB): A puzzling combination of Cura-level medica and Protectga, it's still better than nothing, especially for full synergy teams and Cid Missions. But I'd rather put up Protectga in round 1 on my healer (or Paladin) and wait to use a medica later in the fight after getting weakened all around or hit with AOE.
    • Flame Shield (Gordon SB): Similar to Setzer's Cards (a very underrated relic, by the way), this one does AOE damage while reducing all enemies' ATK and MAG by 40%. It's a little less than Mog's scarf, but at least it does damage, which is a good trade. I'd love to have this for Gordon, who is a decent support character.
    Phase 2
    Objective Score = 8.0/10
    Personal Score = 7.0/10
    TL;DR: None of these relics are huge game changers or must-haves, but two BSBs and all-around usefulness bumps up the score to respectable levels.

• Razzmatazz (Tidus BSB): The good news is, not a ton of enemies are immune to water, and if they happen to be weak to it, this relic is going to be a powerhouse. The bad news is, some ARE immune, and even apart from that, this BSB doesn't offer much utility. It would be nice to have, but certainly not a must. *Note: The burst commands are Water/NE, so you don't have to worry about resistant/immune enemies.
    • Twin Lance (Squall BSB): Another useful albeit forgettable BSB. The initial activation is a nice, SSB-level AOE attack, and the burst commands can be great if you run up against Fire-weak or Wind-weak enemies (again, they are also NE meaning it will never be resisted/absorbed). This is overshadowed by the superior Ragnarok, which is Bartz's BSB coming up.
    • Full Metal Rod (Yuna SSB): The forgotten Yuna relic, this AOE summon attack (+RES) is nice if you have nothing else for her. Some damage and some mitigation are hard to complain about, but it's nothing spectacular. I'd rather use Hymn of the Faith for healing or her BSB if I'm using her as an offensive summoner and stacking MAG.
    • Holy Rod (Penelo SSB): Probably the most situational (arguably worst) Curaga-level medica, but it's still better than its Cura-level counterparts for the most part. The triple Holy attack is kind of weak, and while it was useful in the WM Nightmare boss, you'll usually be wishing it had a regen or blink effect.
    • Kotetsu (Edge SB): Pretty ho-hum, it's just a regular lightning-based damage soulbreak. It inflicts a couple of statuses as well, but as you know most tough bosses are immune to pretty much everything anyway.
    • Drill (Edgar SB): Single-target attacks followed up with a 50% DEF boost to the party, this is a useful relic on a decent character.
    • Dragon Claws (Sabin SB): In typical Monk fashion, this SB follows up the initial attack with an obsolete 30% ATK boost. If you aren't using Shout and are pairing this with a hastega, it can still be useful, but Shout is obviously the superior choice for your boostga needs. If you want to use Sabin, gun for his great SSB.
    • Holy Wand (Arc SB): Just a Cura-level medica, but this one comes with a solid RES boost. Definitely useful, and Arc is really underrated.
    • Vega 42s (Sazh SB): Hastega and Shellga, this relic is overshadowed a bit (directly by Quistis' SSB, for example), but still useful especially for full synergy teams and Cid Mission.
    Phase 3
    Objective Score = 8.5/10
    Personal Score = 7.5/10
    TL;DR: Tyro's BSB is the highlight of the banner, but it also can be a bit awkward to work around the native wall vs. BSB issue. Some of the relics are great, some are not-so-great, so this banner is a bit up and down.

• Keeper's Tome (Tyro BSB): I like that you can throw up Protectga, Shellga, AND Magic Blink in one action. I don't like that I won't be able to put up native Wall. This one is a bit of a head-scratcher, and the burst commands seem underwhelming to me (-20% to ATK/MAG or -20% to DEF/RES). I'd rather use a solid 4* or 5* ability. Still, this is pretty much the only time you can grab this relic, and if you can RW this BSB OR Wall, it's an amazing mitigation combination.
    • Crescent Wish (Selphie SSB): One of the best medicas. Curaga-level with Magic Blink. Unless you're facing a really physical boss (where Relm's SSB would be superior), this is the way to go.
    • Magic Comb (Red XIII SSB): Pretty fun to use, but 10 (semi-weak) attacks plus Shellga isn't exactly game-breaking. I do enjoy using it as an awesome stat stick though since it effectively turns Red XIII into a very capable hybrid Support and Mage character. Still, if I'm doing full synergy teams, I'd rather use Lunatic High, which is one of the few hastegas in this realm.
    • Ichigeki (Shadow SSB): Still the highest DPS due to its solid damage and instant cast, this relic shines even more if you are able to use Shadow properly (e.g., Quick Hit or well-honed Dismissal). The self-physical blink is a nice added bonus. Speed runners love this relic, but you may find yourself needing better versatility and utility than Shadow from your party members.
    • Lullaby Rod (Yuna SB): Hymn of the Fayth is getting kind of outdated as it is only a Cura-level medica, but coupled with heavy regen, this is still a workhorse. It is arguably Yuna's best relic to date, which is kind of sad if you think about it.
    • Wutai Headband (Yuffie SB): One of my favorite medicas, this makes Yuffie super useful and balanced as a character. Instant cast PLUS a set 40% heal rate means this will never really be obsolete since the heal amount grows with the increasing HP pool. Another great thing about this relic is that it allows your actual healer to use non-medica soul breaks, such as Wall (on both Y'shtola and Tyro, who is commonly used as a healer).
    • Flexible Arm (Rikku SB): Solid but not great. This hits a single enemy, reduces its attack by 50% (nice), and self-boosts Rikku's attack by 50%. While this is usually moot because of Shout, at least it won't overwrite the boostga effect with an inferior boost.
    • Keepsake Ribbon (Aerith SB): Still alive and kicking, this 50% boostga can make its way into some party compositions if you have hastega covered elsewhere. However, this means that your healer has neither a medica nor Wall, which is probably not ideal. Great for full synergy teams, though.
    • Seifer's Coat (Seifer SB): Pretty unique, this one does ranged AOE attacks then raises your party's RES. This can make Seifer usable even if it's not going to single-handedly win you the fight.
    [Continued below]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. Hideo

Hideo Active Member

Medals:
    FINALLY, official word about this!!!

It seriously feels like forever that I (we) have been waiting for this announcement, thanks for the heads up! =D

That first banner looks pretty good as I have none of those, but I definitely want to know what the other banners look like before deciding where to drop every last one of my blues. Should have enough for 4 11x rolls!

guaje and SmoothJK like this.
  3. OhCanada

OhCanada Impostor Mod Staff Member Moderator "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    QPHf
    Thanks for posting, but just so you know @lilyWhite made almost an identical post just a little earlier today ;)

guaje and SmoothJK like this.
  4. SmoothJK

Medals:
    Lol oops, I checked my email too late and when I finally saw it, got so excited and posted. NOW I see her post but somehow missed it earlier. Admins, please feel free to delete!

guaje likes this.
  5. Zidane

Zidane Official RKF Mascot

Friend Code:
    2LgF
    Full Legend Characters:
  6. Eeth

Eeth Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Banners are out. http://bantha.org/~dscotton/ffrk.html

Personally targeting banner 1 and 4 (2x11 each)
    then banner 2 (1x11)
    skip banner 3
    banner 5... already have SG/HotE/Tailwind... Too risky imho.

7. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

It was kinda stupid of me thinking that they would put Lightning's new SSB since it was a week ago.
    Anyway... this first phase is a bit far away from what I like, so I'll keep on saving until next ones.

8. Aueh

Aueh Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    3-4 relics i really want on banner 1... all in.

9. Enki

Enki Active Member

Glad to see they improved the overall banners. Banner 4 is a tad weaker than the JP one, but the rest is quite glorious. :)

10. SmoothJK

Medals:
    [Continued]

Phase 4

Objective Score = 9.0/10
    Personal Score = 9.5/10
    TL;DR: Lots of juicy stuff here, but if you already have Platinum Sword, the appeal is lower. If you need better FFV synergy, the appeal goes way up, and Bartz' BSB is a winner.

• Ragnarok (Bartz BSB): Basically, this is the improved version of Squall's BSB, unless you needed the AOE damage. Instead of a Fire command and Wind command, you get Fire/Earth and Wind/Water. This helps you target enemy weaknesses better.
    • Platinum Sword (Ramza SSB): Wow, I bet you guys have never heard about this one, eh? "Shout" is a good SSB that...um yea, get this if you haven't already.
    • Genji Blade (Gilgamesh SSB): This would be just a so-so relic overall if it weren't on such a great character. AOE attacks + heavy regen to your party is pretty nice, and Gilgamesh is a beast.
    • Defender (Agrias SSB): Overshadowed by her own regular SB, this one can be situationally better if you're facing multiple enemies and/or need the status effects.
    • Sorceress's Crown (Edea SSB): Basically a Kefka's Cloak clone, hastega and a modest MAG boost can come in handy if you're fond of the mages.
    • Platinum Shield (Basch SB): A better Hand of the Emperor, basically, because while the effect is the same (+30% ATK/DEF) and stacks with Shout, the shield itself gives a useful Holy damage boost. This is a go-to armor for Saint Cross characters if you're trying to inflict maximum damage quickly.
    • Yoichi's Bow (Faris SB): Another Setzer's Cards clone, this one does AOE damage and reduces enemies' ATK/MAG by 40%. Very handy, and Faris is a good support character. One caveat is that the very excellent BSB is coming in the next FFV event, but still, this is a nice consolation prize.
    • Sage's Staff (Lenna SB): A Hymn of the Fayth clone, this is useful if you don't have a FFV medica. Like Faris, though, a better one is coming, so this is a consolation prize / "in case I fail to get her SSB" relic.
    • Kogarasumaru (Vaan SB): Probably the dud of the banner, it's just a typical damage SB with the rarely useful Blind/Silence added effects. I still wouldn't mind it too much though since I need something for Vaan.
    Phase 5
    Objective Score = 9.5/10
    Personal Score = 8.0/10
    TL;DR: If you still need Wall, this is the most important banner for you. Two useful (but not amazing) BSBs are for the taking plus other solid relics all around. If you already have Wall, the appeal goes down.

• 1st Fusion Sword (Cloud BSB): The original BSB, it's still useful for the raw damage it puts out. It's never the best choice, but it's never a bad choice either.
    • Stardust Rod (Terra BSB): A fairly useful BSB, this one features burst commands of the Fire/NE and Water/NE elements, so you don't have to worry about resistant/immune enemies.
    • Fairy Flute (Eiko SSB): I think DeNA thought that Reraise was going to be more of a thing than it really is. For an SSB, it's disappointing that it's only a Cura-level medica, and Reraise doesn't really make up for the difference. Still better than some of your SB medicas, though (or is it?).
    • Aldebaran (Balthier SSB): Nice damage and oil effect that reduces Fire resistance, this one ranges from not bad to situationally useful.
    • Sentinel's Grimoire (Tyro SB): If you don't have a native Wall, here's another chance. In my opinion, this is still the best relic in the game since it's probably more important to have a Wall natively than Shout. If your two uses of RW Wall run out, it's pretty much game over. Having a third use natively can be very useful if you don't have really good DPS in U+ fights.
    • Kaiser Shield (Agrias SB): Solid damage on a great character plus good mitigation (-50% ATK/MAG on a single target) makes this shield very desirable. Plus, it adds to your lightning damage for some extra potential.
    • Grand Armor (Ramza SB): I'm kind of a fan of non-WM medica users, and while this one is a bit awkward like Vanille's in that it adds a Protectga, the 40% flat rate heal means it won't go obsolete and nowadays will heal better than AOE Cura in general. It's not as good as Yuffie's because it's not instant, but it's still good and makes Ramza usable in your main party even if you weren't lucky enough to get Platinum Sword.
    • Desch's Sword (Desch SB): Not a great relic and I'm not a big fan of En- soulbreaks in general. The damage on this one is pretty underwhelming. Still, it boosts subsequent Thundagas/jas and makes Desch versatile as a makeshift spellblader especially in the FF3 realm.
    • Golden Armor (Leon SB): Hand of the Emperor is always solid to have (+30% ATK/DEF) and it stacks with Shout. Basch's Shield would be better to have on your Knights, but the soul break itself is just as good on this oldie-but-a-goodie.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    6X-X9, guaje, Killeak and 1 other person like this.
  11. guaje

guaje #mafiaboss Shadow Moderator

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    eWqF
    I like that you've turned this into a Ratings thread. Good work! I like your analysis, and personally I think your comments about banner 4 perfectly sum up why I'm going for it: Looks great! But I have shout... but I need FF5 Synergy! Let's do it!

SmoothJK and AiZeN like this.
  12. AiZeN

AiZeN January VIP 2017

Friend Code:
    acwU
    Great review Smooth! Helpful indeed

Keep it up for the future? ;)

SmoothJK likes this.
  13. OhCanada

OhCanada Impostor Mod Staff Member Moderator "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    QPHf
    Ooh this is tough. I was looking at banner 4, but I have Gilga and Agrias' SSBs already which is dangerous. PS would be a really great pull for me since I have Ramza's other two SBs and he's a mainstay in my party. I really want Twin Lance as well to make Fragment Ifrit easier but the rest of the banner is a little underwhelming....although it does have the best chance of getting a useful BSB. More or less same story with Selfie's SSB on banner 3, I need a good medica which are ample on banner 3.

Honestly I'm thinking about putting one x11 draw on each of the first four banners because I'm completely divided. The only thing that doesn't interest me is banner 5.

SmoothJK likes this.
  14. pookkachan

pookkachan Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    G8vP
    I believe the drop rate of the BSB/ SSB is ~1% and the regular SB item is ~2%. That make the total drop rate at 14%. So that you can calculate your most wanted relics drop rate on a particular banner. I may be an odd ball but I am more excited on the XIV event than the BSB festival. Finally I can bring Y'shtola to 80.

SmoothJK likes this.
  15. Suzaku

Suzaku Foundation Member

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    9SgD
    To be honest, I'm just interested in 2 banners, 1 and 4. But for the sake of fun (that's why we are all here, after all), I'll break down my choices.

Phase 1 - OMFG this banner is awesome!

Excalibur IV - note that as I've said before, IV is a realm I tend to lack synergy in, plus I don't have any other Pecil swords, this is a must.
    Excalibur VI - as a Runic Blade owner, I know how useful this is. The plus is that Celes becomes more powerful with this one, plus it deals damage, plus it absorbs white magic as well, useful against bosses that buff themselves or try to debuff you in some way.
    *and if I get both Excaliburs, I'd have the trifecta, since I own the V version*
    Peacemaker - I wouldn't mind pulling this gun, since it gives Lightning more usefulness and I always welcome XIII synergy.
    Chocobo Brush - definitely must get. I have HotF and while I love it, I know the upgrade will be better. Relm has WM 5 and SUM 4, which is exactly how I use Yuna.
    The SB relics are also nice, though I have Heroic Scarf already.

Overall a definite must pull banner for me, since the only thing I own is Mog's scarf.

Phase 2 - meh. While 2 BSBs are cool, both are situational, and Squall's is really terrible DPS wise. I have 2 Yuna rods, and while her SSB is nice, it's not enough to make me pull here. I already got Sabin's claws, and Boon is an outdated Hastega (plus I don't like Sazh). Pass.

Phase 3 - another meh banner. Tyro's BSB is great for those that do not have SG.... but I have it. I see no reason at all (not even magic blink) to cast BSB over SG. And if I build another bar, it's to apply SG again. It's the only reason I bring that runt to my battles, that and to fulfill some weird conditions. Plus if I want (and if I get Shout) I can choose it as RW instead.
    The Ichigeki is the definite highlight of the banner for me, as well as Crescent Wish, but they are among other uninteresting items, like Red's SSB. I already have Lullaby Rod, but I guess Yuffie's and Aerith's SBs might be worth the pull. But I'd rather save my mythril for...

Phase 4 - the other "OMFG must pull" banner here.

Ragnarok - FFRK has been generous with me in V synergy, especially regarding "Butz". I have the Air Knife, and the awesome Excalibur (missed Brave Blade). Bartz is a very versatile character, and his BSSB further compliments that versatility, by having 4 elements to hit enemies with.
    Plat Sword - MUST GET ITEM. I hoped for it in the FFT banner, didn't get it, got both waifu's relics so it's cool. Still the chance is high here, and it's totally worth it.
    Genji Blade - while not the best of Gilgi's swords, it's still pretty useful. We all love Gilgamesh.
    Defender- would be a dupe. Wouldn't mind an extra one for additional T synergy in the upcoming event (still ways off). The soulbreak is nice when facing mob bosses, and has a good chance of casting Silence and Paralyze.
    Sorceress's Crown - don't care much for it, but would be useful for fragment dungeon. I don't really use mages.
    The SB relics are pretty sweet too. Basch's shield is very useful for XII events, as is Vaan's katana, but to a lesser extent. Faris's bow has a nice breakdown and Lenna's medica would be useful.

Overall a great banner to pull on. V synergy is fun, V is a fun realm in this game, definitely my favorite.

Last but not least!

Phase 5 - another good banner, but it depends on what you have/don't have. This banner shines due to some of the SSBs and SBs rather than the BSBs which are lackluster.

Fusion Sword - I hate myself for wasting 150 blues when this sword came out, and didn't get it. It's not what I aim for here, but if I get it, it's cool.
    Stardust Rod - Terra is a very useful character, but I have her SSB and very rarely use her. Pass.
    Fairy Flute - I have better medica's, plus reraise is kinda useless considering how we all aim not to die in battles. Would be ok for realm-character challenges.
    Aldebaran - I already own Ras Algethi, and I'm not fond of Balthier in FFRK (in XII it's a different story). Not a high prize, tbh.
    SG - I was lucky enough to get 2 of them in December's celebration banners. I really suggest aiming for this one rather than the BSB, and I think it will have a higher chance of popping due to it being classified as a SB, not a SSB or BSB.
    Grand Armor - useful medica on a very useful character. Sign me up!
    Desch's Sword - meh.
    Golden Armor - nice relic with a nice effect, though I prefer Basch's because it adds holy damage, Basch is a better knight than Leon, and overall XII synergy is much more useful than II, event-wise.
    Kaiser Shield - as a proud owner of this beautiful relic, I can say, GET IT NOW! DONT' MISS THE CHANCE! If you own it, you know why. If not, allow me to explain: it is one of the game's most broken relics. The SB breaks any boss (even U+) if paired with FB/PB/MB, and Agrias is a really strong character. Lifesiphon makes this spammable, which is useful when fights drag on. Agrias becomes unstoppable with this SB. Plus, she can use swords, which means you can bring her to almost any realm and have synergy on her. I can't stress the usefulness of this relic. You will not be dissapointed. Even w/o synergy, the shield gives 127 def and 17 atk, which is really nice.

Anyhoo, I have close to 250 mythril, so my plan is to do 1-2 draws on banner 1, 1-2 draws on banner 4, and if anything's left, dump it on 5. I may spend a bit on these banners, if my finances allow it.

16. Ranakel

Ranakel Dedicated Warrior

Medals:
    At the end of the day, I think I'm gonna do a few anecdotal single pulls on the first and third, skip the second, do an 11x on the 4th and 5th. And then empty whatever mithril I'll have gotten on top of that in the FFXIV event's first banner if I didn't get SG.

17. Jenni

Jenni Well Known Member

Friend Code:
    wmVB
    That you call Genji blade so-so makes cry a little :p never underestimate regen and the damage it does is very good. That SSB is absolutely amazing :)

Suzaku likes this.
  18. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Well... I managed to gather 57 mythrils, so basically I don't have a large margin to miss.
    It's gonna be all out attack on P-Cecil SSB and the rest, will be a 3x draw luckily for Genji Sword, Ragnarok or Twin Lance (even though I tried to get Twin Lance 5 times during its event and never came out... you get to know when an item is not in your drop list). The rest, unfortunately (and as tempting as they sound) will be skipped.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  19. Wesker

Wesker F2P 4ever m0d Staff Member Moderator JP Moderator

Friend Code:
    Qnoi (Dark Chain)
    9/10 review. No "GIRUGAMESHU" joke.

20. Mako

Mako Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Going for phase 1/4/5. Cecil's BSB is too good to pass up along with Runic which I don't have yet. Phase 4 is just overall pretty badass and phase 5 has wall, 'nuff said.