Considering Quitting Soon

Discussion in 'Rants & Accomplishments' started by Vetheran, May 9, 2018.

1. Vetheran

Vetheran Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    I'm sure some of you have noticed (aw who am I kidding, I'm not that important...), but I have been posting way less lately. This is mainly due to the fact that I don't consider myself whining about bad luck or trashing parts of the game on a fan forum to be constructive of any way, and I don't like to sew seeds of discontent.

But this time, I do elect to whine a bit. Please only read on by your own choice.

I preface this that I am almost a day 1 player, and had some very good times with this game. That being out of the way, what changed that turned me off almost completely by now?

I think it may have started with 3* magicites, but it wasn't something I really realised at the time. 2 factors being their difficulty level (completely new mechanics and tactics) and the very nature that they were meant to be farmed. I absolutely hate the fact that something that needs to be farmed needs this much effort and concentration. This is the kind of thing that burns people out. I was however able to clear all of them (but really sub-30), so it wasn't really apparent. Let's just say... I put up with it, but definitely didn't like it.

We got 4* magicites. I can't beat them. I have good relics, I have the kit (maybe not element boosting armor, never consciously chased them), and yet I cannot beat them. My damage output is meek, even with stacking buffs, and I will just die eventually. Throw in some nice status ailments are a good middle finger from RNG. I honestly cannot bother. I am certain, that with repeated banging against a wall I could get them done, but I just cannot be bothered.

And this is only going to get worse with the 5*s and the new torments.

Another big reason is the F2P treatment. We have consistently been getting way less mythril every month (except for April, where we got 10 more..) since December compared to last year. And my pulls were just... horrible lately. You want to know how it feels to save up for 3 months for a festival, and get almost zero stuff you actually wanted? 375 mythril later... I know... And therein lies another problem? Why do I even bother getting new relics? I can faceroll all event content anyway, and I have given up on magicites.

I was happy that we finally got daily missions and we currently have a 50 mythril login bonus to make up for half of the missed mythril. In reality? I am actually annoyed that I have to run 3 dungeons per day to get that mythril.

So why am I not quitting right now? Couple of things do interest me in the future. Library of Guidance, Story Mode for example. I will probably hang in there until we get those (should be soon now), and the next fest and see if my interest in the game is rekindled, and will be collecting the mythril until then just in case. If not, it will be time to put the game down for me.

Cloudedstrife likes this.
  2. Starkiller

Starkiller Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    There is a dedicated reddit thread to helping solve the magicite conundrum if you need help there. I rely on it quite a bit.

3. Vetheran

Medals:
    Thanks :) I do visit the subreddit quite a bit, but my gripe of "something that is meant to be farmed should not require this much effort" would not be solved. I just hate them, they are tedious at best.

On the flip side, I loved the Nightmare dungeons. They were gimmicky, required preparation and good execution... ONCE! :D

4. Starkiller

Starkiller Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Oh totally agree. Magicite are hands down the worst content they've ever produced. If the game was ATB with a pause at your turn, it wouldn't be as stressful. Also if they didn't have sub-30 as a concept, it wouldn't be as stressful, though in some ways sub-30 helps you optimize your teams. I love Crystal Tower-style content and hope they continue to make more like it.

Whiteadder likes this.
  5. derek281

derek281 Active Member

Yea ive been thinking of doing the same...been playing since day 1 just tired of the grind. Dropped 400 blues chasing DVG with no luck, but ive gotten lucky on other pulls so i guess it all comes around. What is the library of guidance? and estimated dates for this and story mode?

6. Wolf

Wolf Ghost Member Supremacy Realm: Tactics

Full Legend Characters:
    Ramza / Yuffie / Orlandeau / Onion Knight / Luneth / Squall / Galuf / Tyro / Mog / Faris / Cloud / Eiko / Y' shtola / Lighting / Rinoa / Garland / Terra
    every member is...so stop kicking my friend.

ab-so-lute-ly

and this be my point:

There are sport franchises that have NEVER gone to their respective championships,
    and yet they show up every year for that chance ,this is not that. You and I are never going to
    be FF champs or even recognized players within it's hall of fame, but what we are is necessary to
    it's impact. We enjoy it for it's personal potential for indulging slack time.

Play it when it suits you, bitch about it when you need to, but quit only when you have to.
    There have been many people along the way in my life, I will have no trouble never thinking of again,
    as do we all, but I only HAVE to forget those that brought the most havoc in the daily life or affairs.
    I can't see a hobby, that can be stopped or started, at MY whim, be important enough to HAVE to quit.

The game brought you to our forum and YOU brought enjoyment to our community. You
    are free to quit the game and never come back, but you can't erase you from our own experience.

good luck out there, warrior
    @Wolf

pookkachan, OhCanada, Luxord and 2 others like this.
  7. AK-Exodus

AK-Exodus Absolute Warlord Inquisitor

Medals:
    FFRK is a low maintenance (for us vets, anyway) mobile game.
    You'll be hard pressed to find one as forgiving and F2P-friendly as this one.

I haven't tried 4* magicite yet because I don't care to. I farm 3* sure, and it's a bit of a chore. But... you get orbs out of it, so... And events are getting a harder difficulty fight starting with the upcoming Type-0 event. Maybe that'll be a nice balance between the current Apoc and Magicite.

Jan and Starkiller like this.
  8. Cloudedstrife

Cloudedstrife Bro Mod(e): Activate! Moderator Multiple Forum Staff

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    VsdP
    You could just back off and go super casual for a while. Maybe try some other games... kinda what I did. I still play, but it feels nice to be free of the pressure of MUST BEAT EVERYTHING AND HAVE ALL DA RELLIX! kind of mentality.

Starkiller likes this.
  9. cactusJed

cactusJed Absolute Warlord I am a Cactus

Friend Code:
    XRef
    Full Legend Characters:
    I am in the same boat.
    But I am laughing at adversity.
    4* magicites are beyond my patience.

However, if I may offer a reasoning voice on the point re: daily mythril.
    If you just clear 3 of the event dungeons each day rather than rush through it as soon as it opens, you will naturally get everything within the event duration and not feel pressured to play. Plus, it gets rid of my biggest gripe in having to wade through easy dungeons if I only do 3 a day, anyway.

10. Roche

Roche "Teach-me-how-to-FFRK" Mod-Sensei Staff Member Moderator Onion Knight Master TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Hear! Hear!
    As a fan of narrative, I'm also keen to see if LoG would finally put the story element back into a game that is supposed to be an RPG. And as an F2P player, I'm also hampered by my lack of coverage across all elemental DPS; in other words, my relic collection so far is strong in some elements, and weak in others. The best Investment I did make so far, was pouring 350myth to chase after OK USBs and LMR, which I did successfully obtain.

Hence, I do hope for the best of luck for both of us in the many more FFRK adventures to come, and that such content doesn't disappoint.

11. Yaridovich

Yaridovich Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Dude, you should consider whether or not you're having fun with the game. If you're not, then it's not worth it to keep playing.

I'm not a f2p player. I'm not going to quit anytime soon, but I also know I'm not going to keep playing this forever either. At some point, I'm going to burn myself out of the game. When the game is no longer fun for me, I'll stop playing.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you on magicites, I don't like that they have to be farmed - more so considering that now we have Inheritance which is something that is needlessly complex and requires MORE farming.
    I do think it's good that end-game players have content that they can keep playing constantly (helps avoid boredom and feeling of repetitiveness), but it'd be better if it was something with less RNG and frustration involved. Farming Ixion for me was a huge chore...

12. Jamie

Jamie Absolute Warlord TOTS Warrior Defier of Fate

I think Magicites are good just the way they are.
    It is the ONLY content in the game that is challenging to me, everything else is too easy and is "the grind".
    Games are supposed to have end game content that is really difficult.
    If everyone was able to easily beat them, then it wouldn't be hard enough.

If you need help with magicites I'm sure myself or others here in the community would be happy to offer you assistance.
    Once you start beating them and leveling them up it truly does get easier and more enjoyable.
    It does require some "grinding" for leveling them up but what else is a week 1 player going to use their stamina on?
    It takes me 5 minutes to consume my stamina on EXP dungeon to level them, then wait 10 hours and do it again.

Honestly, I don't find them tedious at all. Most of the time I wish I had more keystones. They are the only reason I still play this game and I can't wait for the new 5*'s to get here. I also want to point out that my first magicite clears were closer to 60 seconds. I didn't start getting sub 30's until I had the 4* magicites leveled; it truly does make that much of a difference. I enjoy leveling them and seeing my team get stronger, it gives me something to look forward to. Then once you get stronger and stronger you can create your own challenges for fun.

Before quitting, I think you should give 4* magicites and honest attempt to complete them and I bet once you get the satisfaction of victory it would reinvigorate you. Don't be afraid to ask for advise, a lot of us really do enjoy helping!

13. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    Basically all of your post really resonates with me, and it all reflects my feelings, except thinking about quitting.

I've beat all but Ixion, but everything other than Marilis takes a lot of s/l for me and is stressful to farm. I also think it was the worst inclusion in the game, but could have been the best with a minor tweak. They could have made magicite SO much better if everything they offered was just a 1 time reward based on time. So you could get that 6* orb after clearing 30 sec, but only once.

Farming, kind of by definition is supposed to be mundane. I don't mind burning my mythril on dailies all the time. Frankly after a busy day at work or a night out when I get a chance to check my phone and I'm full stamina, I just want to mindlessly drop it because the thought of it being full seems like a waste. I DON'T want to have to spend 7-8 min running a super tricky boss just for him to paralyze my healer or spam an AoE and ruin the run 2-3 times in a row, just to clear 20 of that already full stamina. The game has been going for a very long time for players like you and I. We're past the honeymoon phase, and into the daily life phase with the occasional challenge to spice things up. One of the best days I've had in a long time was when my Marilis got to lvl 80 and I realized I needed one more, and I kept not getting it. I think I burned 5 keystones with very little effort. I've never been so happy to get what I didn't want. It meant I didn't have to run a different one.

I've had a bad streak of luck lately too. Since the realms on parade draws I've just been hitting one wall after another. I don't really feel like any pull since then has made any difference in my power at all. Normally that would be fine, because CMs, but only the best relics can help you with magicite and it feels like every myth is just going down the toilet.

I really didn't mean for that to end up so long, but I wanted you to know I really feel you. It hasn't driven my over yet, but it does feel stressful. Anyways, I hope you can find a play style that keeps you interested in some way. It is nice when you can clear one of the 4*s once, even if you have no intention of farming afterwards.

cactusJed likes this.
  14. pookkachan

pookkachan Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    G8vP
    I totally agree 4* magicite is a nightmare and I need to spend close to a month to level up the magicite to lvl 80+ to start a new one. Currently I complete 4 of those. From my experience, these are the key to easier 4* magicite success. I don’t mean to sub 30 but you can do it in 60. Build around the current chain that you have. Having a chain on the element will help you a lot in DPS. You do not need all the top tier relics but a chain will help you a lot. Once you have a consistent clear on that element, raises that magicite to lvl 80 + to help your dps as well as reducing damage you receive. The first one will be the hardest. And other said. Once it is done you will have a easier time. Regarding farming of it. Don’t worry. Once the keystone was removed to get into magicite, the orbs reward was removed as well. The good new on 5* magicite is they are not significant better than 4* so that you can ignor them totally. This is a game and it was suppose to release you from pressure, not adding you pressure. That is why I never attempt those omega battle that the only reward is Gil. Also the hardest bosses during feast always come back so that you can beat them when you want to. Have fun and don’t stress out.

OhCanada and cactusJed like this.
  15. Jan

Jan :chocobo: Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Friend Code:
    9k2f
    Full Legend Characters:
    I agree with most of what's said. Magicite is annoying, farming it moreso. Play to have fun, try casual if you're worried about burnout.

But I would also point out, that as a F2P game, FFRK is pretty much the LEAST grindy game I've ever tried. It probably takes about 5-10 minutes a day tops to burn through stamina to get the daily.

I feel as if the missing out on relics might be the root of your displeasure, though that certainly bleeds into the rest of the game. I've been there. We all have. There's not much cure for it other than persistence and good luck. Ride a unicorn, find a leprechaun, hang a horseshoe. Whatever it takes.

Regardless of what you do, we hope that you stay, but moreover hope that you're happy.

16. Vetheran

Medals:
    Thanks all for the kind words, and sharing your own stories as well. It is what communities should be about.

Acolyte Archives (LoG) is coming to Global at the end of this month, hopefully bringing story mode with it. For now I decided to trade in MC3 for all characters that I had any soul breaks for, so I have about 25 to level right now, and that's all I have been doing every day (only stopping to complete events for mythril).

I still have about 20 MC3 lodes left tho, and all other characters are at least level80, and all RMs are farmed out.

pookkachan and Yaridovich like this.