Earth Team Help / Concerns

Discussion in 'Party Help' started by Graham, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Graham

Graham Active Member

So I just whaled all over the FF5 banner (5 pulls) because I saw potential in building a solid Earth team, and luckily, I got a lot of what I needed. I managed to pull on Dorgann's USB, BSB, and LMR. I also pulled on Kelger's USB, SSB, and LMR, while pulling on Galuf's USB and new BSB. Since then, I've fully dived Dorgann, unlocking everything in his record sphere and have begun honing the ability that makes him work: Earthbringer.

This team has a lot of damage output; however, I feel it's to centralized and focused on DPS, and less on support. I want to fit in an Earth chain, perhaps through Ingus or later Galuf's; however, I have my concerns. Both have their pros and cons on this team, such as:

Ingus
    • Never used him before, so I'd have to do a lot of work to bring him up to snuff.
    • His chain starts you at +25% earth, max of 100% whereas Galuf's chain will start you at +50% and cap you at 150%.
    • I'd have to remove someone on my team, probably Kelger, to fit in Ingus.
    Galuf
    • His chain isn't released, and thus I'd have to wait until like late July or early August.
    • His chain gives +50% attack, which Onion Knight's USB (which I have) also gives. Ingus's chain gives Last Stand instead of +50% attack. Do I really care about the +50% which OK's USB gives or do I care about Last Stand?
    • I'd have to manage both Galuf's chain and his imperil earth BSB.

I am cool with replacing Kelger with Ingus with the intent of fixing my lack of Earth chain dilemma; however, my main worry with this team composition is that both Dorgan and Kelger fight for the spot of main DPS. They both do exceptionally well at dealing damage; however, I feel there should be a primary DPS, a utility DPS, and then your supports. As an example, on my Wind team I run Zack for his chain, Luneth for main DPS, and Zidane for wind imperils. I'd like to follow suit with that on this team, running either Dorgan or Kelger for main DPS, and then having Galuf focus on Earth imperils, and Ingus on Earth chains.

If I don't get Ingus's earth chain, but get Galuf's, I could have Dorgan on perma imperil Earth duty (I have his BSB) while Galuf focuses on Earth chains and Kelger focuses primarily on DPS.

This is my team composition below.

Dorgann: Primary DPS

Soulbreak
    • Brotherhood of the Dawn: Ten single attacks (0.71 each), DEF +100% to the user for 25 seconds, grants Attach Earth and Sandwind Blade Follow-Up to the user
    Abilities
    • Earthbringer: 3/4/5 single attacks (0.80 each) at 798/2736 DEF.
    • Lifesiphon
    Materias
    • Courage of Conviction: Knight abilities deal 15% more damage.
    • Crystal Champion: 35% chance to dualcast Knight abilities

Kelger: Secondary DPS
    Soulbreak
    • Lupine Attack: Ten single attacks (0.71 each), grants Physical Blink 1, Ninja Rank Boost and Lupine Chase Follow-Up to the user
    Abilities
    • Shifting Sands: Two single attacks (1.00 each), grants Physical Blink 1 and Physical Blink Stacking 2 to the user.
    • Desert Mirage: 3/5/7 single attacks (0.70 each) if the user has Physical Blink 0/1/2.
    Materias
    • Nimble Wearwolf: 25% chance to grant Physical Blink 1 to the user after using a Ninja ability.

Galuf: Utility/DPS

Soulbreak
    • Soul Immortal: Earth Chain (max 150, field +50%), ATK +50% for 25 seconds.
    • Martial Might: ATK and MAG +30%, grants Haste, grants Attach Earth to the user.
    • Renewed Vigor: Eight single attacks (0.83 each), causes Imperil Earth 20% for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Burst Mode to the user.
    Abilities
    • Earth Ironfist: Five single attacks (0.80/0.87/0.94 each) scaling with uses.
    • Lifesiphon
    Materias
    • Priceless Experience: 25% chance to dualcast Monk abilities

Onion Knight: Utility/Buffs
    Soulbreak
    • Forbidden Power: Grants Haste and Critical Chance 50%, ATK +50% for 25 seconds, grants EX: Ninja to the user.
    Abilities
    • Wrath
    • Entrust / Fullbreak / Protectga / Shellga
    Materias
    • None.

Y'shtola: Healing
    Soulbreak
    • Goddess's Mercy: Grants Dual Blink 1 and High Regen, grants Instant Cast 1 to the user.
    • Asylum: Restores HP (85), grants Stoneskin: 30%, grants Haste and Burst Mode to the user.
    • Aetherial Pulse: Grants Protect, Shell, and High Regen to party.
    Abilities
    • Wrath
    • Shellga / Protectga
    Materias
    • None.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Deuce likes this.
  2. Roche

Roche "Teach-me-how-to-FFRK" Mod-Sensei Staff Member Moderator Onion Knight Master TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    So, your team is a physical Earth DPS team, including OK who brings his pUSB and Y'shtola who mainly heals (with Asylum casting during emergencies).

My question would be what are relics (both weapon & armor) you have which are native +earth damage? I believe that being able to equip these relics would also determine which character has better DPS potential. This question also covers whether the said relic is fully combined and max augmented, besides being fully upgraded.

If the first question is answered to be balanced across both candidates compared, say between Kelger & Ingus, then the next question is the nature of the fight itself, together with your team's capacity to dole out multi-hit moves to stack onto the chain. I'm just going to assume that you are taking on 3* Magicite Hydra.
    • Since Last Stand technically buys you that extra turn, another possibility is to swap out Y'shtola for another DPS to contribute to Earth chain. once Ingus' Earth Chain lands, it might be interesting to experiment how much Earth hits Dorgann, Kelger, Galuf & Ingus can drop within the chain time limit. About survivability, frankly I believe all five characters have high max HP, so they can take enough hits until hitting the Last Stand threshold.
    • OK might be a tad slower to kickstart party hastega (hope you get his LMR in near future). If you do, I can already imagine the initial ic choices to be pUSB followed by Dr Mog Tactician's Tome (ATK+MAG +30%). That way OK FLD can even contribute to earth chain using Meltdown and/or Chain Stonega. For standard event clearing, OK could just bring 5* Support to satisfy medal conditions (again, LMR here speeds this up greatly).
    • If you do manage to nab Galuf CSB in future, actually I would then drop OK and source hastega from another source, say, Tyro USB3.
    Back on the caveat on "the nature of the fight": I emphasized this as 4* magicite Ixion is the bane of Physical Setups due to its moveset.

3. Graham

Graham Active Member

Answering your questions:
    1. I have earth weapons and armor (+20% a piece) for Dorgann, Kelger, and Galuf. So +40% for all three of them. None of them are augmented, some are combined.
    Don't understand any of the acronyms you used in your second point about Onion Knight. :/
    No idea what ic is, or pUSB, or FLD. I at least know OK means Onion Knight. >_>;

I'd totally be cool with dropping OK for Galuf's CSB; however, I do want that +50% crit damage buff somehow. I'd also like to somehow eventually slot in party quick cast. There is a new healer coming out that can do it with her USB named Elarra.
    • Magical Album: Restores HP (85), grants Regenga and High Quick Cast 2.
    • Regenga: Heals for 2000 HP every 2.00 seconds.
    While a seriously game changing healer, only in JP currently, she can't really build her own soulbreak via Wrath like Y'shtola or Rosa can. I still imagine although that with Mako Might she can be solid, and then there's the fact that abilities soulbreak gain are being changed from like:
    • 5Generates 70 SB (105 on Weakness).
    • 6Generates 80 SB (120 on Weakness)
    to...
    • 5Generates 80 SB (115 on Weakness).
    • 6Generates 100 SB (130 on Weakness).

So bringing something like Curada will generate 100 SB, you can also bring something like Allegro con Moto which grants Magical Quick Cast 3. Useful for mage teams, but not my Earth team in the slightest. :/
    I haven't done any Magicite dungeons yet.

Roche likes this.
  4. Roche

Roche "Teach-me-how-to-FFRK" Mod-Sensei Staff Member Moderator Onion Knight Master TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    ic / CT0 = Instant Cast / Casting Time Zero
    PUSB / pUSB = physical USB for OK, i.e. Fobidden Power
    FLD = Full Legend Dive

Here's the link to my trusty Lexicon on forums for your reference:
    https://recordkeeperforum.com/threads/list-of-abbreviations-misnomers-on-recordkeeperforum.6365/

5. Roche

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Cmon in and join us for true despair. Not the 3* magicites, I meant 4* magicites and beyond. :Crying Laughing:

6. Roche

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    So what do you think about dropping Y'shtola or the healer slot entirely to speed DPS a fight? Hehe

7. Graham

Graham Active Member

Wouldn't my health just drop and never go back up?

8. Roche

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Not if the boss dies before you. That was why I felt that the last stand effect from Ingus CSB could spell potential.

9. Graham

Graham Active Member

So I did a single pull on banner 3 today and got Ingus's chain, as well as his LMR and a bunch of other stuff.
    https://snag.gy/yGL7QE.jpg

I'm thinking about benching Galuf for Ingus, thoughts? Galuf has his imperil earth BSB2 and USB (which I never use in favor of his imperil earth) while Ingus only has his chain and an LMR. Ingus, although, will start with enEarth because of his LMR, and also be able to do damage with his chain, similar to Galuf damaging with his BSB. That said, I guess it comes down to Last Stand and overtime damage increases with the chain vs the imperil earth.

I do like the idea of a consistent chain that overlaps boss forms vs having to keep applying imperil earth debuffs to bosses that have forms.

Roche likes this.
  10. Roche

Friend Code:
    e7tB
  11. Graham

Graham Active Member