Edge's BSB Opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by Graham, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Graham

Graham Member

What is the general consensus of Edge's burst soulbreak?

Seething Waters: Deal eight physical water and non-elemental attacks to one target, temporarily infuse the user with the power of water, and grant Haste and Burst Mode to the user.
    • Water Barrage: Deal four physical water and non-elemental attacks to one target. Reduced delay before hitting.
    • Raging Seas: Deal two physical water and non-elemental attacks to all targets. Reduced delay before hitting.
    In comparison to Luneth's BSB which deals 8xST attacks and infuses with an enElement, I'm not entirely sure. Luneth's BSB command #2 deals 2x attacks to all opponents, much like Raging Seas does; however, instead of reducing's the delay of hitting, it buffs Luneth's overall damage. Furthermore, it supposedly stacks with the meta "Shout". The softcap for damage is currently 805, so, after a single Shout and having a balanced base attack stat of 400, you'll be placed at 600 attack. Luneth's BSB ability #2 will allow him to then reach the softcap, further maximizing his damage.

Edge's BSB falls short on allowing him to capitalize on damage like Luneth's BSB does. Edge would either have to reach 550 attack (My Bartz has 542 attack after fully diving him, mastering three of his relics, and fully augmenting his OSB to +30), or bring an ability which aids him in maximizing his damage potential. There is such an ability in his ability pool that not only does this, but debuffs the enemy's attack! "Steal Power", which stacks with Full Break and Multibreak, lowers the attack of the target, and increases the attack of the user.

With all this said, Edge has one major flaw in his kit. He cannot use Lifesiphon, nor Wrath to build soulbreak. Your alternative to those is "Quickhit" which allows him to hit a target instantly, which means he'll instantly build a bit of soulbreak. It'll take roughly 5 turns to fully build a soulbreak for Edge if he uses Quickhit, this is taking into account Battleforged or Ace Striker as his RM. Quickhit, being that it's an ability, will build 65 soulbreak charge per turn; however, with either of those two record materias, it'll be closer to 97. In contract, Lifesiphon builds 150 soulbreak per turn, and 225 with Battleforged and Ace Striker.

Under haste, you could theoretically get two Quickhit's off before a single Lifesphon because of Quickhit's mechancics of allowing it to hit instantly. Additionally, Quickhit's damage multiplier is 2.4x while Lifesiphon's is 1.8x. What this means is, you'll deal significantly more damage within those five turns using Quickhit than you would with Lifesiphon.

Lets do some math. If Edge is dealing a normal base damage of 3500 per turn with "Attack", Quickhit should deal 8400 instead (3500 x 2.4 multiplayer of Quickhit). You'll land two quickhits off before someone lands a single Lifesiphon, which means you'll deal 16,800. In five turns, you should be dealing 84,000 damage. What this also means is you need to have Quickhit at rank 5 with ten uses to use it ten times within those five turns lol.

The trade off with using Quickhit is it's expensive to rank up, costing you 210 total Power Orbs and 315 Wind Orbs to upgrade it to rank 5. In contrast, Lifesiphon is simply far more economical, and builds more soulbreak. Edge is nigh useless thanks to his ability pool unfortunately. :/

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Vetis09

Vetis09 Active Member

Friend Code:
    iKmU
    His use will be on a water elemental team in magicite dungeons I would imagine.
    Off the top of my head water bsb users are
    Tidus
    Rikku
    Lulu
    Yuffie
    Edge
    Terra

3. Graham

Graham Member

I just don't see how he'll ever work on a team when he can't build soulbreak via Lifesiphon or Wrath. I mean, you could give him Mako Might; however, he just seems a bit useless to me imo. :/

4. felixier

felixier Salt Mountain Staff Member

Friend Code:
    9BVy
    While he takes slightly longer to get moving. Like just about every character these days. They will typically only get dusted off for 2 reasons. Elemental weakness. Or CM.

I do have the bsb. The thing you aren't paying attention to. Is the command is reduced delay. Because of this quick speed. Once he pops his first. He is like a hamster wheel. He builds the meter fast and can pop the next cast before the current one runs out.

However. If you have his ssb and you are trying to juggle them, you aren't going to fare so well. The meter build isn't there. But I think just about every character in this game struggles with trying to keep 2 sbs going at once so it's not as if it is a unique issue.

It's not top teir. But it's right below it. I throughly enjoy having it.

Graham likes this.
  5. Graham

Graham Member

I think I agree with your assessment. It's kind of a shame that FFIV's realm doesn't really offer a lot of top tier usage. I have mixed feelings about Kain's BSB, Cecil seems meh because tanks are kinda meh atm, Porom cannot generate soulbreak, and I haven't used the rest. I do think that Rosa is half decent; however, I don't really like the idea of her BSB dealing damage. I feel it could have a better effect. With this said, she is one of the select few medica WM's who can use Wrath, so you have to give her props.

felixier likes this.
  6. NoisePilot

NoisePilot Foundation Member

Friend Code:
    r4e2
    @felixier is right about the quickcast though. It make take a while to get it moving but when it does, the DPS just adds up. Don't underestimate it. :)

felixier likes this.
  7. felixier

felixier Salt Mountain Staff Member

Friend Code:
    9BVy
    Yep..all of the ff4 roster in the game has felt forgetable. They get a thing or two here and there but it's never been enough

8. Graham

Graham Member

Let's see how TAY is handled.

9. smeezus

smeezus Official RKF Banner Rater

Friend Code:
    9MbD
    Your best way to build SB is either to use QH until you're up. Once you're up you should have enough to take advantage of the SB's points to constantly keep it up. Overall it's a very solid BSB, especially against water-weak bosses.

Of course, there's also his BSB, which is filth.

10. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member

Medals:
    How could you ever forget PALADIN FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE

felixier and smeezus like this.
  11. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    YNvY
    I like it. I wish I had it for Edge so he has something to do with excess soul break charges after he has Eblon Doppleganger up. More likely, Doppleganger was used for Turn 1 survival, and some other Hastega is used later, so Edge should have something to do with his time.

12. Kenlimkenlim

Kenlimkenlim Official RKF Stat Lord

Friend Code:
    97yP
    I genuinely rate Paladin Force as one of my favourite BSBs. Sure, it's been power-creeped to hell, but it still works well. Now with Guardbringer, it'll still be used. In IV at least.

It was one of my first BSBs, and it has carried me through lots of stuff early on, so I have quite a soft spot for it.

OhCanada likes this.
  13. Starkiller

Starkiller Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Edge's BSB gets extremely sexy once you get his USB...he's a downright damage machine.

14. Graham

Graham Member

To be honest, after doing further research, I don't see his BSB ever coming into the equation once his Legend Materias are released. By that time, two amazing water-based five-star abilities will have been released, or should be soon thereafter.
    I'm referring to:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Water Reflection: 1xST Water physical attack, Physical Blink to user, allows user to exceed 1 stack, 2.0x multiplier.
    • Torrent Seal: 2~4xST Water physical attacks, number of hits is based on amount of Physical Blinks, 4.0x multiplier.
    Edge's Legend Materia's and it's relic:
    • Legend Materia II: 35% chance to Dualcast Ninja abilities.
    • Legend Materia I: Water Damage +10%.
    • Relic Legend Materia: When using Ninja abilities, 25% chance to grant Physical Blink 1 to user.
    Essentially, how this works is Edge uses Water Reflection first turn which gives his two stacks of Blink and allows the user to exceed the normal amount of stacks of Blink. Edge's Legend Materia II has a 35% chance to cast Water Reflection again on the first turn which should put him at 4x stacks of Blink. If Edge's legend materia II doesn't active and you don't cast Water Reflection again, you still have a chance to get at least one stack of blink because of his Relic Legend Materia.

By turn two, if you have your four stacks of blink, you can cast Torrent Seal which will hit four times if you have 4x blinks. By using Cloud's USB first turn and having Shout's buffs on you, then obtaining 4x stacks of Blink, you should be hitting like a monster.

But lets math.
    Lets say that Edge hits 5000 with an "Attack" command. Torrent Seal's multipliers are 4x, which means each of the four hits will hit four times his base damage of 5000. That's 20,000 per 4x hits dealing a whopping 80,000 damage. Remember, Cloud's USB gives 100% critical hit rate, and allows the user to exceed the damage cap with normal attacks. If Edge's Legend Materia II activates after using Torrent Seal, you're effectively doing 160,000 damage per turn.

You can see this JP user using Edge with this combo and reaching those heights of damage:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  15. Jenni

Jenni Well Known Member

Friend Code:
    wmVB
    Think I saw a video of Edge BSB with cloud USB doing 25k per hit. With the low CT that builds up fast.

16. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member

Medals:
    Don't forget his BSB also gives him enwater. That alone makes it worth it.

I can't agree more. Other than Tiny Bee, it was my first BSB along with Squall BSB. I got Bea BSB soon after which made me a solid holy team until Pecil final got edged out by Agrias.

Kenlimkenlim likes this.