Elemental BSB DPS Guide for D200+ Content

Discussion in 'Guides' started by MikeMcNugget, Jan 26, 2017.

1. MikeMcNugget

MikeMcNugget FEBUARY VIP 2017

Friend Code:
    GawB
    Elemental BSB DPS Guide for D200+ Content

[​IMG]

Preface
    To help people clear D200 D200 CM and D250 content more easily, but also to help them clear up some questions regarding what RMs are best, when is it better to use +element damage gear etc. While I use mage BSB for examples this is perfectly applicable to physical elemental BSBs as well. Physical softcap is easier to reach currently on global, where as mage takes a bit more effort so that's why I used a mage elemental BSB as my primary example in this guide.

DEF and RES
    First things first lets talk about the RES/DEF of the D200 Content versus U++ content. Targets with native weakness have higher RES/DEF than neutral targets.

U++ Bosses w/ native weakness: DEF ~2900 RES 4500
    U++ Bosses neutral: DEF ~1400 RES ~1700
    D200 Bosses w/ native weakness: DEF ~5100 RES ~6400
    D200 Bosses neutral: DEF ~4100 RES ~2900
    D250 Bosses w/ native weakness: DEF ~6100 RES ~8500
    D250 neutral: DEF ~5100 RES ~4500(global hasn’t received neutral D250 targets so I’m estimating these)

As you can see the DEF and RES goes up quite a bit from U++ to D250. So if you go into D250 with the same RM and gear setup as your U++ team you’re going to encounter some problems. I’m not saying you need to go chase relics to clear the boss. What I am saying is you now need to tweak your gear a bit more specifically RMs, imperils, and +element gear to get as much DPS out of your team possible.

Record Materias
    Devotion and other stat RMs: Devotion was fantastic when it first came out, but with the availability of faithgas, particularly being able to RW Raines BSB which provides you two faithgas at once, it has become somewhat obsolete. Just like physical teams no longer use Dragoon's Determination RM to hit softcap it's in your best interest if your able to hit softcap to NOT use a stat RM. Additionally, just like the attack softcap, once you reach the mag soft cap, damage% gear and RM’s are going to do more for your DPS than stats will. This becomes significantly MORE apparent on d200+ content.

Below is a table that shows the required mag stats to hit mag softcap along with the MAG required to 3-hit Tiamat. You need 303 attack to hit softcap with Shout and a 30% attack buff like OK BSB. You need 398 attack to hit softcap with just shout.

[​IMG]

Ace Strike/Battle Forged: This RM is perfectly fine on U++ and lower but it just won’t usually cut it on d200 and above for dishing out good DPS unless you’re hitting weakness or you have an enelement + OSB. It’s great for non-damaging soul breaks and medicas but that’s about it.

Damage RMs: 20-30% damage RMs are really going to be your go-to for damage on d200 content and higher as they will help you deal respectable damage. Because of how damage is calculated the difference between 20% and 30% is actually quite big.

The formula for all elemental soul breaks are calculated as follows:

(En + weapon boost + armor boost) * (RM) * (imperil) = elemental boost.

Alphinaud’s BSB DPS is at 206.52 on Kevun1 DPS rankings on ranking so we’re going to use that figure.

Alphinaud BSB w/ 20% smn dmg RM
    Alphinaud w/o wind gear: 206.52(1.2)=247.82
    Alphinaud with +20% wind gear: 206.52(1.2)*(1.2)=297.39
    Alphinaud BSB w/ 30% smn dmg RM
    Alphinaud w/o wind gear: 206.52(1.3)=268.48
    Alphinaud w/ 20% gear: 206.52(1.2)(1.3)=322.17

As you can see the difference is pretty noticeable between the 20% and 30% damage RMs for Alphinaud. Simply by switching ace striker to a 20% we notice a huge difference in DPS. Now you might be saying but I can spam my BSB more often if I use Ace Striker/battle forged. Well that’s fine on short fights where you want to build SB as fast as possible, but on torment fights you can hit and run or take your time and enter the boss round with 2-3 SB bars and still have a damage RM. So there is no reason to run Ace Striker on a DPS BSB. Let’s look at them on a real scenario.

[​IMG]

You’re doing ~9k more damage with Alphinaud’s BSB entry with a 30% damage RM versus Ace striker. That’s big! And if you are going into the boss round with 2-3 soulbreak bars you’re going to kill it faster than if you had Ace striker because you’ll always have 1 SB in reserve to spam it.

Elemental Damage Gear
    Elemental damage gear is the best thing you can do for your damage once you reach softcap. However, even if you are just a bit away from softcap, +elemental gear is still going be beneficial going to be more beneficial. When I say a bit I really emphasize a “bit.” I’m talking like no more than 18 MAG away from softcap. So I’m talking like 398+ while under burst mode and 451+ while not under burst mode. So just to be safe, since you don’t want your DPS hitting the fan or you may not have burst mode up especially at the beginning of a torment dungeon, if you have a +20% elemental damage piece of gear then 451+ mag is a safe bet to aim for if using three 30% faithgas.

[​IMG]

Imperil
    I covered imperils in my last guide so not going to go over it too much. If you have one and you have a BSB that corresponds to that element use it, assuming imperil is on a decent character. So if its on a breaker or attached to a BSB it’s pretty safe to say it’s a good idea to bring him especially on neutral targets.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Leprechaun, Elskidor, Roche and 5 others like this.
  2. Rem Tokimiya

Rem Tokimiya Well Known Member Successor of SeeD TOTS Warrior Supremacy Element: Dark Dark Hime

Friend Code:
    9exu
    Excellent write up Mike, btw now triple 30% faithga is my standard procedure.
    When I grind torment I'll still prefer use RM Ace striker or Battleforge.
    I need faster grind game not hit and run game, hit and run also time consuming but if you compare DPS, definitely 20-30% damage RM always much much better.

Roche and MikeMcNugget like this.
  3. MikeMcNugget

Friend Code:
    GawB
    I personally don't do hit and run method, i know that works for some people that's why i mentioned it in the guide. What i do is kill stuff slowly during the trash rounds. Basically everyone is wacking stuff with staffs and rods before i actually clear a round so that i ensure 2-3 SB bars.

This is a bit more time consuming than just pew pew through trash but it guarentees me high DPS on boss round.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Roche and Rem Tokimiya like this.
  4. Roche

Roche "Not that Biker SOLDIER" Mod-Keeper Staff Member Moderator TOTS Warrior Onion Knight Master

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    In the days drawing close to Cloud USB meta, I also find myself drawn to guides like what @MikeMcNugget had written.

May I propose an updated guide on this once Cloud USB or Extreme Fest is released? I'm truly fascinated by the fact that in harder content, once chars have hit L99 and at least all 3* motes RD'd, that using elemental+ or damage+ RMs and similar relics is more favorable to overall DPS. I wonder if it still holds true after these events.

MikeMcNugget likes this.
  5. aopp

aopp Official RKF New York Don

Medals:
    Every buddy read this 2x cuz the upcoming Torments D300 make the usual RMs et al AceStriker types or MMark useless... Going to hv to consider other Materia, granted Legend Mats will be around but LM2s will take some time making the M99 30% boosts a must... In some cases we can only do our best per example I love Yuna and her M99 = 30% more summon damage but since I dont hv any of her SBs I cant seem to justify L99ing her, resorting to RMs doing 20% summon dam dam... Better than nothing...

@MikeMcNugget - wonderful post indetail!

@0pp

MikeMcNugget likes this.
  6. MikeMcNugget

Friend Code:
    GawB
    i do need to update this info to include chains lol been busy

Roche likes this.