F2P guide: when to pull!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by talsa88, Oct 2, 2017.

1. talsa88

talsa88 Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    gYeG
    Hey y'all, so I'm bored on my day off and decided, as someone who has been pretty much F2P since he started and who was able to clear almost all content without 100-gems, I could maybe write a quick guide, for the new meta, on when to pull for F2P n00bs. I know I'm not a forum admin, so if this is out of line, please feel free to delete. This is purely based on my experience of the game, so take it with a grain of salt, and remember, this is about making YOUR experience the most fun possible! If that means altering these rules slightly, please do so!

So, if you're like me (poor), and you want to be able to clear more content in the game, but that sweet, sweet mythril just isn't doing the job for you, maybe you need to budget better, F2P friend! As F2P players, mythril is probably our most precious currency in the game, and we need to spend it wisely. The following is a series of quick questions to ask yourself that may help your pulling habits. I'll try to keep it brief.

A. Before even looking at the banner, ask yourself:
    1. Why do I play this game? What about it, specifically, is fun for me?
    2. What content do I most want to be able to clear? What content matters less to me?
    3. Which realms and elements are my weakest and strongest?
    4. Name your top 10 characters in the series. If this is too hard, name your top 3 or 4 games in the series.
    B. For each relic on the banner in question, ask yourself:
    1. Would this relic significantly impact my ability to clear the content in question #2 above? Think about the specific difficulties you've had with said content...dying too fast? You need a stronger medica. Not able to deal enough damage? You need more DPS or better boosts.
    2. Would this relic offer me realm synergy in a weak realm? The most important parts of realm synergy are, of course: medica, hastega, and DPS.
    3. Would this relic significantly improve one of my weak elements? Usually this means it's either an Enele- BSB, an OSB, or a USB. In some rare cases (like Celes BSB1), it might be none of those things, but provides a unique party buff or some other significant mechanic.
    4. Is this relic a solid, useful option for one of my favorite characters listed in #4 above?
    If the answer to at least two (change this number as you see fit) of the questions in that second list is "Yes," CONGRATULATIONS! This relic is probably worth 50 mythril. Let's call it worthy.

BUT WAIT, WAIT! We need to consider the banner, not just the mythril.

C. But do I pull?
    Now it's math time. Get out your pencils! :Locke:
    1. Count the number of relics on the banner, total. For standard event banners, this is usually 12, and for fest banners, 14.
    2. Go through and, for each relic, ask yourself the questions in section B. Keep a tally of how many relics were worthy.
    3. Now, turn these numbers into a fraction and then convert to percentage. If 5 of the 12 relics on the banner were worthy, that's a little under 50% of the banner. You can be as precise or imprecise as you deem necessary.
    4. The threshold percentage where you deem the entire banner to be SUPAH WORTHY DESU DESU is totally your call, but I'm very cheap with my mythril, so mine is usually 50%. For fest banners, I tend to pick a lower percentage, just because of the significantly increased quality of the banners and the fact that, at worst, you'll usually get something useful (unlike all those LMRs for characters you have nothing else for...).

I hope this helps you to achieve your mythril dreams, fellow F2Pers! Go! FIGHT! WIN!!! :Chrono:

Further reading:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6vvwiq/mythril_planner_septemberoctober_edition/

Vetheran and JeanQuebecois like this.
  2. Vetheran

Vetheran Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Nice write up!

One other thing I usually consider besides the overall worth of the banner, is the case of game breaking relics.

To give you my reason: with full priced banners, my worst nightmare is going 1/11 with a dupe/ssb/lmr. And that happens more often than I would like. So basically I am only willing to take the risk if there is a game breaker relic on the banner.

That being said, I never chased on a banner with more than 4 pulls, and in the end I always got what I wanted. I call myself extremely lucky for that. But with this method I have to accept that I cannot chase every game breaking relic, but I can comfortably chase about 50% of them.

Right now, I am holding off on pulling on anything that is not half off. I am waiting for a strong water banner or elemental themed banners in general.

talsa88 likes this.
  3. talsa88

talsa88 Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    gYeG
    Good point! One thing I'd add is that "game-breaking," as is the case with all relics, should be put in the context of your collection. For example, OK BSB, which I don't have, is game breaking no matter what. However, first I consider what it offers - a hybrid boost on a wrath-able character, plus some DPS. While the hybrid boost is useful, I'm currently able to complete all content I want to except for CMs, because I have almost every non-hybrid boost under the sun - Rapha, Raines, Krile, Papalymo, Ramza, and Reks - plus a few mediocre hybrid boosts.

In other words, while that relic would be game-breaking for me, it may depend on the rest of a particular banner to determine whether or not it's really worth 50 mythril. It's important to remember, at the end of the day, that pulling is a game of chance, so its best to gamble where you have the best chance of a positive outcome.

TL, DR: consider your full relic collection and the full banner before chasing game-breaking relics, BUT they are often worth it!

PS: I'm also in need of good water stuff! The upcoming X banner (end of nex month, I think) looks like our best shot! Also saving for VIII next week because I NEED ICE RELIX.