How high can I safely level 5* & 6* before slotting in RS's?

Discussion in 'Characters & Equipments' started by Phoenix7786, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Phoenix7786

Phoenix7786 New Member

Heya all. New-ish player here. I've been frugal with my Mythril and have a smattering of 5 & 6 * items. I've been warned to augment items with Rosetta Stones before I level them so I don't hit the cap by accident. I am slowly accruing a decent collection of Abilities and I've got a couple of squads in their 60's and a FF8 team in their 80's. However with Item Level 1 gear I'm hitting a bit of a wall in my progression.

Is there any general consensus on how high I can safely raise an item's level without screwing myself out of the Augments or does it depend on the exact items I'm using?

2. Moridraug

Moridraug Absolute Warlord

...what? I think I don't get the point, tbh. When you get 5* or 6* equipment, you always level it up, and if this is something very good, like powerful sword with +elemental damage, you may consider using rosettas on it. Not "first rosetta, then level". Whoever told you that you can somehow screw yourself with leveling items is wrong at the very least.

3. Phoenix7786

Phoenix7786 New Member

I had a friend of mine assure me that you can't use Rosetta Stone's to augment an item's stats if you've maxed the level out so I should max the augmentation before leveling it out.

You're saying I should not hesitate to start leveling really good equipment?

4. Moridraug

Moridraug Absolute Warlord

This is wrong, you'll just waste the exp from the rosetta (not like it's a problem with the amounts of scarletites/adamantites we're getting all the time), but not the augment point. And yes, you should level all the 5* and 6* relics you get.

5. Roche

Roche "Teach-me-how-to-FFRK" Mod-Sensei Staff Member Moderator Onion Knight Master TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Hello & welcome to the forums!

Regarding Equipment levels, the most straightforward and affordable method is
    • Scarletites for Weapons (up to 20/20 for 5* relics; up to 25/25 for 6* relics)
    • Adamantites for Armors (up to 20/20 for 5* relics; up to 25/25 for 6* relics)
    If you come across a versatile relic, such as those with native +element_damage (e.g. Lightning USB Sword Razor Carbine which has +Lightning or Snow BSB2 Light Armor AMP Coat which has +ice), then you know it is worth investing Rosetta Stones or feed obsolete 5* relics into your desired relic for Augmentation. Frankly, I wouldn't sweat much about the wastage of "EXP" for equipment upgrade: if you benefit from it, GREAT! ; if you don't, never mind.

Also, If you hadn't already known, there is a small chance that instead of a single Augment level, increasing the Augment level by 1, in rare cases turn out into a Major Augment, instead increasing the value by 2 instead. Hence, many keepers do encourage Augmenting 1 Rosetta Stone at a time. But, due to its time consuming steps, perhaps you might rather do something like 5 Stones for a chance? After all, using multiple stones at once does not increase the odds of Major Augment.

I hope that this explanation clarifies your confusion.

6. Roche

Roche "Teach-me-how-to-FFRK" Mod-Sensei Staff Member Moderator Onion Knight Master TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    You could also just share with us what are your native 5* and 6* relics so that we can help you decide on the Upgrade and/or Augment priority?

Do drop by Chat to find us!

7. Phoenix7786

Phoenix7786 New Member

Weapons
    1. Unsetting Sun
    2. Conductor
    3. Lilith Rod Zeta
    4. Antares
    5. Cocytus
    6. Lionheart
    7. Way to the Dawn
    8. Zantetsuken (I can tell from the lack of mastery this thing was only a tutorial freebie, this game's Jeigan if you will)
    9. Gold Sword (I can tell this is junk)
    10. Ultima Blade
    11. Soul Eater
    12. Masamune
    13. Partisan
    14. Chainsaw
    15. Heavy Lance
    16. Tigerfang
    17. Light Rod
    18. Braska's Staff
    19. Shortbarrel
    20. Deneb Duellers
    21. Sirius Sidearms
    22. Canopus AMPs
    23. Over The Top
    24. The Blitz
    25. Platinum Barett
    26. Kingdom Key (I can tell these are not worth it since I already have better keyblades for Sora and Riku)

Armor
    1. Gaia Gear
    2. Flame Shield
    3. Jecht't Bandana
    4. Freya's Cap
    5. Beatrix's Plate
    6. Hope's Guise
    7. Striker's Cuirass
    8. Cloud
    9. Genji Glove
    10. Empyreal Armband

8. Wolf

Wolf Ghost Member Supremacy Realm: Tactics

Full Legend Characters:
    Ramza / Yuffie / Orlandeau / Onion Knight / Luneth / Squall / Galuf / Tyro / Mog / Faris / Cloud / Eiko / Y' shtola / Lighting / Rinoa / Garland / Terra
    One thing to KEEP in mind, all SB's are linked to their character after master so, after mastering
    unless you need realm synergy ( for lack of ) or a piece of equipment has a bonus stat benefit,
    you will eventually augment a Stat stick ( highest level for type ) that you will use for any character that
    can benefit from it's use, in ANY battle, thus, becoming attached to any other equipment BELOW Burst,
    as a must keeper, is a waste of time and space.

good luck, sir and welcome
    Wolf

9. Roche

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Do remember that some relics also have copies in other realms, such as Ultima Blade which appear in both FF7 and FF9.

But so far, I don't see any that appears worthy to augment, only to upgrade. But if any of them had been combined twice and reforged, perhaps u could use your Rosetta stones on them then.

10. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    Yeah your friend definitely misinformed you :(
    With that said my contribution to this is that most people don't augment armor. Rosetta stones are pretty plentiful, however you should always consider RS. Your best armor for a given realm will almost certainly be RS gear. Sometimes even natural 3* or 4* equipment can be stronger than a 5* as long as it has RS. Because of this it's hard to pick one set of armor that's worth augmenting.

Weapons on the other hand, particularly natural 6* weapons will often be better than their lower rarity counter parts, even when the lower rarity has RS and the 6* does not. Things I consider when augmenting are:
    1) Does it have element+?
    2) It it a high rarity (combined/reforged)?
    3) Is it a common weapon type (daggers, swords, staffs, and rods can be used by many)?
    ---> You may want to avoid uncommon weapons like books because not many characters can use them.

With all this said, I would hold off on augments until after 3rd anniversary in a few weeks. You're very likely to have better relics after that event and it may change your augment priorities.

Roche likes this.