Increase the DMG Cap to 99,999

Discussion in 'Bugs, Hackers & Feature Requests' started by Ikiimoni, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Ikiimoni

Ikiimoni Member

Nowadays, only multi-hit soul breaks are desirable among advanced players. This is because powerful single strikes such as Tidus's Spiral Cut almost always do the damage cap, dealing 9999. This makes useful characters undesirable, and I think I speak for many, many people when I ask for the damage cap to be raised.

Also, this actually gives a purpose to Firaja, Blizzaja and Thundaja.

Luninareph and Suzaku like this.
  2. Felix

Felix Salt Mountain Spreadsheet Warrior

Friend Code:
    9BVy
    Pretty sure they don't fix the damage cap because they keep raising the defense of the monsters. While I'm totally in agreement and would love the 99999...if they haven't done it now I don't know if they will ever. (Maybe something they will look into when they go to a 3rd memory crystal? Or make some special break materia) I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

3. SmoothJK

SmoothJK Foundation Member

Medals:
    This. It's a Final Fantasy staple, pretty much, to max out at 9,999 per hit (even Knights of the Round summon, for example)...and even hitting the max isn't a given on higher difficulties. If JP still hasn't done it, we won't be seeing it any time soon.

Evil Crusader likes this.
  4. Ikiimoni

Ikiimoni Member

Not sure which, but I think certain FF games even have a damage cap up to 999,999. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FFX one of them? Regardless, plenty of spinoff series such as Bravely Default have a way to break the damage cap.

5. SmoothJK

SmoothJK Foundation Member

Medals:
    Sorry, you may be right. I am an old schooler and really stopped playing FF before X (I didn't have a PS2 at the time).

I think given enough time and power creep, the damage cap may increase...but given that Japan hasn't seen it yet, it will be quite some time over here, sadly. =(

6. ParaOmega

ParaOmega Active Member

The history of damage above 9,999 can be found here. Notice, the FF2 information isn't complete. If anyone ever played FF2 in Japanese version (NES) when it first came out, the person would know that there is a way to break the limit 9,999 damage with a glitch (instead of the way described in the link). However, the glitch would also lead to game data disappearing. :p

7. Sushi

Sushi Absolute Warlord

Usually it would invovle an item or an ability for characters to break the limit but for the most part of the game you'd be capped, most likely we might see it further down the future, but I'm not hoping for that, it would complicate things.

Evil Crusader likes this.
  8. Evil Crusader

Evil Crusader The Very (N)Ice Cream Mod

Medals:
    As very often, I second Sushi.
    It does seem cool until you realize they can ramp up the HP and... everything becomes messy.
    Better to leave it as it is than to jump the shark.

Sushi likes this.
  9. Sushi

Sushi Absolute Warlord

Old school FF never broke the cap, just X and above I believe?

10. Evil Crusader

Medals:
    Intentionally no, though it was more of a data storage issue than a real design choice.
    I still think subsequent iterations of Break Limit Damage have shown that the mechanic only leads to overblown, bloated fights; think the XII superboss, which you could afk through because it took two hours to beat. 30' is epic, 2h+ is boring.

Sushi likes this.
  11. Darth Pikachu

Darth Pikachu Member

I have an idea for a compromise. What if they made a 5* accesory that comes with the ability Break Damage Limit? Like maybe for a reward on an EX+ dungeon? Just a thought.

TheNeil likes this.
  12. Evil Crusader

Medals:
    Dunno, it'd be rather exclusive. What about the others? And besides, there's always the problem of length inflation-

13. ParaOmega

ParaOmega Active Member

I have heard and seen that gravity deals up to 9999 damage only (for current game status). However, I saw a video from ... can't remember his name... who is playing Japanese version. He dealt 22.4k damage to boss's minion. Does that mean the damage above 9999 for gravity is coming back?

14. Evil Crusader

Medals:
    Maybe it was an old version, maybe not. I do remember it getting tweaked eventually, though.

15. juniglee

juniglee Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Pretty much this. It will end up just creeping up on one another. We'll then reach a point where we are seeing 99, 999 damage, then we'll ask for 999, 999 damage.

As it stands, in JP, you are most often not hitting for 9999 for anything of a higher difficulty without weaknesses unless you are way decked out in gear and synergy. Any of the -ga spells don't even hit 9999 damage with 5* synergy gear and weakness, unless you are crazily stacking like Power of Faith + Lulu's 30% MAG buff + Mental Breakdown or something.

Rinny and Evil Crusader like this.