Locke

Discussion in 'Characters & Equipments' started by BarretsRightHand, Jun 3, 2015.

1. BarretsRightHand

BarretsRightHand Member

Just got him! How do you guys like him so far and do you have suggestions on how to customize him?

2. Luninareph

Luninareph Absolute Warlord

I like him a lot so far. He's a decent fighter, very speedy, with the ability to use ranged weapons and a lot of support utility. He's basically a slightly worse Wakka right now, mostly down to stats (inferior in pretty much everything but SPD,) since we don't have any Thief abilities and most people probably don't have many Celerity abilities above 3, but he still does a great job with stuff like the Breaks, the Busters, Boost, and Leg Shot. He can also use Bladeblitz, where Wakka cannot, and Shadowbind if you've got it, although he cannot use the Breakdowns (only 3 Support,) which is too bad.

Overall, though he's perhaps a little underwhelming right now, I like what he can do and I really like what he'll be able to do in the future.

Evil Crusader, Seigyoku and Kantolin like this.
  3. Kantolin

Kantolin Airborne Mod Staff Member Moderator Forum Advocate Dragoon Master

Locke has higher attack, speed, defense, hit points, and resistance than Wakka.

So unless this link is incorrect ( https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/game/951/wiki/Character_Rankings ), Locke is considerably better than wakka statwise. I think Luneth might be a better comparison - Luneth is a little stronger and also has some versatility.

Of course, everything else there is completely accurate - we've got no thief skills, we don't really have high end celerity skills, so right now Locke is 'a good attacker with some support'. Which isn't the most exciting, but isn't a /bad/ place to be.

(And also, uh, Locke's default soulbreak is not terribly valuable in general, which does hurt him. It could come up if you're doing the ubiquitous retaliate strategy, though, as then you want everyone who isn't using retaliate in the back row, Locke does have boost and a break, and will still have a 'frontrow' soulbreak. But, while neat, that's much more of a niche occasion than something worth analyzing)

Seigyoku and Luninareph like this.
  4. Luninareph

OHHHH. Whoops. Wakka has Record Materia in JP, so I have his level 65 stats jotted down, but Locke does not, so I've only got his level 50 stats. That was a bit of a mistake, thanks for pointing that out XD;

5. Kantolin

Kantolin Airborne Mod Staff Member Moderator Forum Advocate Dragoon Master

That worries me, actually - Locke's easily my favorite final fantasy character period, so hearing that he's behind on the record materia count is a concern, haha. But that's a ways off anyway, so I guess it's nothing for me to worry about.

It's too bad he can't use the breakdowns - with his speed, they (like all status) would be more valuable as he can get them off more quickly.

Of course, Locke is currently terrific in FF6 realms.

Luninareph likes this.
  6. Luninareph

It took them forever to come out with Celes' Record Materia as well! Hopefully we get them expedited when they start coming over to NA. Locke may not be my favorite FF character, but he's easily my favorite FF thief, so I'd like to get him up to speed faster too :3

LarzTTV, Elskidor and Kantolin like this.
  7. Seigyoku

Seigyoku Dedicated Warrior

Since Thief abilities were brought up, I'd like to mention that one of the abilities, Steal Armor, acts as Armor Breakdown and provides Locke with more defense (Protect?), so in this sense, he can do an important job normally relegated to Wakka or Terra.

Other notable abilities include Steal Time, which slows the target and hastes the user, and Steal HP, which more or less does what you'd expect.

(Now it's just a matter of them coming over to Global...)

8. AlmostGenius

AlmostGenius New Member

ULTRA valuable!

9. Blu

Blu Absolute Warlord

I will, yes, use him with Thief skills, but they aren't released yet, so he'll be my VI support, running Breaks and Busters.
    Other than VI, my other go-to-supports are Wakka and Vaan. (not released yet)

10. LarzTTV

LarzTTV Active Member

If you get lucky enough to pull his SB weapon, having an aoe dmg/slow effect is great, even outside of the FFVI levels.

Elskidor likes this.