Looking for advice on expansion from current team

Discussion in 'Party Help' started by Gaelstrom, May 10, 2018.

1. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

Hello, all, I've recently signed up as I have had some guidance before but my friends no longer play. I'm looking for who to go for based on my current team in future pulls.

They advised me to invest in Cid, Bartz, Y'shtola, Relm and Ramza, as such they are my fully dived team, here are my current abilities with them:

Cid: Swordplay and Sword Saint - Legend materia as Supreme Swordsman and Holy Steel's Summit, he's my primary damage dealer - I bring an Assault Saber and swap for swap out for Dread Weapon where appropriate
    Bartz: Latent Power, Woken Water, Chosen Traveler - Legend Materia Twinstrike Champion and Fragments of Grace + Record as Spellblade Master for his highest chance of multi-spellblade proc, secondary and elemental focused damage dealer. I pretty much run Snowspell Strike for everything except where weakness applies
    Ramza: I am fortunate enough to have some good stuff for him, Battle Cry, Chant, Unsung Hero and History's Truth. I pretty much only ever use Battle Cry and Chant though. I use him as my Full Breaker, then just chart the gauge for buffs.
    Y'shtola: My main healer, I was very happy to get Stoneskin II and Asylum for her, so she keeps me alive most. Ultra Cutre and Protectga on every battle basically.
    Relm: I only have Star Prism for her, since it generates Last Stand and backup healing, I've kept her and Y'shtola through everything. She's Slow/Dispel with Shellga.

I pretty much always bring Sentinel's Grimoire or recently the new one to every battle for wanderer.

Notable others I don't use often:
    Sephiroth: Octaslash, Heartless Angel, and Heaven's Light - My Dark swap for Bartz
    Agrias: Divine Ruination, Loyal Blade - My Holy swapout for Bartz
    Luneth: Eternal Wind, Heavenly Gust, Storm of Blades - Wind swapout for Cid if it makes sense to do so
    Faris: Serpent's Gale, Pirate Princess - Used to be used in place of Ramza before I got all his stuff. Haven't really used her since, Luneth having Burst makes him a superior wind focus
    Gladiolus: Pep Talk and Tempest - Earth potential but not appropriate really compared to Bartz with Spellblade ability. I have him swapped for Earth Mote Dungeon and that's about it, but would like to enhance him potentially if worth it to swap our Relm with Last stand, but her extra healing potential makes that seem unreasonable.
    Cloud: I have ONLY his Ultra Cross Slash, which with Omega Drive I know is quite strong, however he is not fully dived and has little else, so for some reason I can not get him to really go far beyond damage cap even with Chant and Battle Cry active.
    Laguna: Without really trying I got Desperado, Freezing Beam, Split Laser, and Ragnarok Buster - I only just recently got him to 99 after getting most of those during the recent event, so haven't used him at all really.
    Marche: Nurse, Divine Combo, Knight Combo - Got these while going for Ramza, so haven't used him at all.

As you can see I have basically no magic at all. I got Terra's Arcane, and during that3-pull earlier, I went for Papalymo's 2, so have Enochian Firaja and Flareja for Fire Magic, but otherwise no focus.

Three main questions besides any feedback you can provide:
    1)
    Should I really aim for any mages?
    2) What events should I save up for, or should I really just go for pulls for characters that make sense?
    3) Are there lists of 'must have' characters/abilities I can reference?

I appreciate any and all feedback anyone can provide!

Roche likes this.
  2. AK-Exodus

AK-Exodus Absolute Warlord Inquisitor

Medals:
    1) I wouldn't aim for mages just for the sake of having them. Just draw on whichever banners are generally accepted as "good". You should naturally get mage stuff here and there.

2) People will have different answers here, but I'm personally drawing on the upcoming FF Type-0 and FF6 events. For you though, it'll depend on your myth count. If you're lowish on myth and can complete all content, you're better off saving for a fest when there's a greater amount of good stuff in any given banner.

Everyone will have different criteria for deciding to draw on a banner. I look at the dupes I already possess, and the quality of the relics. I would never focus on trying to get 1 character's relics, because that's just asking for RNG to destroy you.

3) For 4* abilities, shellga, protectga, the breakdowns, wrath and lifesiphon. The rest can be honed as needed. For 5*, fullbreak, ultra cure, entrust and anything else that has an element. I stay away from non-elemental abilities.

When you choose abilities, the goal is to hone those that you have a good character's relics to go with. i.e. Don't hone machinist abilities if you don't have element-compatible soul breaks for any machinists. The only exception is if you're into completing those Cid Missions where you have to use a whole party from the specific realm. Then you might have to hone odd things.

I don't think there are any "must-have" characters. Characters are typically only as good as their soul breaks.

Jan and Roche like this.
  3. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I have been so far only really pulling on the 25-mythril pulls and saving mythril. During the last release of the dungeons I blasted through every one of them since I started in Oct and got like 1000 mythril. I unfortunatly blew like 500 on trying to get Ramza's stuff, but in the end, he's been worth it. I got through the majority of the remaining ones this time around, but still have some 180 and 220 difficulties to beat. Since then I've only had enough for single pulls on banners at any given time, and now have 150. I saw reference on the board of upcoming banners and saw a lot of newer excellent stuff coming out for them that I don't have. If Tyro had a last stand, then I'd go for his newer buff that adds shell, protect and haste and swap out Relm for him easily.

I am so tempted by the water and earth chain pulls right now, but there's nothing much else I need from them.

If I have no mages, any recommendations on what I can do for the Omniscient? He's a small aspect of the dungeons, but he's technically an impossible boss for me right now.

Roche likes this.
  4. Yaridovich

Yaridovich Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    1) Yes, it's good to have a mage team for when you need one - like the Omniscient example. That said, don't just go around spending your mithril in any banner with mage stuff in it. Look for the best ones. Right now, we have a banner with Maria USB and Minwu USB2 which are both great, but Maria USB will return later on during Fest (not sure about Minwu USB2). Just plan your pulls.

2) I used to have a link for a spreadsheet that contained all future events, but that spreadsheet is no longer being updated. In a general sense, I just ask around for people who are up-to-date with JP events so they know what events we're getting in the future, then save up for those events.

3) As Exodus noted, there are no must-have characters - it depends on what SBs you have for each of them. The only exception being Shelke, who you should acquire and LD even if you don't have any SBs for her because it allows her to be perfect for Entrusting purposes. You might also wanna consider leveling some characters for their RM3s as well like Tyro, Cloud and Luneth if you haven't already.
    Abilities nowadays are mostly 5* and up - very few 4* and below abilities are still useful. The most useful 4* or below ones are - also as noted by Exodus - Wrath, Lifesiphon, breakdowns, Protectga and Shellga. Besides these, there are others that are also useful in certain situations - Banishing Strike and Dispel when you need a dispel, the 4* Witch spells since they deal some damage + grant quickcast to your next turn, Curaja if you don't have Ultra Cure or Curada honed enough... I also still keep the 3* combat abilities with break effects for medal conditions in case I want to bring a team that is full damage and no one can use Support 4* or above.
    For 5* and above, it'll depend on what characters you're using. For instance, Snowspell Strike and all the 5* spellblade abilities will work great with Bartz.

Regarding your team setup, TGCid is by far your strongest character right now. Bartz is a close second, Ramza is pretty much your go-to physical booster and Ysh is your best healer.

Also, important - you got Marche USB. You should by far NOT ignore him. The team quickcast he grants has ridiculous DPS potential AND he also gets dualcast Knight on his legend dive. Even if you're fighting a boss that isn't weak to Holy or Earth, you can still bring Marche just for the team quickcast alone.

You should also LD TGCid as well if you haven't already - and on that note, plan your LDs accordingly because 5* motes aren't easy to come by. You don't need to LD Ramza even if you have a lot of stuff for him. LDing Ysh is optional - dualcast healers can really save you from tough times, but you can also use those motes for DPS mages in the future.

Other than these, you have some other good characters and I'd suggest using them accordingly - if you need Wind DPS, you'll probably want Bartz and Luneth, for instance.

Roche likes this.
  5. AK-Exodus

Medals:
    You could probably count the number of physical immune bosses on one hand. In those rare cases, use what you've got and supplement with RW if possible. Just need a couple mage BSBs and/or some honed 5* abilities.

Roche likes this.
  6. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

Sounds like I already have a solid foundation overall, and the fact that I can regularly get through 220s shows that. What I need to do now is be able to beat the Nightmare dungeons. I know I'm not supposed to go for anything in particular, however the reason I asked about mages is because I can't beat Kaiser Dragon, Vilgarmanda and the GUardian inthe Nightmare dungeons without a gimmick crew of summons, white or black magic. So I guess it's just a waiting game until I get something through chance to make a team barely good enough to get through it?

Roche likes this.
  7. Yaridovich

Medals:
    For Guardian you can either use the boss' gimmick (in which case you'll need WHM spells, but even the low rarity ones will do) or you can brute force it (in which case you'll need healing and magic attacks).

In terms of characters & soul breaks, I'd say that besides acquiring more of the top DPS relics (again, plan ahead), you can also use with more sources of Last Stand. Edge's Eblan Doppleganger and Eiko's Guardian Mog USB are probably the best sources due to being instacast with extra effects too, but there are others.

And seriously, don't overlook Marche. :p

Roche likes this.
  8. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

I admit I've ignored USBs until Cid's. Most USBs are one-time and their effect is not really as useful as the BSBs I have seen/have. I did not notice that Marshe's was like Cids and remained for a while and affected every time he used Knight abilities. I picked Agrias because she caused diminishing holy resist which enhanced both their damage, and that was more useful than increasing time to attack since Cid has perpetual haste now anyway.

How would you use it effectively for DPS in your experience? I would like to see if there's a technique I'm unaware of or haven't thought of.

Roche likes this.
  9. Yaridovich

Medals:
    Most USBs aren't really one-time. A lot of them generate bonuses that usually last for 25+ seconds, a lot of others include EX Modes which also have a duration. Actually, I'm having a hard time even thinking of USBs that have one-time effects and these are mostly healer USBs.

BSBs are only going to be useful for you while you're lacking hones for your abilities since they're decent replacements for abilities that aren't honed enough, but for the most part, abilities deal far more damage than burst commands.

Using Marche USB is really just a matter of activating the USB and using Knight abilities. After the ability is used, your whole front row will get a charge of quickcast on their next offensive action.

If you have it, you can bring an entruster with Mako Might and equip Marche with the TGM RM, then have the entruster use Entrust on Marche. With the TGM RM, Marche will activate his USB a lot faster and attack a lot faster as well, further speeding up how quickly he's granting the team charges of quickcast.

For my Holy teams, I'm using TGCid and Marche. The only thing I'm lacking is TGCid's LMR, but even then, they're still both absolute DPS monsters together.

Roche likes this.
  10. AK-Exodus

Medals:
    Like Yari said, BSBs are only preferred if your hones are lacking.
    Nightmares are pretty gimmicky. When they first came out, it usually involved crafting/honing a bunch of stuff. I haven't tried them again since powercreep, so I don't know what you can get away with these days.

Yaridovich likes this.
  11. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

Interesting, Cid's USB is good, but since it procs twice but uses two abilities, he only gets to use it 5 times a battle with maxed Assault Saber and other is always Lifesyphon for every attacker. Granted this is usually enough, but 220 and over that tends to cut it a bit close. For example during the anniversary event I got every battle but the top one in the crystal tower, some reason I just couldn't get below the last 10%.

This is interesting though, USBs maybe have been something I've misread. Agrias's Loyal Blade for example didnt sound very useful since it only increased damage a small amount. Granted I have no idea what it means by 'infuse user with power of holy light.' I find that a lot with abilities that 'it enables whatever mode' and I have no idea what it's referencing and I haven't been able to find it effectively in the help section for some reason.

I guess that would be a good adjustment for my strategy, would either of you happen to know where a good location to research the effects of these attacks for each character may be? Most sites I check just list what the abilities say, no explanation.

Also, since lifesyphon is on all attackers, and they have the 3 that increase meter by using abilities, is there a more effective means players are using recently? I see people just launching bursts on youtube far faster than me, my first 4 turns is always gaining gauge. Relm and Y'shtola have my starter 2-bar to last stand and have a backup Wall.

12. AK-Exodus

Medals:
    "Infusing" or "enelement" (i.e. "infuse with power of holy light" = "enholy") is essentially increasing your damage dealt with the element by 50%. It also increases your resistance to that element, but that's a minor point.

Lifesiphon is out of favour now in general. If the boss has a weakness to any element, it's better to use a 5* ability of that element to gain SB. You gain SB faster when hitting a weakness.

There are a handful of record materia you should be using that provides either a 2 SB blocks (i.e. enough to cast a BSB or USB) or that allows the SB meter to grow faster. Go to the Soul Break section of this reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6abz3d/musthave_record_materia_2017_edition/

13. Yaridovich

Medals:
    You can also use Enlir's FFRK Data base to check, well, pretty much everything except event dates.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vC3q2gFLch6LQ/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=938172420

And as explained above by Exodus, infusing with an element (which we also call EnElement or Attach Element) is something that considerably increases damage output for that element while also reducing incoming damage for that same element. You'll mostly use it to increase the character's damage and, currently, there are ways to stack EnElements (mostly using Glints), up to 3 times. Stacking EnElements will of course further increase the damage bonus/reduction for that character.
    But in a general sense, one stack is usually good enough.

As an example, Agrias USB gives her EnHoly and Knight +15%. Both of those effects have a duration (EnElement lasts for 25s, not sure about the Knight +15%. Effects like Ability boost, EnElement, EX Modes and such have fixed durations that is either 15s or 25s but I'm not entirely sure for all of them. I know that Burst Mode lasts for 15s). If you're using Agrias with Holy abilities like Assault Saber or Guardbringer, her USB will greatly increase the damage for those abilities because of the EnHoly and the Knight +15% boost. And in a general sense, when the duration for those effects wears off, you should probably be already recasting the USB anyway.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  14. Yaridovich

Medals:
  15. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

Ya'll may have just blown my mind with something. Lifesyphon is out of favor? Do you stick to Lifesyphon for bosses not weak to it, or is there another alternative? Looking at the PDF it still seems lifesyphon is king for generating the gauge at 150 points out of 500 based on the breakdown.

16. Yaridovich

Medals:
    Lifesiphon causes NE damage so there are no bosses that are weak to it.

Previously, before a large update (don't remember when, but I think it was a little after 3* Magicites were released), Lifesiphon and Wrath used to be very useful since they were our usual go-to way of generating SB gauge.

Now, however, other abilities are generating considerably more SB gauge (mostly when hitting elemental weakness). Sure, LS and Wrath still generate more, but LS is still a single-hit NE ability. For each turn spent using LS, you could be using 5*/6* abilities that are hitting 3x, 4x or more on weakness, which deals FAR more damage than LS. By the time you have enough gauge to use a SB, you could have already finished the boss off.

Since the release of Magicites, we've been in a speed-based meta, as optimal results for beating Magicites is to defeat them in under 30s. If you spend time using LS/Wrath to generate gauge, you'll end up taking way too long and probably won't be able to sub30. In a general sense, if you absolutely need to generate gauge, you'll probably want an entruster for that. A full LD Shelke (which is recommended, even if you don't have any SBs for her) is perfect for the role.

Again, if you're lacking hones, you may still use LS/Wrath to use BSBs which will then grant you the damage you need, but once you start doing the harder content, you'll probably want to focus on 5*/6* abilities.

17. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

I see that Shelke has the same thing as Cid with the haste and three no-delay attack uses for full dive, but what specifically is her benefit in this case that makes her a must have for entrusting? I've actually never used entrust, but I get that it's the ability to give the gauge of one character to another. What's the technique that makes her desirable, is it just that she's there a an entrusting engine and does little else so damage dealers can spam?

18. Yaridovich

Medals:
    Shelke can use Support 5 abilities, which is amazing combined with her IC3+Haste. You can equip her with Mako Might and instantly give another character a SB bar from the start (and then equip that character with a different RM like TGM) and use the other 2 turns to insta-wrath, or equip her with Ace Striker and use her 3 turns accordingly. It's super useful for any entrusting purposes.

19. Roche

Roche White Knight Mod Staff Member Moderator TOTS Warrior Onion Knight Master

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    @Gaelstrom so how did it go? still need more help? I could offer some advice in case @Yaridovich hadn't covered it already.

20. Gaelstrom

Gaelstrom New Member

It's been interesting re-assessing what I should be doing. I have 250 mythril saving up for the upcoming anniversay batches, and was considering going for Tyro's Divine Veil Grimoire as a replacement for Relm and making him a secondary healer with the dance ability to raise attack a moderate amount so I can use that as well as Ramza's Shout to raise a large amount to get the best of both worlds. That sacrifices Last Stand, but also gives Y'shtola access to a potential Breakdown ability or alternative to use to debuff as well. The Dedia ability allowing the ability to lower Holy defense is interesting to not require Agrias's BSB, so considering its worth a bit more.

I've also been steadily leveling everyone to 80 every sunday, and breaking whomever needs it basically as I get anything for them. Otherwise I'm trying to figure out an effective means of going for 5* and 6* abilities.

I've been seeing people saying most 6* abilities are kinda terrible and not really worth it, is there a place that goes over which 5* and 6* abilities are worth the time? I have Assault Saber and Dread Weapon leveled to 8 and 6 respectively. And it's increasingly looking like I'm going to have to be investing in duplicates of them. I also have Guardbreaker at 6, and then the Quadstrikes at 4, including Snowspell Strike. The amount of power crystals necessary is ridiculous.