Lord of the Sky 2021! [Board Challenge; Reward 30$ Gift Card; Deadline 11:59 July 26 Hawaii Time]

Discussion in 'Forum Events' started by Kantolin, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Kantolin

Kantolin Airborne Mod Staff Member Moderator Forum Advocate Dragoon Master

(~This board challenge is now closed~)
    [​IMG]
    (Image credit is xnaxox from deviant art. I absolutely did not make this, go appreciate him it's awesome)

Kantolin here - and there's a new Freya Event, and that means time for another Board Challenge! [​IMG]

Realistically, this is much more of a raffle than a 'challenge', haha - it's not terribly difficult. :p But I will call it a challenge anyway since that sounds better, and hopefully people have fun throwing in a team they wouldn't normally utilize! Winner gets a 30$ Itunes or Google Play gift card. ^_^

This one is then a bit trickier than the usual since Freya's stuff is showing up with labyrinth, and not as part of a dedicated event this time... so the rules are a /little/ different. Same fundamentals, though!

To enter, you need to beat one of the accepted battles with a full team of dragoons! Each dragoon must have at least one dragoon skill equipped to them as you enter the battle (Whether you actually use it or not is up to you).

At the ending time, I'll be taking numbers for everyone who succeeded at this task, and one of them will be the lucky one to get the 30$ card! I'll private message you the appropriate number shortly thereafter once I am informed which of the two you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Requirements and Rules:

- Entries must be posted by 11:59pm, on July 26th, Hawaii time. You'll have to google that to fit your time zone but nyeh, it's easier for me to use that time zone. I hope to get the appropriate gift card to the winner by the next day. I'll assign all the victors numbers (Don't number yourselves; I'll do that) and then will roll a dice (or use a dice roller or something, but probably roll a dice).

- Your account must be at least a month old (So created on or before June 16th). This rule is mostly to prevent people from making duplicate accounts or stuff, haha, c'mon guys this is me trying to do something fun, don't manipulate this. :p If you have an alternate account already just enter once, yadda. If you're legitimately new come poke me or poke in chat or something, I'm not trying to actually block newbies.

- The rewards from the card must be used on FF:RK in some way. You can use them for 100gems, you can use them on a banner, whatever. If you do use them on a banner, post your gains from them! :D

- At least five people need to participate, or there is sadly no contest.

- Dragoons, thus your team for the purpose of this 'challenge': Tyro, Core Dragoon, Wol, Ricard, Luneth, Kain, Gilgamesh, Mog, Cid(VII), Ward, Freya, Kimahri, Fang, Noel, Estinien, Noctis, Aranea, Nine, Ardyn, Wrieg. You may not have anyone who is not in the previous list in your party (So you can't do it with four dragoons and Loser. No Losers.)

- Dragoon skills include:
    2*: Jump
    3*: Lightning Jump, Ice Jump, Wind Jump
    4*: Leeching Leap, Soaring Jump, Blood of the Wyvern
    5*: Sky Grinder, Dragoon Jump, Lightning Dive, Aerial Dive, Cyclone Bolt, Aqua Corkscrew
    6*: Sky High, Serpent Dive, Dark Side Dive, Impulse Dive, Hurricane Bolt
    Hero Abilities for: Ricard, Luneth, Kain, Ward, Freya, Kimahri, Fang, Estinien, Aranea, Nine

Wow, since last time a lot jumped in here! Last event didn't have water dragoons at all, haha, nor hero abilities.

- If you'd like to, you can use fewer than five party members (Provided everyone you bring is a dragoon from the above list. No Losers). So feel free to solo it with core dragoon if you think you can swing it. :p

- Accepted Battles: Any that are Ultimate level or higher, which means 140 difficulty or higher. Since there's no real set /event/ with this one it's a lot trickier than normal, haha, but using the current FF15 event, you could do either Ultimate or the Apocalypse, or you could do most of the soggy magicite event, or Type-0's 'The Fists Remember' at either Ultimate. Really, wherever you find a 140 difficulty fight or higher it's /probably/ okay - and if you're unsure, check in first!

Most of the mid-to-high Labyrinth battles are also acceptable, as that's technically what this event is for... but um, that locks you into using dragoons for the /entire/ labyrinth, and that's rough since dragoons are lousy at autobattling haha.

- To emphasize: You only have to defeat /one/ accepted battle. Feel free to do multiples while you're enjoying yourself, of course! But the only requirement is to clear at least one. :D

- - If your account is sufficiently new, I will tolerate having up to three dragoons with blank slots instead of dragoon skills. This rule is really just meant for new players who might not have any skills at all yet; don't abuse this, vets, you guys can go create five 2* jumps. ;)

- I need a screenshot of the camp screen and then a screenshot of your dragoon team with the enemy having no lifebar (or dragoons victory dancing). Try to catch the bad guy while they're still fading out. (Or use a video, I suppose, haha)

- You don't need to master, just complete the stage. Feel free to go master it first with your A-team and attempt this 'challenge' afterwards.

- Fun is absolutely mandatory

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Felix and Roche like this.
  2. Kantolin

Tips for Newer Players:
    Newer players can totally succeed at this one!

- In general, a strong soulbreak as your roaming warrior, mixed with a Historia Crystal (preferably at level 80/99!) will likely help you cover for things and do most of its damage itself. Try to find which one of the accepted bosses has a weakness to a popular and strong RW choice.

- Tyro or Mog can be your healers if you're lacking in Leeching Leaps, as both have white 5. You can also use the other for protectga or shellga.

- If you act quickly, Noctis and Aranea are available in the FF15 event to help fill out some slots! Touching the realm dungeons gets you Kain. We've then got a FF13 event showing up on the 22nd, but I don't /think/ Fang is in it sadly. Still, those three plus Tyro makes at least four dragoons!

- Type-0's 'Hulking Magicite' ultimate fight is weak to lightning, which may help team dragoon out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dragoons!

The list again: Tyro, Core Dragoon, Wol, Ricard, Luneth, Kain, Gilgamesh, Mog, Cid(VII), Ward, Freya, Kimahri, Fang, Noel, Estinien, Noctis, Aranea, Nine, Ardyn, Wrieg.

First things first! Here are a list of dragoons with unusual options that may help. I am intentionally leaving out things like celerity or combat, although both could come up if you want to tempo flurry out slow against something weak to it, haha.

Tyro: Can do everything! Wow! (Except wield your keyblades)
    Core Dragoon: Looks just that awesome.
    Wol (Dragoon 4 dive, Support 4, Monk 4, Thief 4 (5 with dive), Samurai 4, Sharpshooter 5)
    Ricard (Knight 4 dive)
    Luneth (Support 4 dive, Spellblade 4 (5 with dive), Darkness 4(5 with Dive))
    Gilgamesh (Dragoon 5 dive, Knight 5, Samurai 5)
    Mog (Dragoon 5 dive, Black 3, White 5, Dancer 5)
    Cid7 (Machinist 5)
    Ward (Knight 4 dive, Heavy Physical)
    Freya(Support 4, Dance 5)
    Kimahri(Black 3, Support 4 dive)
    Estinien (Darkness 5)
    Noctis(Machinist 4, Black 3)
    Aranea (Darkness 5)
    Nine (Black 3, White 3)
    Noel (Sharpshooter 5, Thief 5 dive, White 4)
    Ardyn (Samurai 5, Darkness 5, Heavy Physical, Machinist 4)
    Wrieg (Knight 5, Heavy Physical)

Support Dragoons: Tyro, Mog(Dance), and Freya(Dance) can carry whatever full breaks you need! There are then several support 4 options, including Wol, Freya if you'd rather that than dance, and then diving Kimahri or Luneth. Wol and Noel also have thief 4/5 for Steal Power/Defense, which can simultaneously help with self buffing amidst the mitigation.

Healer Dragoons: It's basically Tyro or Mog here. The other can help with proshellga if appropriate and if not RWing it.

White Dragoons: Noel and Nine also /have/ white magic to some level. Noel can help with proshellga as appropriate, and either can equip a +Mind artifact and play healer, haha. Freya's dancer access might also help you heal. It feels weird typing 'White Dragoon' and not including Kain.

Caster Dragoons: Sometimes status effects work on enemies like this, and thus the Black 3 of Kimahri, Mog, Noctis, or Nine may come up! In addition, remember that Estinien, Ardyn, and Aranea (and a dived Luneth) can use 5* Darkness magic abilities, if you have an appropriate artifact for them. Remember you can always RW a mage BSB or something too! Several dragoons have a lot of physical equipment they can use that you might have a mage version of (Wol and Gilgamesh), but insofar as caster weapons:
    ...Gilgamesh can use Rods
    ...Mog can use Rods, Staves, and Instruments
    ...Ward can use Thrown
    ...Noctis can use Thrown and Guns
    ...Ardyn can use Thrown, Guns, and Staves

Tyro can use anything including proper black magic and throwing around Mertons or Tritoches or whatever you want from him. And of course, with artifact daggers, anyone can suddenly get +300 mag and +element, haha.

Self-Buffs: If you want to RW something defensive or are doing a weird mage thing or something, remember that some dragoons can self-buff themselves! Namely Wol (Monk, Thief, or Samurai), Luneth (Darkness), Gilgamesh (Samurai), Noel (Thief), Estinien (Darkness), Ardyn (Darkness, Samurai), and Aranea (Darkness). Throwing out a Death Throes, Dark Bargain, Mirror of Equity, Hailstorm, Punishing Palm, Chakra, or Steal Power might make all the difference in powering up your jump skill of choice.

Then a few knights can dispel, a few machinists can throw around status, and Ward's heavy physical's weird element may come up, haha. Don't forget that Black and White 3 and 4 come with useful status effect options!

If you're considering honing up a dragoon skill, a useful one on the 4* end is leeching leap - this can help take some pressure of your healer while still contributing damage. Do note that in the modern metagame, basically all non-5*-6* skills aren't going to be of much value, but orbs are also a lot less valuable now than they were so it's quick to make skills then shatter them afterwards.

Sky High has a non-elemental component, which may become impactful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Extra Points:

Doing these things will get you extra points! Extra points don't do anything. :p They are /just/ for entertainment value, haha.

- Beat more than one of the accepted battles with team dragoon! :D

- Using Freya, Ricard, or Core Dragoon gets you extra points. It is Freya's event! Then people apparently still don't like Ricard (He's not bad now, honestly, with his burst), and I feel bad for core dragoon. :p Pointz!

- A challenge to the board in its entirety: Last two times, every dragoon was represented at least once! We've got a few more names here now too - can we still pull that off?! :D Go for three?!

Good luck, everyone! Fun is mandatory.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Felix and Roche like this.
  3. Kantolin

~ Dragon knights, Inscribed in the Halls of Burmecia ~

1 - Felix
    2 - Joshua
    3 - Matt D
    4 - Roche
    5 - Exile
    6 - Jan
    7 - Cactus

(People who have completed the challenge will be placed here ^_^ )

~~~~~~~~~

Dragoons Remaining to be used: None! All were used! :D

Dragoons Utilized: Freya, Ricard, Core Dragoon, Tyro, Luneth, Kain, Gilgamesh, Cid7, Ward, Kimahri, Fang, Noel, Estinien, Aranea, Noctis, Nine, Ardyn, Mog, Wol, Wrieg

Update 1: Wow! Doing a full labyrinth knocked out a big chunk at once! A little surprising that Mog remained unused, haha.
    Update 2: Just Wol and Wrieg left!
    Update 3: And there we go! :D All dragoons were utilized!

Good luck, Dragoons! [​IMG]

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/e9ODJcv

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Matt D, Felix and Roche like this.
  4. Felix

Felix Salt Mountain Spreadsheet Warrior

Friend Code:
    9BVy
    Heya Kanto, I missed doing silly things like this. Glad it was advertised on Discord.

I also took your "extra points" to the extreme.

Screenshot_20210720-082111_FFRK.jpg

Went to the d180 of the T0 event.

Screenshot_20210720-082216_FFRK.jpg

Ricard looking bad-ass kill shot.

Thought that was too easy. So.

Screenshot_20210720-082626_FFRK.jpg

4* magicite dead.

I did fully 6* dive Freya just for this. No regrets :p

Freya: AASB
    Ricard: AASB
    Core: Awesome job at casting magicite/wall.

Matt D, joshua, Roche and 1 other person like this.
  5. joshua

joshua Absolute Warlord

Here is my full 15-dragoon team running a d220 labyrinth corridor. I used the hero outfit system to quickly change rms, a few equipment pieces, and a couple abilities. I got screenshots of each team winning a battle, but they all beat multiple battles. Ardyn and Noctis were the only rebels who used non-dragoon abilities in slot 1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt D, Roche, Felix and 1 other person like this.
  6. Matt D

Matt D Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    I gave this a go last night.

Lvl 400 Garuda., so I had one SB bar ready. Ricard, Kain, Freya, and Fang all have AASBs. Fang has her HA. I should have used her chain for the ATK+MAG+Haste to start but I didn't. Everyone's at various levels of being dived.

Even with Mog, AASB2, and Heroic Harmony (he had Aerial Dive equipped but I didn't get to use it), I knew it would be a race against time. I went with a 120 HC instead of a magicite deck because of the multi-element. For one thing, I didn't have a Haste! Garuda at Lv 400 hits pretty hard. Freya went down quick, which is a shame because I had a least some of her HE and haven't had a lot of chance to use her. I had Ricard using his AASB to keep everyone's hang-time low as best as I could. And even then, it was a lot of just barely not dying and hoping for Mog Procs (I got lucky there).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roche, joshua and Kantolin like this.
  7. Roche

Roche "Not that Biker SOLDIER" Mod-Keeper Staff Member Moderator TOTS Warrior Onion Knight Master

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Awww... @Matt D beat me to it as first to post a Garuda (Infernal) fight. I equipped Odin for the passives, but didn't use him for preference over more DPS action from the dragoon team.

Winning shot (Tyro, Freya and Nine were still in the air)
    [​IMG]

I had plenty of fun making this quick video still!
    A fully awoken windy Dragoon team, feat. Tyro Wall.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Exi1e, Matt D, joshua and 1 other person like this.
  8. Exi1e

Exi1e New Member

Saw Roche post this on a discord server that we share. Recorded my submission here for D400 Garuda. Longtime player but new to this site and just made my account to post this.

Kantolin, Matt D and Roche like this.
  9. Exi1e

Exi1e New Member

[​IMG]

Trying to include the imgur link for my team camp setup but site isn't letting me, maybe due to being a new account? Keep getting messages about spam content.

Edit: Can someone explain why the IMG embed won't work for me? Is the camp screenshot still necessary if I have the video run?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Roche and Kantolin like this.
  10. Jan

Jan :chocobo: Admin Staff Member Administrator

Friend Code:
    9k2f
    Full Legend Characters:
    I actually did it twice because I didn't see that you people hadn't used the dead weight that is Wol or Wreig.

http://imgur.com/a/KvknJ3T
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was truth of the purge, d220, from the ff13 event.

11. Kantolin

Woohoo! About 13 hours left! :D

You're linking to a gallery, not an image is why. You have to select the image itself - your link has to end in .jpeg (or .jpg or .png or .gif or 'some image file', haha).

RIP Kimahri, haha. ^_^ Cool victory! Hey there were no casualties Garuda didn't kill anybody!

Woohoo, and that clears all the dragoons! No 'goon left behind! :D

Same problem with your links, Jan - you linked to a gallery, not an individual picture. Need it to end in .jpeg or sommat!

Thanks for the participation, everyone! :D

Exi1e and Matt D like this.
  12. Exi1e

Exi1e New Member

Ah, now I see. Will look to fix that in the future! Figured it would be fun to use Kimahri AOSB lol

13. Kantolin

I... I didn't respond to anyone before this?! o_O What the.

Core Dragoon /is/ awesome at that job!

Way to rock the extra points indeed! :D

Wow! :D Talk about an impressive feat! Way to go, haha!

No healing in a big fight is rough indeed! Garuda is a thematically great fit for this challenge, though! Congratulations on getting it done! :D

Very impressive clear! Garuda died really quickly there, haha, that's some firepower!

Thank you and good luck to those who've hopped in! :D

Roche likes this.
  14. cactusJed

cactusJed Absolute Warlord I am a Cactus

Friend Code:
    XRef
    Full Legend Characters:
    I took on the secret hunt d260. I'd not actually beaten this mote offering yet, so, surprise mythril!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Kantolin

Well, I didn't roll an 8 (upon which I'd have had to reroll haha), so!

Here's the roll! https://i.imgur.com/s7OFSEK.mp4

That's a 6! :D

Looks like Jan is the new Lord of the Sky! Maybe Wol or Wrieg were helping him out? Or more likely it's just RNG, haha.

Thank you everyone for participating! :D Hopefully you had a good time taking some dragoons out for a spin!

[​IMG]

Congratulations to our new Lord of the Sky!

Matt D, cactusJed, Jan and 2 others like this.
  16. Exi1e

Exi1e New Member

GGs and congrats Jan

17. Jan

Jan :chocobo: Admin Staff Member Administrator

Friend Code:
    9k2f
    Full Legend Characters:
    Thank you everyone. I would like to give a shout-out to Wol and Wreig, true mvps of the ffrk roster.

But seriously, thanks to @Kantolin for the contest. It's a lot of fun.

Roche, Matt D, Kantolin and 1 other person like this.