Magicite sub-30 tips and advice

Discussion in 'Guides' started by OhCanada, Dec 5, 2017.

1. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member

Medals:
    Below, I'm building a guide to help people push their way into sub-30 magicites. I'm was one of the many players who could beat the magicite in under a minute, but wasn't terribly close to something fancy like sub-30. With a few tips from others and leaving my defensive comfort zone I found that sub-30 is very possible with the right builds. Below I'm building a working list of such strategies and what relics/abilities they require. Since I'm no expert, I want to ask those of you speed running pros, what tips do you have to push people over the edge? What else?

General tips:
    A good rough team comp is 2 DPS, 1 healer, 1 battery, and either an imperil/chain user or another battery if the DPS don't have quick SB building potential (wrath/LS).

Many sub-30 runs use Fabula Raider with prot/shellga and no SG, especially with Fabula Raider cast by someone with either quick cast from the start (Shelke) or someone with TG Cid's final RM.

Ninja skills combined with either Edge or Shadow's LD can do a lot of damage. For example, on Edge geared for magic, fire/wind will hit 2x9999 every turn (quick casts because of ninja) and sometimes dual cast. With dark/water ninja combos you can potentially do even more.

Instant casts are also worth their weight in gold. No cast time means you can get out roughly 50% more abilities, and sometimes can be chained to skip long SB casts.

Perhaps one of the single most useful things to have in your team are characters who can dual-cast, particularly from LMs. This means double damage in a single turn and can speed up the setup time for combos like dark/water ninja abilities or Squall BSB2.

It should be noted, that magicite have an 80% resistance to debuffs, so much so that it's a waste to bring support abilities outside of wrath/entrust.

Element+ gear is really key wherever you can get it.

Bismarck:
    Lightning USB+BSB2/OSB

Liquid Flame:
    Tidus USB, Bartz USB make this much faster. Cloud USB also makes it possible.

Sea Lion:
    Terra USB+OSB

Fenrir:
    Squall BSB2 is a godsend here, but because of long setup time it can't win it for you alone. Due to the phys blink, Edea relics are quite strong here. I hit the cap quite easily with Ayane OSB. For Squall BSB2 you'll need to cast his BSB2 by turn 3-4 at latest in order to use it all before 30 seconds, assuming you took a dual cast RM. You will want to cast Wendigu as fast as you can since he'll both rehaste characters who get slowed, and sometime attack Fenrir while blinked. First priority is getting your attackers combos buffed and started.

The first blink comes on turn 3, I find it good to either Hailstorm to get rid of the blink (since you still get the ATK buff if it misses) or have a battery attack (keep in mind that the attack command is faster than abilities/SBs so it can come out quicker if picked in quick succession). Squall's CMD1 is also a good choice to get rid of Fenrir's blink as it still builds the combo and is low damaging anyways.

Golem:
    Alph BSB and Fujin BSB really shine here because of quick/ninja cast. Golem wastes a lot of the middle rounds buffing his own defense, so the damage accumulated isn't too bad. With a faithga/meltdown user, two magic wind DPS, a ninja using wind abilities (geared for MAG), and a healer, it's pretty easy and repeatable to go sub-30.

Hydra:
    Maria BSB

Mist Dragon:
    The mist mechanic can be skipped by bringing Mist Dragon under 80% health by its turn 6. That means ~108,900 damage before turn 6.

Memento Mori+Dark Zone caps pretty easily and with TG Cid's final RM you can push out 6 casts of DZ in about 20 secs.

Shadow Dragon:
    Shadow Dragon is all about skipping mechanics. If you can get him under 81% health in the first 10.5 seconds, when black fang would normally happen, you can skip it. Your goal is to do 114,300 damage or more in that time. You will likely need TG Cid OSB and Raines BSB. For more info and math

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 11:58 PM
    xTeKt0n1c likes this.
  2. Roche

Roche July 2017 VIP

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    For Bismarck, Lightning USB is the key. I managed to consistently achieve sub30 (26~29s) to reap my MSO benefits.

For Liquid Flame, though generally very RNG reliant, Cloud Ultra Retaliate could occasionally achieve sub30. But really, sub30 water SBs like Bartz USB and Tidus water god might be more reliable.

Whiteadder likes this.
  3. OhCanada

Medals:
    Since this is in the guide section, I'll update the main post with everyone's advice as it comes.

Roche likes this.
  4. tajid

tajid Absolute Warlord

I have Lightning USB but not BSB/OSB, is that even possible? Have Ashe's BSB/OSB but kept failing getting under 30s

5. Roche

Roche July 2017 VIP

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    I happened to have both Lightning USB and BSB2. My ability rotation definitely had both USB, BSB2 and Thundering Quadstrike in it. So I'll need to playtest with USB only and see if I can achieve sub30. I also have Lightning OSB, but I never used it in the Bismarck fight.

Unfortunately, I've no Ashe BSB. So I'll not be able to confirm this.

6. talsa88

talsa88 Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    gYeG
    Terra with USB/OSB combo can almost singlehandedly own Sealion, but you might want to fully dive her. I've found that the formula tends to be 2 main DPS, a chain/imperil bot, and, depending on how many of your DPS can self-build SB, 1-2 wrath/entrust batteries. Last stand and instacast also make all the difference.

7. OhCanada

Medals:
    If you need a second battery, what do you drop? The imperil or the 2nd DPS?

8. talsa88

talsa88 Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    gYeG
    imperil for sure

OhCanada likes this.
  9. OhCanada

Medals:
    Where do boosters fit in that formula? Assuming you take SG as the RW

10. talsa88

talsa88 Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    gYeG
    One of my wrathers usually has a boost. In my case, it's often Ramza USB for the instacast, but other boosts can work too, especially given the context of the battle. Quickcast boosts can be great, also. Bear in mind, too, that sometimes you can just bring the Raider RW instead of wall. The point of sub30 is to kill the damn thing as fast as possible, so with a few exceptions (Bismarck, maybe a couple others), damage mitigation isn't the main issue, especially depending on your healer.

11. Roche

Roche July 2017 VIP

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    For the above, I don't think Lightning's OSB helps. Her USB is the main driver, and is complemented by imperil debuffs from her BSB2 and Magicite Summon Hydra. Ensure that Lightning is also equipped with native +lightning element in both weapon and armor slots for good measure.

I'll throw into the ring for Mist Dragon and Shadow Dragon the obvious candidate: Cid Raines BSB. His OSB is also a plus. +Holy/Dark weapon and armor are obvious checks too.

For Mist Dragon alone, TGCid OSB still holds his own very well, and appears quite often in team setups for sub30 fights too.

For Fenrir, Squall BSB2 appears designed to slay it. But I hadn't confirmed if he is a default inclusion into sub30 teams.

12. OhCanada

Medals:
    So especially for these two, what else is needed in such a team to go sub-30? I have both relics but am not particularly close to sub-30ing either.

13. Kenlimkenlim

Kenlimkenlim Official RKF Stat Lord

Friend Code:
    97yP
    For mist and shadow dragons, you need very fast damage to bypass their gimmicks to get to sub-30 more consistently.

For mist dragon, my own setup was three dark mages with one faithga/battery (OK) and healer. Nothing too complicated, just a DPS race to bypass mist form.

For shadow dragon, you will likely need to bypass Black Fang or bring a revive to get sub-30. Although with enough DPS, you might be able to get by with four-man team.

This is the setup I based mine on, relying on Cid Raines BSB, TG Cid OSB, and 2x Holy from healer to bypass Black Fang.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...adow_dragons_fang_is/?st=JAVWLQAF&sh=ff06005a

14. OhCanada

Medals:
    You mentioned mist dragon too, is it the same mechanic/time? I'm guessing a certain amount of damage before he disappears skips it?

15. Jamie

Jamie Absolute Warlord

Honestly this is all about simply having the correct Soul Breaks, memorizing attack order, being fast and knowing what you are going to do before your turn.

My most used characters:
    Y'sh - 7 times w/ BSB [full dive]
    Ramza: 4 times w/ shout
    Tyro - 4 times w/ Wall
    Bartz - 3 times w/ USB [full dive]
    Edward: 2 times w/ Song of Swiftness Unique
    Cid Rains - 2 times w/ BSB/OSB [full dive]

Soul Breaks Used:
    TGCid: OSB [+Holy Weapon/Armor]
    Cid Rains: BSB/OSB [full dive] [+Holy Weapon/Armor]
    Tyro: Wall
    OK: N/A
    Y'sh: BSB [full dive] [+Holy Weapon/Armor]
    Holy.png
    Soul Breaks Used:
    Squall: BSB2 [full dive]
    Ayame: OSB [+Ice armor]
    Tyro: N/A
    Ramza: Shout
    Y'sht: BSB [full dive]
    Ice.png
    Soul Breaks Used:
    Maria: BSB
    Rinoa: OSB [+Earth Armor]
    Gordon: Kashuan's Resolve
    Edward: Song of Swiftness
    Garnet: Enveloping Warmth
    Earth.png
    Soul Breaks Used:
    Bartz: USB [full dive] [+Water Armor]
    Tidus: USB [full dive] [+Water Weapon/Armor]
    Tyro: N/A
    Y'sh: BSB [full dive]
    Water.png
    Soul Breaks Used:
    Bartz: USB [full dive] [+Wind Weapon/Armor]
    Zidane: USB [full dive] [+Wind Weapon/Armor]
    Lion: BSB [+Wind Armor]
    Wind.png
    Soul Breaks Used:
    Yda: BSB [+Fire Weapon/Armor]
    Bartz: USB [full dive] [+Fire Armor]
    Thancred: BSB
    Fire.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MoERyuAAkk
    Soul Breaks Used:
    Shantotto: USB [+Lightning Armor]
    Ashe: BSB/OSB
    Rapha: BSB
    Edward: Song of Swiftness
    lightning.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFZypekAKAs
    Soul Breaks Used:
    Cid Rains: BSB/OSB [full dive]
    ExDeath: BSB
    Tyro: Wall
    OK: N/A
    Dark.png
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=RF1dvi1EMh4

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    tajid and xTeKt0n1c like this.
  16. Kenlimkenlim

Kenlimkenlim Official RKF Stat Lord

Friend Code:
    97yP
    The mechanic is different. Shadow Dragon uses Black Fang at 10.4s. Mist Dragon’s Mist Form is turn based. If you’re too slow, you’ll see it on his sixth/eighth/tenth turn. Depends on how much damage you deal.

17. Roche

Roche July 2017 VIP

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Hey @Jamie !
    Could u also replicate your setups with RMs and LMs too? Also note if your DPS has both +element weapon and armors, as well as suggested accessories for either max DPS or survival. Thanks!

OhCanada likes this.
  18. Jamie

Jamie Absolute Warlord

I will take a screenshot of team comp later and add it when I have more time.

Roche and OhCanada like this.
  19. OhCanada

Medals:
    This brings up a good point, I've always used resist element accessories but are other people using stat boosting stuff?

20. Jamie

Jamie Absolute Warlord

My sub 30 runs use A LOT of +elemental armor/weapons and I don't even look for resist.