Most hated FF protagonist

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OhCanada, Apr 17, 2018.

1. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member "Not Actually Canadian"

Medals:
    Who's your most hated FF protagonist and why? (note: just for their presence in the real games, not FFRK)

For me it would have to be Hope. I pretty much hoped he would die in some capacity for the entirety of FFXIII. For most of the game he was such a brooding waste of space. He did get a bit of a redemption in XIII-2 and XIII-3, although they were really weird changes and I feel like they only chose Hope for those roles because everyone else had something more important to do.

Runner up: Prompto, for being such an annoying tag along.

xTeKt0n1c and Cloudedstrife like this.
  2. Wolf

Wolf Right Hand Administrator Supremacy Realm: Tactics Forum Advocate

Friend Code:
    GwPG
    Full Legend Character:
    Ramza / Yuffie / Orlandeau / Onion Knight / Luneth / Squall / Galuf / Tyro / Mog / Faris / Cloud / Eiko / Y' shtola
    I'm sorry but, that idiot with the chocobo in his hair.
    As a black man , I put up with a huge amount of stereo types but that was
    just the limit for me. I understand the way they tried to play it, his son and all, liked it,
    but, really.

If not for the music, I may not have finished the game.​

Roche and Cloudedstrife like this.
  3. Cloudedstrife

Cloudedstrife Bro Mod(e): Activate! Multiple Forum Staff

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    VsdP
    I have to agree with you 100% on this one. Hope is easily my most hated. Pretty much the entire FF13 cast if I'm honest. I didn't mind Lightning, but the rest were just a bunch of morons.

Funny that Wolf hates Sazh. If I had to pick one FF13 character that I liked the best, it's him! =P That's not saying much tho.

4. Wesker

Wesker FFRK JPN Head-Mod Staff Member Moderator JP Moderator

Friend Code:
    Qnoi (SG)
    Full Legend Character:
    Zack, Edea, Ramza, Terra...
  5. Moridraug

Moridraug Absolute Warlord

For me it'd be your bitchy neighbor Whatever Man. Really, Squall tried to be cool and edgy, but always ended up being just an asshole. Yes, I still hate him for how he treated Quistis.

6. Wesker

Friend Code:
    Qnoi (SG)
    Full Legend Character:
    Squall passed from a lot. He just dont want to tell people what to do or people to do the same with him and thats all explained. Vaan is just...Blank. All the history is about Ashelia, Balthier and the others. He's just...There.

7. Starkiller

Starkiller Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Squall is easily my most hated FF protagonist. EASILY. He's an emo-douche and a good chunk of his supporting cast were annoying pricks. When I fought Ultimecia and she erased their existence I was like....YES THANK YOU! ERASE SQUALL FROM EXISTENCE! HE SUCKS! Send Zell along too the loser! Then I just rolled around to Irvine and used his limit break or whatever to murder her so I could finish the game. I hated that game overall too. Game design was terrible. I couldn't use my magic because it powered my stats. Want to use ultima? Oh time to go farm it. Want to use a summon at full potential? Gotta make friends with it! Do you like secrets? Good because half the content is a secret! *hurl* Garbage. If FF9 didn't absolutely redeem the franchise, I would've dropped it entirely.

I also agree that Hope is bleh. He's much better in FF13-2 and 3 (tho some spoilers for 3 so I won't say anything). He's another whiny man-baby, but I never considered him a protagonist, just a supporting turd. Protagonists would be Lightning, Snow and perhaps Fang. Rest were just there to be there (in FF13). FF13-2 however is one of the best FF experiences I've had in a very long time.

8. Moridraug

Moridraug Absolute Warlord

Go talk to a wall.

9. Wesker

Friend Code:
    Qnoi (SG)
    Full Legend Character:
    Quistis: "I dont want you to tell me anything, I just want you to listen"

Squall: "So go talk to a wall"

10. OhCanada

Medals:
    That surprises me, but I understand why the stereotypes could have gotten to you. Sazh was my favorite because of his kind personality. Him and Vanille were the only two who didn't blow up at others, and the events leading to his Eidolon manifesting were my most memorable moments of the game.

But why??

I'll admit, I rebought the game for PS3 but I've been dreading starting it because of the mechanics. I hate the disincentive to level and explore.

11. Wesker

Friend Code:
    Qnoi (SG)
    Full Legend Character:
    How many reasons you want? Vaan is empty. Blank. He's just the "op main character" there is NOTHING about him in the story at all. He's just there...

12. OhCanada

Medals:
    I'm defining protagonist as anyone in the main cast for this post. Although Lightning is the poster girl for XIII, the game doesn't have a singular protagonist. There are tons of points in the game where Lightning is unplayable. I think XIII and VI (haven't played it yet) are the only games with indiscernible "main" characters.

13. Starkiller

Medals:
    Yeah, but FF6 is filled with an amazing cast that has a shocking amount of depth. Easily the best use of a large cast of characters in an FF game ever.

14. Aeveras

Aeveras Member

Tidus was the worst for me. I couldn't relate to him at all and he struck me as really whiny.

Also this:

15. Starkiller

Medals:
    Lol there were specific scenes like that one that were cringe-worthy, but overall FFX was good IMO.

16. Aeveras

Aeveras Member

Don't get me wrong, I think FFX is a decent game. It's far from my favorite, but it's also far from my most disliked. There are a bunch of elements I really enjoyed like the combat system and the music.

I just couldn't stand Tidus.

17. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c The Art of Lazy Mod! Staff Member Moderator Multiple Forum Staff Forum Advocate

Medals:
    Every single möbius character can go die in a ditch somewhere. Palim and Porom drive me nutz. Please kill all of the moogles and Chocobos. Unrelentless destruction please. What the fuck is every single character minus maybe Balthier and the judges from XII onwards. Oh and screw shancrappo and company too... what a bunch of characterless knobs! What a shit series.

:Fire Black Mage:

Tek out

18. OhCanada

Medals:
    [​IMG]

19. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c The Art of Lazy Mod! Staff Member Moderator Multiple Forum Staff Forum Advocate

Medals:
    I wish an overkill to this specimen especially!