Relic Banner: "The Onion Knight Rises" event (Onion Knight) (10th - 28th Jan 2018)

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Events' started by Vetheran, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Vetheran

Vetheran Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    [​IMG]
    Only one set here, but the draw is available for more than two weeks, and running parallel with Water Pickup Banner.

- Onion Blade (III) (Onion Knight's Sword): Burning Steel - Grants Party Hastega, ATK +50% and Critical Chance +50%, and Enter EX: Ninja (ATK+30%; untyped cast speed x1.3 + buildup (all non-Defend actions; +0.3 -> 3.4))
    - Mace of Zeus (III) (Onion Knight's Staff): Forbidden Wisdom - Party MAG/MND/RES +30%, Allegro Con Moto, Hastega, and Enter EX: Sage (MAG+30%; BLK+15%)
    - Metal Knuckles (III) (Refia's Fist): Burning Devotion - PHY: 71% single fire/non x10 (710%) with en-fire, augment critical damage, cast speed x2 1, and cycle (fire; cast speed x2 1). RS Fire up
    - Empress Kharna (III) (CoD's Staff): Crashing Darkness - BLK: 210% AoE dark/lightning x7 (1470%) with party MAG/RES+30%:622, self en-dark and chase "Lightning" (BLK: 440% AoE dark/lightning/(non). Triggered by dark elem.). RS dark up

- Crystal Shield (III) (Ingus' Shield): Faith Escutcheon - PHY: 84% single earth/non x8 (672%) with party earth radiant shield. Petrify Resist
    - 65% single earth/non x3; Knight +15% 3
    - self ATK/DEF+50%:611
    - Bizarre Staff (III) (CoD's Staff): [0-form] Particle Beam - BLK: 210% AoE dark/non x6 (1260%) with party MAG/MND+30%:623, haste, and doom 30s. Dark +
    - 272% single dark/non x3; Darkness +15% 3
    - 315% single dark/non x2; MAG/DEF bargain
    - Nirvana (III) (Aria's Staff): Maiden of Water - WHT: party Curaga and bar-fire
    - Instant Curaga + high regen
    - Medica
    - Staff of the Magi (III) (Arc's Staff): Auroral Grace - WHT: 234% single holy/non x5 (1170%) with party Cura and self MND+30%:602
    - Curaga + esuna
    - Medica
    - Onion Gauntlet (III) (Onion Knight's Bracer): Vessel of Fate - NAT: party ATK/MAG+30%:610 and haste. Blind resist
    - 47% single x4 with PHY noncharge 1
    - 225% single x4 with magic noncharge 1
    - Shura Glove (III) (Refia's Bracer): Dance of Carnage - PHY: 78% single fire/non x8 (624%) with self en-fire and crit=50%. Fire+
    - 49% single fire/non ranged x4, improved crit damage
    - 65% AoE fire/non ranged x2, ATK/DEF bargain
    - Onion Cape (III) (Onion Knight's Light Armor): LM - Nom de Guerre (Init: noncharge 2)
    - Refia's Tunic (III) (Refia's Light Armor): LM - Deadly Charm" (W-cast: fire). Fire resist
    - Brooding Armguard (III) (CoD's Bracer): LM - Spawn of Darkness (Init: en-dark). Dark resist
    - Lordly Robes (III) (Arc's Robe): LM - Bookworm (Buildup: WHT hits, MND+1% -> 25%)

2. smeezus

smeezus Official RKF Banner Rater

Friend Code:
    9MbD
    Onion Knight's Mace of Zeus is stupid. This does MAG, MND, and RES+30%, Hastega, and Quickcast Magic 3, while giving himself Sage EX. Sage EX increases his BLK damage by 15% and MAG by 30%. Basically, it gives that strong utility and DPS we all like, and we can either use Flare or another elemental skill. It's nuts, and it's still widely considered to be the best MAG buff 6 months into the future. Rating: MUSB/10 – Game-breaking

The Onion Blade is of similar stupidity. This is a Hastega, 50% AoE ATK boost, Critga, and EX: Ninja. This gives ATK+30% to himself, reduces your cast time by 30%, and reduces your cast time by 30% for every action (up to 340%). This also doesn't wear off if you recast the SB enough. It doesn't sound like much, but it's great for Wrathtrusting, taking advantage of Dervish to provide your own strong DPS, or even healing. It also technically doesn't mix with Cloud, but the meta is moving away from Cloud's sheer power to CSBs, speed, and maximizing total hits. Hell, even with Gen 2 CSBs, the Critga and Ninja EX makes this awesome. The sheer amount of shit you can do with Onion Knight is staggering. Rating: PUSB/10 – Game-breaking

Refia's Metal Knuckles are one of those weird “fetish relics” I'm talking about that gets constant reissues despite being an inferior relic. It's a good relic in theory, but falls short because Sabin and Zell exist. Entry is 10x ST, self-Kritzkrieg, Enfire, and a self-Quickcast 1. With this, Refia also gets a charge of Quickcast every time she uses a Fire ability. The Kritzkrieg, due to its rarity and circumvention of the softcap, is much better than “here's an ATK buff”, but the lack of a chase really puts a damper on it. Even with Quickcast, Sabin and Zell do 8-9 hits, which is great for chain building. Rating: 8/10 – Low-tier Quickcast USB

Cloud of Darkness's Empress Kharna is alright too. It does 7 Dark/Lightning/non AoE attacks, gives out a MAG/RES buff to the party, Endark to CoD herself, and chases every Dark attack with an AoE Dark/Lightning attack. The chase is always welcome, especially for AoE fights, and will do quite a bit of damage. Rating: 9/10 – Very strong

Ingus's Crystal Shield is awesome combined with his CSB. This does 8x ST Earth/non attacks and Earth Radiant Shield. The damage reflected back is only 75%, but the Earth element is awesome. CMD2 boosts his ATK and DEF by 50%, while CMD1 does 4x ST Earth/non and boosts his Knight damage by 15%. In short, it's an Earthbringer booster. Unfortunately, there's no other Earth Chain out besides his own, so this doesn't work like Kimahri or Snow's USBs do. It's a shame someone like Tifa, Maria, or Rydia doesn't have an Earth CSB, because you could easily argue this would be a banner win if a second Earth chain existed. And if not, it's pretty good for the Earthbringer boosting and extra DPS from Earth Radiant Shield. Rating: 9/10 – Great Earth support.

Cloud of Darkness's Bizarre Staff is a powerful Dark support, and a very interesting BSB to boot. This does 6 AoE Dark/non attacks, buffs MAG and MND by 30%, gives the entire party Hastega and a 30-second Doom. CMD2 is a 2-hit ST MAG bargain, while CMD1 is a 4-hit ST attack with Darkness Boost 15%. I actually like this relic a lot – it's very interesting, and it can slot-save in the case of some units like Raines who like Doom a lot. Sure, it kills you after 30 seconds, but you should probably kill the boss anyway before it's up. Rating: 9/10 – Very powerful in its niche

Arc's Staff of the Magi isn't so great. Entry is AoE Cura, 5 Holy/non ST damage, a self-MND+30%, and a Burst. CMD2 is standard-issue AoE Cure, but CMD1 is Ultra Cure at Curaga potency. I'm assuming this is to compensate for the MND buff, but Ovelia's BSB has the buff and a standard-issue CT0 Curaja. In addition, Garnet's BSB1 has the full Ultra Cure slot-save, too. Here, you're getting an inferior option on the command and a useless SB. Rating: 7/10 – Low-tier Medica BSB

Aria's Nirvana isn't great either. Entry is Curaja, Barfire, and Burst Mode. CMD1 is a CT0 Curaga+Heavy Regen, while CMD2 is AoE Cure. The commands are (of course) very good, but I'm really not a fan of the entry. Barfire is extremely situational, and even then it doesn't warrant use over a top-tier USB or even Vanille's Burst. Rating: 7/10 – Low-tier Medica BSB

Onion Knight's Onion Gauntlets aren't game-breaking anymore, but can still be used. Firstly, it's on a very versatile character who excels at everything. The Soul Break itself gives ATK/MAG+30% and Hastega, plus a 4-hit physical and magical Powerchain as its commands. In short, this Burst gives him ridiculous utility and can give him good supporting DPS too. Honestly, he's slightly more useful as a mage due to his greater elemental coverage, but Wrathing is better. With native Vessel of Fate, his options are endless and he can pretty much fit into any team. The only problem is that his DPS is outclassed to the point where he falls short. His BSB is better than Snow's BSB2 and Galuf's USB, but he's fallen firmly out of “god tier BSB” territory. I'd probably take Alphinaud's SSB over this in the current state of the meta. Rating: 8.5/10 - Still viable, but power creeped

Refia's Shura Gloves are still the best physical Fire BSB, and for a good reason too. These are +Fire bracers that give 8 Fire/non attacks, boost her crit rate to 50%, and give Haste/Burst. The commands are 2 AoE attacks with self-+ATK/-DEF boosts and 4 ST attacks with native Kritzkrieg. The command still makes it useful to pair with her USB, especially considering the innate Kritzkrieg on CMD1. Rating: 8.5/10 - Still useful

The Onion Cape gives 2 CT0 charges at the start of the battle. If you have Keeper's Cap, you know that this is the second-best LMR in the game behind Ramza, and it's invaluable for getting that extra PUSB cast up or Wrathing. Hell, I'd consider diving him as Ninja DPS. Rating: 10/10 – You just won the banner!

Refia's Dougi gives her a 25% chance to Dualcast Fire abilities. Rating: 8/10 – Generic Dualcast LMR

Arc's Robe of Lords is a stacking MND boost dependent on which White Magic abilities he used. It gets a bit more leniency due to the relative rarity of MND buffs, but it still sucks. Rating: 3/10 – Poor buff

Cloud of Darkness's Brooding Armguard gives Endark at the start of battle. Rating: 6/10 – Generic Enelement LMR

VERDICT: Imagine every top-tier FF3 relic ever released except Ingus CSB on one banner. It should look very close to this. If you're a starter looking for the Trinity, this banner has three Hastegas on it and two Medicas (while they're low-tier, they're at least serviceable). The consolation prizes are Dark mage support, possible Earth support, and a wealth of serviceable BSBs for beginners. The only true dud is Arc's LMR. Unless you're a character puller, you should pull here. It's a god-banner.

There are three top-tier banners in the next 3 months: Orlandu, Terra, and this one. This one, obviously, has the highest floor due to being a BSB+ banner. However, I'd say Orlandu has a slightly higher ceiling due to having 3 game-breakers on there (Marche USB, Orlandu USB, and Ramza LMR). Terra lags behind a bit, but has some decent VI CM tools.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Tirix887, Whiteadder, Wolf and 3 others like this.
  3. Hibernis

Hibernis Absolute Warlord Supremacy Element: Ice Defier of Fate

Friend Code:
    KmLH
    Too many top-tier banners coming up one after another have me short on lapis to pull enough on all of them.. Tidus, Agrias, Terra, now OK and then Orlandeau.

Orlandeau doesn't interest me so much and I'm gonna invest my humble 100 mythril on this FF3 banner but I wish I had enough to pull at least once on Terra's banner...

Roche likes this.
  4. blaat

blaat Active Member

Friend Code:
    SsDG
    Pulling here, to me OK's new toys gets a notch extra compared to the other game breaking relics. Full set OK means he should be part of (almost) every team setup whereas the other relics are not. Hope rng is kind to all of us tomorrow :D

Hibernis and Roche like this.
  5. smeezus

smeezus Official RKF Banner Rater

Friend Code:
    9MbD
    You're in luck then, because the next Terra banner is even better than the last one.

Instead of USB1 it has Locke's CSB, and it has Relm's USB on it too. It's also got Leo USB (not bad) and Kefka BSB2/LMR.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Luxord and Roche like this.
  6. Luxord

Luxord Absolute Warlord Supremacy Element: Dark Defier of Fate

2 dupes on this banner, Refia and OK's bsbs. I think I'll pull anyway, I like CoD and if I'll get rewarded with the grand prizes, so be it :D

7. Hibernis

Friend Code:
    KmLH

Oh, when you said Terra banner I thought you mentioned the current one.
    So there's another one ahead?
    Yay, already preparing myself for that!! *-*

8. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Absolute Warlord TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    YNvY
    I hear that Ninja EX has the funky property of the stacking fast cast buff not being tied to the EX mode itself. So if you recast the USB while EX mode is up, you keep the stacks. Crazy.

Which one is USB1 and USB2?

9. Starkiller

Starkiller Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Pretty stoked for this banner, lots of interesting relics on top of the OP OK relics. Either going to be happy or salty! We shall see!

10. JeanQuebecois

JeanQuebecois Foundation Member

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    atPa
    Onion Knight has been falling a bit lately in my power hierarchy. With a lucky pull on this banner, he could rise to the top once again!

11. pookkachan

pookkachan Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    G8vP
    1/11 ok PUSB. Should I chase for his lmr?

7825BA3D-D392-4365-A40D-DB056F2059F5.jpeg

Dragoon, Noctis Caelum, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  12. Eeth

Eeth Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    1st 50 mythrils

4/11

halp

Want OK LMR too what to do omg

Attached Files:

Dragoon, Tricky1, Luxord and 3 others like this.
  13. Yaridovich

Yaridovich Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    Screenshot_20180110-230434.png

Good one, but could be better, so tried again...

Screenshot_20180110-230543.png Screenshot_20180110-230741.png

Apparently I have ridiculous luck when it comes to FFIII banners because something very similar happened in the banner that originally brought OK BSB o_o

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER RIGHT NOW

Dragoon, Zodiac, majicalways and 9 others like this.
  14. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Absolute Warlord TOTS Warrior

Friend Code:
    YNvY
    [​IMG]

Six dupes on banner now! Too pull or not? Refia and Onion's LMRs would be nice... sage mode would be nice...

Or I can chase Agrias gear on Orlandue banner 2!

Anyway, I'm happy to have Refia's USB, and to have a healer burst for realm. Onion Ninja USB is, of course, great to have. I have a very solid FFIII team now, so I think I'm done with this banner. I'm sure the other two onion relics will be back.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Dragoon, Zodiac, Luxord and 6 others like this.
  15. Hibernis

Friend Code:
    KmLH
    Two pulls got me

Arc LMR
    CoD BSB2
    Refia USB

Big MEH right there. My OK continues to be a sucker unit with only his subpar medica...

16. Deuce

Deuce Well Known Member Supremacy Element: Dark Successor of SeeD TOTS Warrior Dark Hime

Friend Code:
    9exu
    Full Legend Characters:
    Bartz, Tidus, Cloud, Squall, Tifa, Terra, TG Cid, Lightning, Cyan, Ayame, Ashe, Aerith, Cid Raines, Y'shtola, LuLu, Maria, Alphinaud, Edge, Shelke, Onion Knight, Riku
    SALT for you onion head !!!
    [​IMG]
    Did 4 pulled.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 2nd and 3rd pulled really hurt me lot...
    I struggle lot finally decide go for 4th.... and it's .... speechless....
    [​IMG]
    I can't even smell onion at all.... waste my type 0 budget here already, sorry Rem and Deuce, can't chase you anymore because of stupid onion head, chase so hard and walk away with CoD and Refia...
    Fate...........

Dragoon, Zodiac, majicalways and 9 others like this.
  17. derek281

derek281 Active Member

One pull...2/11

Attached Files:

Dragoon, Tricky1, Tirix887 and 2 others like this.
  18. Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk Absolute Warlord

Medals:
    1/11: CoD USB
    1/11: Dup Arc BSB
    2/11: Ingus BSB2 and Arc LMR

Hmph. Trying to argue myself out of another 11-pull.

19. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c The Art of Lazy Admin! Staff Member Administrator Moderator Multiple Forum Staff Forum Advocate

Medals:
    I have been waiting for this banner for months and month in HUGE ANTICIPAION. Yesterday I got an email saying welcome to the Sapphire MVP club (again haha!) for my new account. Then a few hours later I lost the account whilst trying to back it up and cloudeds account somehow rewrote all of my backups (Despite DENA supposedly fixing his account back in August). I had bought 18k gems on my old account ready for this banner ANDDDDDD... they ALSO transferred over to cloudeds account... how and what in the.. ehhhh

I have been waiting for this banner FOREVER AND EVER therefore I wasn’t going to let a minor thing such as the loss of my new account stopping me from drawing on this highly anticipated banner as it is something I have waited forever for!!

Soooo here are the results of my 18k gemzzzzzz on streefs account:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAPPY NEW YEAR @Cloudedstrife @Crowdedstreef YOU LUCKY BASTERDDDDDDDDD!!!!

Dragoon, Zodiac, majicalways and 7 others like this.
  20. nekster

nekster Absolute Warlord

5 multi pulls for this awesome banner!
    Got all Lmrs and 7* OK lmr and only 1 disco which thankfully was OK

Attached Files:

Dragoon, Zodiac, majicalways and 2 others like this.