Team Composition Advice - Returning Player

Discussion in 'Party Help' started by Martino, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Martino

Martino New Member

Friend Code:
    mXiG
    Hi :D

I play FFRK for some time now, but i used to log in for dailies most of the time, and i havent been playing for a year now, and now im trying to play properly for a week already, but im clueless on how building my team, what abilities to craft and what i do right now ingame.
    Any help would be apreciated :D

My current team :

Squall (82) - OSB (Punishment) - (Flare Strike/Lifesiphon)
    Seymour (67) - BSB (Seymour Rod) - (Bahamut/Flare)
    Y'shtola (67) - BSB (Healer's Circlet) - (Holy/Curaja)
    Lightning (82) - OSB (Gladius+) - BSB (Etro's Embrace) - (Lifesiphon/Ripping Blast)
    Ramza (80) - BSB (Iga Blade) - (Wrath/Full Break)

Ovestrike:
    Subzero Blast (Squall)
    Thunderfall (Lightning)

Burst:
    Anima's pain (Seymour)
    Unsung Hero (Ramza)

Super SB:
    Lightning strike (Lightning)

Some Relics i have:
    Blade of Brennaere - OSB (Gladiolus)
    Demon's Rod - OSB Final Requiem Kuja

Shining Staff - USB - Enduring Revival (Minwu)

Onion Sword - SSB - Onion Slice (Onion Knight)

Nightmare - BSB - Dark flame (Dark knight Cecil)

Metamorphosis Claws - OSB -Metamorphose (Cid Raines)

Lightning steel - UniqueSB - Slice e Dice (Tidus)

AMP Coat - BSB - Here we go! (Snow)

Artemis Bow - BSB - Beryl Serpent (Faris)

Faris Longcoat - USB - Phantom (Faris)

Tidus Armguad - Legend Materia Moonflow Grace (Tidus)

Artemis bow - SSB - Divine Heal (Rosa)

I tried to do the Profile page but theres some abilities missing and some armour missing too.Ill try to add the link later

Currently i can clear Difficult 110 Dungeons with 1 round battles, but if its 3 fights/3 rounds each i cant keep my team alive, what should i do?
    I wasnt supposed to be clearing higher difficulty dungeons already?

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. Wolf

Wolf Ghost Member Supremacy Realm: Tactics

Full Legend Characters:
    Ramza / Yuffie / Orlandeau / Onion Knight / Luneth / Squall / Galuf / Tyro / Mog / Faris / Cloud / Eiko / Y' shtola / Lighting / Rinoa / Garland / Terra
    hello @Martino and welcome
    nice to see, when members jump right in for help and information.

If you read a post by someone here and you like what they are saying,
    and would like to know more from them, you can alert them by typing their name
    with this symbol ( @ ) in front of their name, anywhere on the site, in any post.
    you can see this with MY name below

This will ALERT, the person that they were, ( mentioned ) and direct them to your question
    or issue. You can also PM ( personal message ) any member from an ID tag, of a member.

again, welcome
    look forward to your input and success in the game

@Wolf

Roche and Graham like this.
  3. Jan

Jan :chocobo: Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Friend Code:
    9k2f
    Full Legend Characters:
    Welcome back!

The characters with the relics that stick out to me are Y'sh and Cid Raines. Minwu's USB is good too.

I would say, it looks like you need to make use of the daily XP dungeon, and level up some of your characters as much as you can. Get a full team of 99s (I'd say def Y'sh and Lightning but eventually you want to have everyone at 99!).

Your lineup will change with the battles though, so you're going to want to usually bring a support character (someone who can use Full Break - of the ones you have listed, you have Onion Knight, Faris and Ramza), 1 White mage (Y'sh and Minwu are your best options currently), a couple of DPS characters (Lighting and Cid Raines fit the bill here. You'd want to bring Raines in mage parties because his BSB boosts everyone elses damage). You usually want someone in your party to have a haste, if you have one (I didn't see any in the relics you listed).

Some good abilities to work on would include 2 copies of Life Siphon, Ultra Cure, Protectga, Shellga, Power Breakdown, Magic Breakdown, Armor Breakdown, Full Break, the elemental Black Magic spells (chain firaga etc) and Spellblade (good for squall and Lightning).

Those are some basics, I don't have time to do more at the moment, but there's plenty of smart people on here who can help you beat content! And stop by chat! There's usually someone there to help as well!

Roche likes this.
  4. Graham

Graham Active Member

So in your current account's state, you have some decent stuff like Y'shtola's medica BSB and a few LMRs; however, you're missing a few key core team mechanics which would push you out of 110 dungeons and closer to Nightmare and later Magicites.

Fortunately for you, it sounds like you've been stockpiling mythril via daily logins. To bring you up to par so you can compete, here is what I suggest you do:
    1. Focus on your Realm dungeons and obtain as much Stamina crystals and mythril as you can. When you run out of Stamina, use your DeNA gratuity chest "Stamina Potions". Use them to keep pushing through those Realm dungeons, you need to build up your Stamina at around 120~150, as well as collect all the mythril Realm dungeons offer. If you run out of stamina potions, you can buy four more on the Gysahl Exchange; they replenish every so often. After having 120~150 stamina, you should be able to chain Realm dungeons back-to-back collecting 5 Stamina shards before completely running out of Stamina.
      See here for reference to Gysahl Exchange: https://snag.gy/GCUMrl.jpg
    2. After you have have 120~150 Stamina or higher, I'd focus hard on those Renewal dungeons. It's fortunate you returned when you did because those dungeons are open for a limited time and allow you to complete dungeons you missed! They also net you more Mythril.
    3. With a ton of Mythril saved, like 400+, I'd "whale" on an upcoming festival that's happening late June. The first banner alone will kickstart you into the present, allowing you to make a highly competent team and potentially take on Magicites which is the current hardest content available at this time. What you're looking for are both "Generation 2 Chains" and "Ultra Soulbreaks", non-officially abbreviated as both CSB and USB. Both BSB and SSB are quickly becoming phased out of the meta with USBs and Chains because of what they offer in comparison. Read up on USBs and CSBs to have a better understanding.

Here are all the banners on that festival I mentioned above:

Roche likes this.
  5. Martino

Martino New Member

Friend Code:
    mXiG
    @Wolf @Jan @Graham

Wow, im amazed.
    Thank you all for the fast reply and deep explanation.
    Been 2 days since the first time i came to this forum and its amazing how much great content i found here.

Following booth Jan and Graham advice ill work on realm dungeons for stamina.

@Graham reading the soon to come fest banners you linked i got interested in Banner 1 Tyro Relic and Ramza/TG Cid.
    Could you tell me what are the best relics we can get from the 5 banners?

I dont want to end up spending all my mythril on banner 1 and losing a great relic from banner 2-3 for example.

Edit: @Jan
    I forgot to mention in my first post, i got 2 copies of Lifesiphon
    2 copies of bahamut (1 with 1 use and the other with 2 uses)
    1 flare
    1 FullBreak
    1 rippingBlast
    1 wrath
    1 Flarestrike
    1 curaja
    1 Holy
    These are the one im currently using

Thanks again for your time!

Roche likes this.
  6. Jan

Friend Code:
    9k2f
    Full Legend Characters:
    That's a ways away. Considering that you don't have many relics, whenever you see a Dungeon Update banner, those that are half off (usually have 3 or 4 realms attached to them) pull on those. Those will give you some stuff to work with until you get to the Fest.

From there, probably space out your pulls as you are trying to bolster your whole team, it's better to pull a couple times on each banner than sink all your myth chasing one relic. Dupes are awful in this game. But Banner 1 has some great relics.

7. Graham

Graham Active Member

I'm glad I could help! Banner five seems alright, I'm not a fan of Arcane Soulbreaks which there are two on there:
    • UOSSB "Platinum Strike": 3xST Overflow Earth physical dmg
    • UOSSB "Polar Storm": 3xST Overflow Lightning magic dmg
    How they work, at least I think, is you can only use them "once" in a single battle, and they require three Soulbreak gauges opposed to the traditional two. To increase the amount of uses, I believe you have to use "glint" soulbreaks (known as Flash arts as well), also on that banner. I feel it's too much setup for too small damage, I'd rather chase a USB that requires two bars and simply use abilities that trigger a chase follow-up. What I mean is you could use a USB, such as Ashe's on that banner, and then proceed to use the lightning black mage ability "Chain Thundaga" for five hits. The USB's follow-up would then activate for five additional more hits if Chain Thundaga's rank is 5; you'd hit ten times total. You also have a chance to even dualcast Chain Thundaga from Ashe's Legend Materia 2 (LM2 for short); however though, you can never have two follow-up chases, so Chain Thundaga would hit twice, then a single chase would activate. Still, that's 15 hits nonetheless.

• Empyrean's Edict: Ten single attacks (1.70 each), MAG and RES +30% to the user for 25 seconds, grants Attach Lightning and Lightning Sigil Follow-Up to the user.
      • Lightning Sigil Follow-Up: 2/3/4/5/6 single attacks (1.42 each) at rank 1/2/3/4/5 of the triggering ability
    • Queen's Imperium: 35% chance to dualcast abilities that deal Lightning damage.
    To answer your question, I'd definitely say Garnet's gen 2 lightning chain as well as those USB's are what you want. I feel it's noteworthy to mention that there are no soulbreaks (other than ... core blackmage, which is Self and not Group buffed) that increase Magic to +50%, they only reach 30% so far.

• Memories Erased by a Storm: Activates Lightning Chain (max 150, field +50%), MAG +50% for 25 seconds.
    So to elaborate on this chain and what it does, it gives your entire party a +50% Magic boost, and starts you at +50% Lightning damage (similar to enElement which most BSBs give for a single character). When you hit with a lightning attack, it adds onto the chain by 1% per hit. If you hit 15 times, as mentioned above, it adds 15% more damage onto the chain, making it now do 65% more lightning damage. It caps out at 150% max Lightning damage on the chain.

Gen 1 (current) chains do not do this, that start you at 20% and cap at 100%; however though, they traditionally have additional buffs or have some other perk to them, like 22 additional hits which add onto the chain making it 44%. Gen 2 chains are far superior as you can tell.

8. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member "Not Actually Canadian" Free Draw Supremacy

Medals:
    Welcome back to the game. As Jan mentioned, the next fest is quite a ways away still (most likely June), so in the meantime there are a lot of good things you can pull here and there on. In general, it's usually good to pull on any half price banners, such as the Dungeon Update lucky pulls. Hopefully pulling on those can round out your teams a little!

Roche likes this.
  9. Graham

Graham Active Member

@Martino You can decide however you'd like to play, do a few pulls along the way and have fewer pulls on the festival banners that matter, or wait. I personally would wait for the festival because of just how good all five banners are, having all that extra mythril on those banners will allow you to have more pulls, naturally.

You could alternatively pull here and there as Jan and OhCanada suggest, but balance it out with gem pulls. I figure with you just coming back into the game, you probably don't want to put in that level of commitment with your wallet. You probably want to see what the game offers first, so you decide.

10. Martino

Martino New Member

Friend Code:
    mXiG
    @OhCanada
    Thank you, im impressed with the community, hope i make some friends here and learn with you all.
    @Graham
    Are you the incarnation of Final Fantasy Library? xD
    Thank you so much for the time and effort you dedicate to reply my questions, if you guys dont mind i have a few more questions i got after returning.

1 - When you mention the triggering of attacks with chain SB you mean it automatically trigger those attacks or i have to follow up with attacks that will chain?

2 - I searched for future banners and found a link that brings all future banners and relics but currently i dont know whats great and whats mediocre in this meta, could you tell me if theres any relic worth trying to pull in those banners that come before the extreme fest?

3 - Besides the abilities i already got, what abilities i should create?

Thats all for the moment

Btw i started switching between the event dungeons and realm dungeons for mythril and stamina, when i first played i cleared just a few realm dungeons so i have LOTS of dungeons i can complete for stamina shards, i do low stamina cost event dungeons till i reach 19 stamina and then i just complete those realm dungeons that give 3-4 stamina shards and it refills my stamina, last night i managed to get 35 mythril doing this, didnt get more because i was almost sleeping in my keyboard haha

Thanks guys and sorry for bothering with so many questions, ill try to take some time and make an introduction later :D

Roche likes this.
  11. Jan

Friend Code:
    9k2f
    Full Legend Characters:
    No problem!

Make sure you do events before they expire. The realm dungeons will always be available to you, but events leave. Actually, right now you should be trying to do and finish as many of the renewal dungeons that are available as possible.

Graham is talking as a veteran player. The fest will have the best banners for sure, but you don't want to pull to heavily from them, because that will often give you dupes. And dupes suck in this game. 2-3x from each is usually as much as you want to go.

Relics that you want to aim for are Boosts with hastes attached to it (The best in the game are Ramza's USB, Ramza's Shout or BSB2, Onion Knight's BSB/USBs, Tyro USB3 (or godwall) Rikku USB1. There are many more, but these are the best I can think of off the top of my head). Also, having a Whitemage USB is key as content gets harder. They're generally instantly casted AOE healing with additional effects, depending on the character. I think you have Minwu's which is pretty good.

The followup attacks that Graham is talking about are from specific USBs. They effects after you use them that we call chase attacks, or chase. So for example, Shadow's USB does a bunch of damage instantly, but if you have two blinks on him (which certain ninja abilities give him) and then you use a ninja ability, he will follow up with 2 hits to chase the attack you did. There are a lot of DPS USBs in this vein, and some are better than others. But for you, when you have low hones, BSBs are good too because you can use the commands in place of higher hones that USBs will need from you to be successful.

As for skills, I'd concentrate on the ones I laid out above:

Ultra Cure, Protectga, Shellga, Power Breakdown, Magic Breakdown, Armor Breakdown, at least r2 on Full Break, the elemental Black Magic spells (chain firaga etc) and Spellblades (5* preferable, 4* fine initially. Lightning for Lightning, Ice for Squall, or whatever the weakness of a boss).

OhCanada, Roche and Graham like this.
  12. Graham

Graham Active Member

Jan hit right on the head with her explanation; however, while those renewal dungeons are temporary and will leave 05/09/2018, he could get more mythril from building up enough Stamina via chaining dungeons after reaching a certain amount of stamina than trying to plow through those Renewals. Out of all his luck and timing with returning, it is a bit unfortunate that Realm dungeons aren't half off haha!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Jan likes this.
  13. Martino

Martino New Member

Friend Code:
    mXiG
    @Jan
    Thank you for the reply, it cleared some of the questions i had and now i understand the concept of Chain SB's
    I will create Ultra Cure and Protectga/Shellga and try to Hone Full Break ASAP.

@Graham
    Lol Half stamina there would be awesome, ill try to get at least 20 mythril daily till the end of renewal dungeons.

I will try to collect the relics you mentioned Graham and ramza shout and Tyro USB3 like Jan mentioned too.

Thanks for the help so far guys

Jan likes this.
  14. Graham

Graham Active Member

Sounds like you're set and have a game play @Martino!

Glad we could help

15. Martino

Martino New Member

Friend Code:
    mXiG
    Yeah, Thanks for all the help
    I will try to get at least 30 mythril daily for the next 10 days, after the event ends ill try to get at least 10 mythril daily, ill have at least another 20 days after the event to get 10 daily.
    thats around 500-600 mythril till the event in june, i had around 150 mythril and spent it before coming here for help, got only trash, really regret not keeping it.

Thanks guys

Edit: Guys!
    @Graham @Jan

Updating my current situation, after farming some mythril i tried my luck at Holy banner and got this!

Should i combine it right away?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Graham likes this.
  16. Jan

Friend Code:
    9k2f
    Full Legend Characters:
    I'd probably keep them separate. They're +holy swords with great stats. Once you get some more holy element boost stuff, you can combine them.

17. Martino

Martino New Member

Friend Code:
    mXiG
    Thanks Bro!
    Ill keep them booth
    Nice Sig btw!I think one of my favorite FF chars, Shadow!
    The game i most played from FF is FF6
    Edit:
    Should i replace anyone from my team with TGC?

Lightning currently lvl 99
    Ramza lvl 99
    Squall lvl 84
    Seymour lvl 70
    Y'shtola lvl 82

got TGC lvl 80

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Jan likes this.
  18. OhCanada

Medals:
    With his USB?! Absolutely. 100%. No question haha. It's one of the most OP relics in the game and it's the best DPS for 3 elements (holy, earth, dark)

But it does require hones, which you don't have a lot of yet. I'd recommend you start working on Assault Saber for TGC. Maybe even two copies depending on how quick you can get his USB up.

Jan likes this.
  19. Martino

Martino New Member

Friend Code:
    mXiG
    Thanks bro! Already made assault sabre, cant hone yet but i need just 2 orbs for it.
    I dont get mastery and first time rewards for power dungeons anymore after the first time i do?

Did most of them last week and now im getting only greater's not major's

@Graham @Jan @OhCanada

Sorry for invoking you guys

Should i keep my Ramza with Wrath/Full Break or change to Wrath/Entrust to get TGC/Lightning USB/OSB charged faster?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  20. OhCanada

Medals:
    Making Ramza a battery (wrath/entrust) is a very viable strategy and probably your better option as long as you don't need Full Break for medal requirements. You definitely 100% have to hit the medal requirements for every fight, so you should always start any build by figuring out who can do that, then build strength from there.