Team re work

Discussion in 'Party Help' started by Vene, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Vene

Vene New Member

Friend Code:
    9b4F
    I quit the game for about 6 months since my old phone was too slow to run it. After coming back I started playing catch up and got lucky with pulls. I assumed overstrike breaks were better than bsb and just used those. I recently learned that was a mistake and now need to rework my team by choosing from my bsbs. I also learnt it can be better to have a focused melee team or magic team instead of a mixed.

I imagine I need a complete rework but I can't post a link to my central profile so here are the sbs I wrote down:

Physical is galufs sweet Sorrow, minfilias the echo, tidus abes all star, bartz light of the four, leilas poison cloud xvi, agrias holy blade and holy knight charge, clouds fenrir overdrive and finishing touch, squalls sub zero blast, firions rose of rebellion, shadows shuriken storm, frans gaze of the void.

Magic is cid raines metamorphose, kujas final requiem, Terra's scorching flames and blood of espers, golbezs twin moon, exdeaths neo black hole, rydias mournful cry.

Support is ramzas shout and chant.

Vincents galian beast and cerberus shell.

Healers are vanilles transcendent dream and convalescence, aeriths white materia, yunas song for spira, Yshtolas stoneskin ii and asylum, ovelias divine ward, larsas life crystal.

2. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    YNvY
    Vanille is the best healer.

You have the bones for a nice dark mage team, but lack mage shout.

Ramza is great support with Shout, and Chant works with Overdrive. It's probably the most synergistic thing you have.

Then I would add Shadow and Galuf to the team, because why not?

3. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Hello! and welcome back to Record Keeper Forums!

For more comprehensiveness, I would recommend you sync'ing your account with FFRK Central, then sharing the link here, so that we can have a broader view of what you got so far.
    Link to my profile, for example, as follows:
    https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/e7tB

I'm keen to take up the challenge of offering some suggestions for your case. Stay tuned!

4. Vene

Vene New Member

Friend Code:
    9b4F
    Hi thanks for the message and I have synced my profile but my account is too new with too few posts to be able to post a link to it.

5. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Firstly, for notes on Abbreviations & misnomers that are used, please refer to the following link:
    http://recordkeeperforum.com/threads/list-of-abbreviations-misnomers-on-recordkeeperforum.6365/

Secondly, I would like to talk about party makeup.
    In a balanced team setup, you would usually have the following roles:
    Healer
    Support

DPS
    #1 (can be PHY or MAG)
    DPS
    #2 (can be PHY or MAG)
    DPS
    #3 (can be PHY or MAG)

Next, let's talk about Soul Breaks.

For starters, getting a good starting point of your gaming experience in FFRK would often mean being lucky enough to pull the "Trinity" relics that are essential to clearing most end-game content, i.e.:
    1. Wall SB ~ Y'shtola Stoneskin II checks out!
    2. Hastega SB equivalent with boostga/faithga ~ Ramza Shout SSB (for PHY team) checks out! You could also keep a lookout for Krile Sheepsong SSB (for MAG team) and Onion Knight Vessel of Fate BSB (for hybrid teams) in future
    3. AOE Healing SB ~ Y'shtola BSB, Vanille BSB and Larsa BSB checks out for being among the top tier ones!
    Hence, based on a balanced team setup, my opinion in improving your team mainly comes down to the following points:
    1. Get together your A-team
      • as you would already know it, it is a team of five who you can universally use to attempt any FFRK realm dungeon or event dungeon fight. Of course you could swap out some characters for another depending on the fight, such as the PHY meta or Mage meta approaches.
      • You have many options and good quality SBs that can measure up to an A-team, both in PHY and Mage meta.
      • For the sake of one reference powerhouse team that covers all mitigation debuffs, buffs (defensive & offensive), healing, and DPS, I will use a dark-elemental mage team as a reference:
        • Healer: Y'shtola with R3 Shellga/Protectga and R5 Curaja/ R3 UC
          • You have both her BSB and Wall SB. Keep her in your main team.
          • Alternatively, since you have both of Vanille's USB and BSB, she is also a very versatile healer, and your probably would resort to getting a RW with Wall buff instead.
          • Larsa should also be considered in case you are up against a boss that inflicts crippling status ailments, to which his BSB is able to allow you to dodge the first status ailment bullet once.
        • Support: Fran with R3 Full Break and R4 POW/MAG Breakdown
          • Since you have Fran BSB, you could position her to snipe from the back row together with the rest of your mage team members. Note that on top of FB stacking on top of 4* breakdowns, her pentabreak effect form her BSB stacks atop these debuffs too! Her Burst Command #2 also lowers enemy RES as well (similar to Mental Breakdown), complementing MAG DPS output.
          • Normally, Ramza could be slotted as Support due to being able to cast Shout SSB that gives a Hastega effect, despite the ATK+ effect not benefiting a mage party.
        • DPS #1: Cid Raines
          • To say that his BSB is top tier among mage BSBs, is an understatement. It is able to hold its own as a powerhouse DPS machine thanks to his Command #1 alone. And with his MAG+/DEF+ party buff that can boosted further by stackable faithga effects, his BSB is truly a monster of a DPS machine.
          • He is also able to use Wrath, which helps him sustain the crazy DPS monster that he already is!
        • DPS #2: Exdeath
          • His BSB is able to inflict Imperil Dark onto the enemy, sending Cid Raines' Holy/Dark BSB damage to even greater heights! His BSB & magic also benefit from the party buff from Cid Raines BSB too!
        • DPS #3 / Tank: Golbez
          • Golbez is quite a tanky mage for his stature. And what better way to boost his mage effectiveness than by adding him with the former two dark magic users! His BSB & magic also benefit from the party buff from Cid Raines BSB too!
          • Alternatively, Terra could be considered. Between her OSB and BSB, it is her OSB that really gains attraction here. Being able to use Wrath, she could just keep building up her SB gauge and then release 3 shots of Fire/NE OSB damage in consecutive succession! She also benefits from the party buff from Cid Raines BSB too! Only issue here is that none of Terra's magical features is Dark element based.
    2. Save up on ::Blue:: Mythrils
      • Speaks for itself.
    3. Using your ::Blue:: Mythrils (Smartly)
      • Assuming that you are free-to-play and not spending money on FFRK, NEVER use them for healing your party or reviving them, nor should u use them to top up your emptied stamina bar.
      • Plan on when to use them
        • Only use Mythrils to obtain new relics (aka pulling on relic banners), which then unlock new SBs and often grants a permanent Stat Boost to the character. If you have a favorite Final Fantasy title, you could look into the crystal ball: http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/events/ , to see what upcoming events' relic banners you might want to pull from
        • Never spend 5 myths on 1 single relic or 15 myths on 3x relics. Only spend mythril for the "buy 10 get 1 guaranteed 5* free" which usually costs 50 myths
        • If you are lucky enough to come across Lucky Draw relic banners, where "buy 10 get 1 guaranteed 5* free" is there but costs 25 myths to pull, JUST DO IT!!
        • Never chase after 1 relic on any event banner unless you plan to whale.
        • Try to aim for quality banners where u could tell yourself that even if u get a 1/11 pull that is the lowest on-banner relic, you can make peace with such outcome; what is considered quality banners, of course, depends on the relics/SBs you have in hand.
    I do hope that the above advice should be able to help u improve your team. Will chat more on other configs like abilities, RM and LM at a later time.
    And I strongly advise you to also drop by the forum chat, as people there are friendly enough to actively advise or explain to you how to improve your team, or what relics to look out for.

Alright. That's all for now.
    Happy gaming!

Deuce likes this.
  6. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
  7. Vene

Vene New Member

Friend Code:
    9b4F
    Wow thanks for the reply. That's really amazing. Thanks for spotting the synergies I could have :) So you're suggesting a dark mage team. Would kuja with his demon rod not be used? Plus how do you get through Trash with a mage team?

8. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    Yeah, the imperil Dark could benefit Kuja OSB. But unlike Terra who could Wrath up her SB gauge, Kuja won't be able to do that. But he does have access to WHM abilities as well, so perhaps u could consider both of these characters depending on the situation. If Kuja would eventually obtain an en-dark effect in future, then yes he definitely is more synergistic in the team.

Its your team, so its up to your playstyle :)

hmm... 4* BLM Ruinga? 4* BLM Quake? 5* BLM Meteor?
    May I also remind you that there are RMs such as Mana Spring II, Summoning Spring II, and Concentration II which also answers this same question.

9. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Well-Known Member

Medals:
    Friend Code:
    YNvY
    In my opinion, your dark mage team lacks hastega. You would need to stock some from a roaming warrior. Sheepsong, Endless Blessings, Ley Lines or even something with +Magic like Eblon Doppleganger are all good choices. Actually, now that I look, you do have several choices for hastega. Edward's Song of Swiftness gives haste and +magic to your magic team. You could replace Fran in @Roche team line up. Not as much breaking, but Hastega is more important.

If we're talking doing dungeons instead of event bosses, let's go straight to physical. Autobattling dungeons take forever with casters unless you have Black Mage's Awakening RS or something. Wait, now that I look, you have level 99s and stuff. Go use Vivi and get Black Mage's Awakening for dungeons. It's great.

I also want to see a Galuf/Vincent based fire team. Maybe not yet, but at some point

Roche likes this.
  10. SaitoHajime101

SaitoHajime101 Member

Friend Code:
    K69y
    The biggest piece of information I can provide that hasn't been said is this:

Do not be afraid to constantly rotate out team members based upon the dungeon or event or even the specific battle you are attempting.

The biggest hole I dug for myself was trying to find that one party I can use for almost every fight. That's not going to work. Recently there was a fight where my holy imperil team was useless in (which is my best team). The fight almost sunk me, however I had already worked on a team b and a team c and managed the fight handily.

Vanille, while an awesome healer with BSB/USB (I use Vanille has my go to as well) suffers in fights where single target high damage happens often. It was suggested that you run a tank, that's great usually, but you'll run out of hones in UC/Curaja before the battle is finished. Having a BSB with a single target heal as CMD1 is better in those types of fights as it keeps your UC/Curajas available when you don't have a heal BSB up and ready.

The other downside is the lack of the wall. I have no native wall so I'm constantly using a Wall as RW. From my experience this has been difficult for the 220 or higher fights as I only have 2 walls. I have to time it really well to maintain a wall for the whole battle and if I'm not doing enough damage, I will run out of walls before I can even get close to beating the boss. 250 and 300 fights are especially true.

This all boils down to my initial statement of swapping your team around consistently. Don't settle for a A team for high end fights. Be willing to rotate out with new combinations for the high end. Having a A team for the low content is fine, but it isn't sustainable at the high end with new high end battles every week.

Jan and Roche like this.
  11. Vene

Vene New Member

Friend Code:
    9b4F
    Thanks so much for your help guys. You got me really excited to play the game :).

I've re organised my melee team by replacing my healer with Yshtola and terra with another melee for low level content.

I also made the dark mage team and played around with different skills to use. Once they have built up their soul gauge they are very powerful but struggle until then and are sort of squishy so I probably need to level them up a bit more and get better armour.

12. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    I'm totally on board with what @mageofthesands mentioned about using Edward's unique SB Song of Swiftness to kickoff the fight in a mage team setup, instead of Fran. Abilities wise, he also has similar access to them like Fran anyway. But if you do eventually obtain Krile SSB Sheepsong, it is essentially an improved SB compared to Edward's Song (and their respective party buffs would overwrite each other instead of stacking), except that she does not have access to 5* Support.

Also, what @SaitoHajime101 had stated about:
    is very true. There is no one formula fit all A-team that can beat all content, and that the hardest content will always be the biggest brainteaser that pits the fight's mechanics against what abilities/SBs/characters/relics/resources u have in hand. In fact, I personally find the fun in (after amassing at least a handful of relics, of course) determining what is the best PHY/MAG/hybrid team setup that can tackle a particular fight.

You would probably also realize that in certain dungeons, such as specific Nightmare dungeons, even certain roles do not work at all. An example would be Evrae Altana (Nightmare) who is completely immune to all Support school's abilities (i.e. beakdowns) and even exhort you to assemble a full White Mage team to benefit from Hero Synergy.

TL;DR u gotta work with what you got, and have fun doing it!
    Do post in reply if u need further help, and enjoy FFRK!

13. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
  14. Vene

Vene New Member

Friend Code:
    9b4F
    I just drew braskas summoners dream! Is that as good as sheepsong?

15. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    It's comparable! Have a try and make good stuff happen!

16. Vene

Vene New Member

Friend Code:
    9b4F
    Realised it isn't as good because I'd have to replace a dark mage for braska

17. Roche

Roche Well-Known Member

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    No worries. This only affects the dark mage team, but if u are only aiming for a generic mage team with a stacking MAG buffs, his could definitely be an option.

In the meantime, once u are done leveling the main cast for your PHY and MAG teams, then u could level up Braska too. Normally I would only commit an MC3 for a character if they had a top tier BSB, USB or OSB. Once those characters are maxed at L99, then I consider others with useful SBs or with access to diverse ability schools.

18. Zidane

Zidane Official RKF Mascot

Friend Code:
    2LgF
    Multi Player Raid#:
    I can see your problem. And i know the solution.

Problem: I don't see Zidane in your team.

Solution: Put Zidane. Solo. Yes. Solo.