Top mage party

Discussion in 'Party Help' started by OhCanada, Oct 18, 2017.

1. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member

Medals:
    I think I posted one of these at the end of last fest too, but I'm looking for an updated best in show mage party. The game is rarely kind to me, unless it involves mage relics, in which I've amassed nearly all key pieces. The one thing I know people will suggest adding that I'll say now that I don't have are Terra USB/OSB. The best party I've been able to come up with so far is:

Papa (Ley lines, BSB)
    Raines (BSB)
    Alph (Deployment tactics, BSB)
    Vanille/Yuna (BSB / BSB2, USB)
    Fujin (enwind SSB, BSB)
    RW: SG

Other mage BSB/OSBs I have but can't fit in are:
    Maria BSB
    Golbez BSB
    Nabaat BSB
    OK OSB
    Kuja OSB
    Tyro SG, USB1, USB2
    Krille Sheepsong

It feels like I maybe have too many MAG boosts, and without a battery that results in Papa focusing on Ley Lines/abilities and Alph focusing on his BSB. Can anyone improve on this team? I'm also wondering if it's better to use Yuna for the MAG/MND boost/last stand or Vanille for her dual cast and CM1, both are fully LD'd. Any advice?

2. Omuno

Omuno Dedicated Warrior

Friend Code:
    SYCF
    The end game content right now is Magicite, but are you looking for a general party for magicite? or for general purpose?

It matters beause of the break, and for general purpose or magicite, OK BSB would be massive addition to both, because of FullBreak and Entrust Access (replacing Alph). If you can, wait for OK Mag USB, that relic is very good.

My magicite team usually Consist of:
    Papalymo - Chain/Chain or 4* ja or Flare - Ley Lines - Mako Might
    Yuna - Shellga/Ultra Cure - Tenets of Fayth - Dr Mog's Teaching
    OK - Entrust or Fullbreak/Wrath - BSB - Ace Striker
    Another Healer - BSB/USB - I use Rosa with Battleforged
    DPS
    Ashe/Vincent/Maria/Edea/Alphinaud/Gogo - BSB/USB - Chain or witch 4 abilities, anything the enemy is weak too.

So the general idea is to get 3 faithga as soon as possible, Papa and Yuna do faithga, OK and Raines (which can enter the team if Yuna could solo heal) can wrath into BSB.

About what relic to chase, i would suggest OK for his BSB/USB,
    and you DO lack quickcast USB damage it matters a bit,
    but for now i would suggest using Maria with her BSB.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Roche likes this.
  3. Roche

Roche July 2017 VIP

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    IMHO, thanks to RNG deciding on our ever changing DNA make-up that is our relic and SB collection, one may be or may not be fated to get both Terra USB and OSB in the same account. Yes, having a wrath able, attach element OSB mage is one solution, but does not mean it is the absolute means of an effective mage team.

Hence, regarding to your seeking of advice on mage team setup, @Omuno here is asking you the right questions.

If it is for general content clearing purposes, having two or three stackable faithga is plenty. Among the team of 5, one will definitely be either Dancing of Supporting with breakdowns, one healing, and the rest DPS, or potentially even tanking (Golbez BSB comes to mind).

However, if the agenda is mastering magicite dungeons (I'm not an expert in speed clearing here), then the key really is having the right SBs in hand, esp stacking faithga s and the attach element SBs.

Consider the following which is my mage party which mastered Lightning Hydra in its first time clear, within less than 60s:
    • L99 Gordon SSB with Entrust & Wrath, Battleforged RM
    • L99 Krile SSB with Meltdown & C.Stonega, Dr Mog's Teachings RM
    • L99 Rydia BSB+OSB with Titan & Bahamut, Scholar's Boon RM
    • L99 Selphie BSB with Protectga & Curaja, Mako Might RM
    • L99 Y'shtola BSB with Shellga & Curada, Gathering Storm RM
    • RW Elarra Wall
    Firstly, Gordon is the only suitable ATK MAG buff that I had which is near on par with OK BSB, and is able to use the Wrath-Entrust combo onto Rydia who can't equip Wrath at all. Fortunately, I had Krile to handle the party haste buff, and she is my secondary DPS. However, I had to insert Selphie BSB into the party as I found that my Rydia wasn't able to cap her OSB damage with two stacks of faithga alone (Today she is subbed out by Yuna BSB2). Y'shtola is LD for better dual casting heals. Lastly, after the first clearing, the magicite which I had equipped was Shell Dragon which slaps an imperil earth debuff onto boss on entry.

So you see: it really comes down to what you plan to use your mage team for. I see that despite not having many mage OSB in hand, your choices for setups to exploit boss weaknesses to fire, wind, earth, holy and darkness are quite formidable. I hope that my comment here ignites the spark of inspiration and confidence in you to improve your setups iteratively, be it to master magicite dungeons or tackle the hardest of content like Torments. Till then, all the best in your mage ing endeavours in game.

4. OhCanada

OhCanada Foundation Member

Medals:
    @Omuno @Roche
    Actually I'm able to master all magicite in under 60 sec already. Since I don't have shout I've pretty much had to clear each of them with mages, other than Bismarck and Liquid Flame. I'm assuming that eventually the meta will shift again and we'll possibly get more tough event fights against elementally neutral bosses.

Really I just have a ton of shiny mage relics that I want to put together into the best possible team.

Another possibility that I didn't mention is bringing Tyro in place of Papalymo with a break and the 6* bard ability/wrath and RW a faithga.

Roche likes this.
  5. Roche

Roche July 2017 VIP

Friend Code:
    e7tB
    No worries! Mages will get a significant boost with ability buffs in future. E.g. chain -ga spells deals more hits per use instead of the current two hits. This means that even with no tweaking from your end, mage meta will eventually become more powerful thanks to this game mechanics change.

Also, Besides faithga, I believe that what would make your best team per element more powerful, would be CSB that are pro mage, like Shantoto CSB and Rinoa CSB.

OhCanada likes this.